• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I was doing so well, then...

donald1122

I had my surgery in July, and I was doing so well. I was under 400 lb./28.57 Stones for the first time in over 12 years, and then all of a sudden. BAM, I am back up to 430 lb./30.71 Stones.
It all started in October, when I was trying to purchase (of all things) a restaurant. I had everything set, but could not find funding (The fact that the government shut down had a lot to do with it), and it put me in a mass depression. I am working on getting out of the depression, but I cannot seem to lose any more weight, and am afraid I will gain more back.
I don't know what to do, so this is the first step that I have taken, finding support.
HELP, I can't do this alone after all.

I had my surgery in July, and I was doing so well. I was under 400 lb./28.57 Stones for the first time in over 12 years, and then all of a sudden. BAM, I am back up to 430 lb./30.71 Stones.
It all started in October, when I was trying to purchase (of all things) a restaurant. I had everything set, but could not find funding (The fact that the government shut down had a lot to do with it), and it put me in a mass depression. I am working on getting out of the depression, but I cannot seem to lose any more weight, and am afraid I will gain more back.
I don't know what to do, so this is the first step that I have taken, finding support.

Donald,

Good for you.

It sounds like you went back to old habits.

Get back to your surgeon and his support team. Get back to basics. Consult again with your nutrionist and remember your regimen, your new regimen and what it means for you to lead a healthier life.

Don't go it alone. It is so difficult on your own. Find a local support group, life successful people. Surround yourself with positive forces.

You can do it.

OK you gained some weight. Back to the surgeon.

Perhaps you may want to consider another approach rather than the lap band. That is a personal solution. From what I am hearing the success rates are far better with the sleeve and/or the gastric bypass.

At your weight you must get it off. It is dangerous and you know it.

Best wishes,

Ralph

The thing that stands out in your post is that you not only recognize the trigger, but you also recognize you need to do something about it. Also, none of us can do this alone.

All of us have had some type of issue we need to overcome, you are not alone. I would not only make an appointment with my surgeon, but also my nutritionist and a doctor who can help you out of this depression. It is a serious disease and you needn't suffer it any longer.

What type of restaurant are you trying to open? Perhaps you might want to rethink that until you are a bit further along in you weight loss goals.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck and please keep us posted!

There's probably a support group in your area that can provide information to you and I'm sure your surgeon will be anxious to help. Congratulations on realizing your need for help. You are to be commended for exercising good common sense. You asked what you might want to do and Ralph was right in going back to basics. I read an article about this exact thing. It recommended eating measured tiny amounts of food several times a day or drinking protein drinks only for a week or so (as if you're preparing for surgery or have just had it) to get your body used to that again. High protein, zero or carbs less than 20 grams a day, lots of water and ice chips, no caffeine (it stimulates appetite), and walking. You can start walking in your driveway or parking lot back and forth then going from there. Little by little your body will remember what it's supposed to do.

Donald, Just a suggestion.. Eat protein, chicken, beef, lean pork, and fish. Eat salad with oil and vinegar. Green beans are a good vegetable choice as they have very few calories. Eat an egg for breakfast with cheese over it. Eat like this and you will lose weight.

HI DONALD.. I got interrupted while I was writing my last post and I sent it before I was done. I suppose you already know what kind of things to eat as you had lost weight in the past but I just sent you my suggestions which should produce rapid weight loss. I know emotional eating is always a factor, food is a comfort when we are upset. We are all here for you, we have all had problems with weight. Just hang in there and you are a guy and will lose weight faster than us girls. :) Think of how much better you will feel when you slim down. It's so worth it!!! Your health will be so much better. Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne

Hi Donald, welcome to the group. Checking with your doctor and nutritionist is a great place to start. Other things that will help, start journaling all your food and liquids. Write down everything that goes in your mouth, it keeps you accountable to yourself. Set small, attainable goals and reward yourself for accomplishing them (food does not count as a reward). Finally, only weigh yourself once a week and take measurements at the same time. Once you start and the weight begins to come off it will get easier.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Donald, welcome to the group. Checking with your doctor and nutritionist is a great place to start. Other things that will help, start journaling all your food and liquids. Write down everything that goes in your mouth, it keeps you accountable to yourself. Set small, attainable goals and reward yourself for accomplishing them (food does not count as a reward). Finally, only weigh yourself once a week and take measurements at the same time. Once you start and the weight begins to come off it will get easier.

Frank

:cool:

Frank brings up a very important point. Journal everything you consume.

When you do it plays out right in front of you.

We are supposed to do protein first then if there is still room a little fruits or vegetable.

I journal everything. I make sure I get my 80 to 90 grams of protein each day. I take my bariatric multivitamins, my calcium and my Vitamid D3.

I use a wonderful website for keeping track of my intake and goals: www.caloriecount.com. It makes journaling effortless. It has a huge database of foods.

The most vital thing I focus on after all the above is NOT to go over 1200 calories a day. I don't even consider exercise on this either to come up with net calories. I simply do not consume more than 1200 calories a day. I think in the almost 3 months post op I may have gone over the limit once and not by much.

This is so important. If you are going to succeed, you have to be accountable for what it going in your mouth.

After that exercise becomes so important to tone your muscles, build muscle and then tighten skin as you lose weight.

But accountability begins with knowing how much you take in during the day. It will help you to plan better when you make a mistake too.

Ralph

Frank brings up a very important point. Journal everything you consume.

When you do it plays out right in front of you.

We are supposed to do protein first then if there is still room a little fruits or vegetable.

I journal everything. I make sure I get my 80 to 90 grams of protein each day. I take my bariatric multivitamins, my calcium and my Vitamid D3.

I use a wonderful website for keeping track of my intake and goals: www.caloriecount.com. It makes journaling effortless. It has a huge database of foods.

The most vital thing I focus on after all the above is NOT to go over 1200 calories a day. I don't even consider exercise on this either to come up with net calories. I simply do not consume more than 1200 calories a day. I think in the almost 3 months post op I may have gone over the limit once and not by much.

This is so important. If you are going to succeed, you have to be accountable for what it going in your mouth.

After that exercise becomes so important to tone your muscles, build muscle and then tighten skin as you lose weight.

But accountability begins with knowing how much you take in during the day. It will help you to plan better when you make a mistake too.

Ralph

I love caloriecount.com for keeping track of protein and nutrition. I feel lost without my tracking app

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't been on line, but my computer sounds like it want's to die on me, and it has been freezing a lot. But that is no excuse, because of the 7 of us in the house, everyone has a laptop or computer.

That is also one of the problems, seven people that I have to make meals for (my wife and I are the primary cooks) and so we have to cook for the kids, and sometimes, it is so hard to watch them eat foods that I can't touch anymore. And yet, if I am not at the table, then I feel like I am neglecting them. Sometimes it is a no-win scenario.

I have downloaded an app on my phone that allows me to track what I eat, but I haven't used it.

I know that protein is my best food, and I do eat chicken, beef and pork, but I do it all the time.

Getting back in touch with my nutritionist is the next thing. She should be able to tell me where to find a support group.

Wish me luck.
Thanks for the start.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't been on line, but my computer sounds like it want's to die on me, and it has been freezing a lot. But that is no excuse, because of the 7 of us in the house, everyone has a laptop or computer.

That is also one of the problems, seven people that I have to make meals for (my wife and I are the primary cooks) and so we have to cook for the kids, and sometimes, it is so hard to watch them eat foods that I can't touch anymore. And yet, if I am not at the table, then I feel like I am neglecting them. Sometimes it is a no-win scenario.

I have downloaded an app on my phone that allows me to track what I eat, but I haven't used it.

I know that protein is my best food, and I do eat chicken, beef and pork, but I do it all the time.

Getting back in touch with my nutritionist is the next thing. She should be able to tell me where to find a support group.

Wish me luck.
Thanks for the start.

If I were you what I would do is talk to your kids that you need their help to eat as you do. If you make meals for your kids like lean meats, vegetables, (potatoes for them but maybe only a dab for you), no fried foods, fruit for desert etc. They will be healthier and it will be good for you to sit down and be able to eat and enjoy food with them. Mealtime shouldn't be a punishment but rather a celebration of a healthier way of eating. :)

Wish me luck.
Thanks for the start.

Donald,

So good to hear from you again. You had me worried just a bit.

Good for you going back to your nutritionist. I also agree with some of the great advice Cheyenne has posted.

So, often our children learn the same bad habits that made us obese. This is an opportunity for you to change their ways before this becomes an issue for them.

Best wishes,

And keep posting.

You are on your way to a much healthier and happier lifestyle.

Ralph

Welcome Donald, All good advice given. Giving up is a choice and one it sounds like you don't want to make. We are not any different than you. We all have our demons and trying to manage them one meal at a time. Thinking a lot about food equals comfort lately. When you think about it, what happens is the complete opposite. There is no comfort in feeling sick, disappointed and scared. Comfort is caring for yourself knowing you have done your best in all things each day. Will we remember this each day, no. I think as everything else the more we do it the more we will want to. Come here, connect with people that support you, read everything you can, be kind and compassionate to yourself, but hold yourself accountable. I am really glad you reached out.

Back