• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I have figured out how to manage "belching" and eating better

dancinbr

All of us who have had the gastric by-pass for sure and perhaps other operations find out that while eating/drinking excessive air gets into our stomachs.

It took me a few weeks to figure out how to manage this better.

When drinking water I have a camelback sippy cup to help minimize air intake.

When eating I used to sit down and eat my whole meal (all 1/3 to 1/2 cup of it) and end up very uncomfortable.

The reason was a lot of air was trapped in my stomach along with the food I had just consumed.

Well, here is something you all should consider. We have been told to eat more slowly. I agree. I was doing that.

More importantly, what I am doing now is taking one or two bites (small bites folks!) of food (generally protein such as chicken, beef, pork, egg, etc.) and then I stop. I don't take anything else in until I have had time to get what air is now in my stomach out. So I stop and burp. Sound familiar. We have to behave like new born babies. They would drink a 1/2 ounce or an ounce of milk/formula and then you would pick them up and burp them before continuing their bottle.

Guess what. Start to do the same for yourself. So I take one or two bites maybe even three and then stop. I sit at the table and as quietly as possible I burp up the air that is in my new small "baby" stomach. I don't eat anything else until I do get a fair amount of air out by burping.

I feel a whole lot better for it too. I don't feel the pressure building up inside. I feel a whole lot more comfortable too. After I get the air out I take another bite or 2 or maybe 3 but no more and they are small bites. Then I burp again. This automatically extends the amount of time it takes you to consume your 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food.

By the time I finish, I have pretty much burped out all the air in my stomach and I feel fine after the meal; no more discomfort.

So I pass this on to any of you to consider. We are all faced with this "belching" and air in the stomach problem.

Good Luck,

Ralph

Great advice I'll try it. Curiously, the sleeve has a greater chance for gas and acid reflux. So this trick might just work, I hope so.

I am feeling so much better by following this technique. Even this morning as I was having my premier protein shake, I would stop after 2 or 3 sips of the shake and wait to get the gas out. It is absolutely amazing how much gas gets generated from just sipping a couple of sips of the shake. So I sit there and go burp burp burpity burp and feel so much better. We will NOT talk about the toot toots that happen as well. I do leave the room for that.

:)

I can feel the build up in my stomach. Become more conscious of the feelings right at the top of your chest bone where your new little stomach is located. Actually, the solar plexus is probably a better locator. I can feel the build up and I can feel the relief when I let the burps out. If you let it go too far it becomes uncomfortable.

I was trying some pineapple last night and I had 3 or 4 pieces before I got around to burping. That was a mistake. It took me a half hour to get comfortable again. So burp and burp often.

Ralph

Still burping a lot.

I have my second follow up with my surgeon coming up next week. I will discuss this. My passage way may be a bit narrow and need more time to expand.

I am interested to hear what he has to say.

Meanwhile, I continue to sip, stop and burp.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I am still having the Hic-A-Burps, not as frequently now as I was in the beginning..

I spoke to my nurse about it and I was told that I am probably having diaphragm spasms due to the surgery, my asthma and the temporary "trauma" our insides suffer from surgery.

I can say this is far better than the esophageal spasms I had all my life up until surgery.

Back