• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I have a question??????

Are you still on a full liquid diet or pureed? Could something have possibly become stuck? I've had that happen and it hurts a lot.

First off, welcome to the board. The real question is "How long does the pain last?" If it goes away after an hour or so, check what you're eating to make sure that it is within your plan for two weeks out. If it isn't in the plan, take a step back and go back to the plan. If the pain lasts longer, call your Dr. Office as this could be a sign of a larger problem.

Frank

:cool:

Welcome aboard...

If your in pain call your surgeons office and talk to the nurse...

I started having some not to bad pain in my upper right belly just under my rib cage that radiated to my back and up into my right shoulder. Over a 2 week period my back started hurting along with the other symptoms.

My Surgeon ordered a HIDA Scan. Lo and behold my gallbladder had gone bad due to my rapid weight loss.

I am of the mind set that it is far better to be safe than sorry. I would rather look like a drama dork and call, especially since your not even a month out from surgery..

Good luck to you...

Welcome aboard...

If your in pain call your surgeons office and talk to the nurse...

I started having some not to bad pain in my upper right belly just under my rib cage that radiated to my back and up into my right shoulder. Over a 2 week period my back started hurting along with the other symptoms.

My Surgeon ordered a HIDA Scan. Lo and behold my gallbladder had gone bad due to my rapid weight loss.

I am of the mind set that it is far better to be safe than sorry. I would rather look like a drama dork and call, especially since your not even a month out from surgery..

Good luck to you...

Well you have a bunch of good suggestions here. No matter what if you are having a pain and it is lasting, call your Doctor and discuss this with him/her or the support team.

I remember one awful pain up in my shoulder. It was residual gas from the surgery. I did call the Doctor and his staff told me if the pain did not subside within the day to come in for a scan. It did subside. I actually used a heating pad along with my pain med.

The other main pains you will get is if you eat too fast and trap gas in your little stomach. You really have to learn to eat very slowly. As Frank and others have said if you are two weeks post op you should still be full liquids and/or puree. If you need to you should extend the amount of time on full liquids. All this your surgeon's team can help you figure out what is right for you. There is nothing that says you must move forward to the next stage of eating. Your body will tell you.

It is a learning experience. You will get better at it. It should take a good 20 minutes to 30 minutes to finish that one hard boiled egg. Have a couple of bites. Chew until it melts in your mouth. Pause and notice if you have some gas build up. You will learn how to sense that. Then BURP YOUR HEART AWAY LIKE A NEWBORN BABY. This brought me tremendous relief as I consumed my meal. Take a few bits, notice the gas build up, burp.

Also, someone here suggested trying Gas-X chewables. That helped me too. Now, I am out almost 3 months post op come this 2/4/2014 and a lot of these pains I have learned to control. Most important factor is DON'T EAT TOO FAST.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Being 5 years out a few days ago I am very familiar with pains. I fortunately had no gallbladder when I had my surgery. mine was an open bypass. I had stiches and staples and two hernia repairs in the process. all the suggestions are good. The worst pain I ever had was when I was on hard proteins, a few months out, and I was at work. I had eaten a processed pork patty. Well, I didn't chew well enough . . . a piece got stuck!!!. I had issues of the foamies, which was telling me that I was over full, but I had not eaten much at all. I was a bit confused by it of course. It just kept making me nauseous and I was feeling like I had to throw up. Well, eventually I did, multiple times, and the last time a larger chunk of food came back up. I talked ot the doc and he indicated that most likely the piece had gotten stuck heading into the digestive track, blocking everything else from going down. once it was freed, by my retching repeatedly for for over an hour, I was fine. I had all the dumping symptoms etc. along with it. So if you don't have dumping symptoms like retching, you probably don't have a blockage. Gas is another great culprit. Pre-suregery I never had gas or burped. Now, well lets just say, I regularly pass excess gas in one way or another.

Hope this helps. Remember, if symptoms don't subside in a day or are accute for over an hour, call the doc. or go to the emergency room!!! better safe than sorry.

Back