• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new here!

amynadine

Hello Everyone!

My I am 1 week out from my surgery and I need help. First of all...I only lost 5 pounds since my surgery...How is that possible...so disappointed? Also I am so sick of the protein shakes they make me gag and I have to force myself and dread it. Can you give me any ideas at this stage what else I can have to help my protein. I have been eating yogert for breakfast for 2 days. HELP....and Thank you.

amynadine, You are way too close to your surgery to be worrying about how much/little you are losing. Give your body a few weeks to adjust to the major changes you have put it through. You may still have water gain from surgery which will resolve itself.
If you are eating yogurt, changing to Greek yogurt will give you a lot more protein per serving.
Welcome to the forum!

You still have the fluids in you from the IVs you had while in the hospital. Skim milk also has protein.
I for one have tried every protein powder known to mankind and dislike most of them. Found out I can't do the chocolate ones-pouchie doesn't like. I do have one that I can put in anything to use and that is Unjury's Unflavored one.

Carol

I know ugh

I hated the shakes at the hospital so I tasted my cousin. (I don't see to often ) Loved it. Its cheap too.Its made by Body fortress Its called Super Whey Protein. And it also contains Isoolate which is the best form of protein for our bodies. It is full of good stuff calcuim,low sugar like 1%fat 2% more you have to read it. I went to vitamin world nothing there I liked. And expensive. I use fat free milk and part water. While your there check out the shaker bottle with a metal ball in it, its and its at walmart. All my vitamins come from there. Also add I use equal to it and it takes like a milk shake I am not kidding. it has like 65 mil of protein. The water is cheaper there too. I drink vanilla & Strawberry but it comes in chocolate. I don't like chocolate anymore after the surgery lol. Drink that water no matter how yukky it maybe. Cause It keeps you losing weight. Add I use grape hiawian punch 10 for $1.00 but they have tons of sugar free favors and brands. No eating sends a message to your brain saying this person is straving lets hold on to what we have, thus slowing weight loss. Exercise regularly what ever you chose. Also they now have Diet not to be confused with no added sugar hot chocolate made by Swiss Miss and at the same place the other hot chocolates are. Change this stuff and watch the numbers drop and don't get on that scale but once a week. I go once a month. Your mood and mind all work together in this body of ours and it controls our weight. Just I think the shake is 15.96. for a big two pound canister. The vitamins are very well priced. I bet you will be feeling better soon. And you will like the shake I feel I am cheating when I drink they are so good. You can message me private and if you like I will add you to my friends list. Get going girl you can do it.
Hugs Angie

Angie hi i think we are buying the same protein at walmart i have chocolate and strawberry and payday i am gonna try thevanilla one that also comes in the gallon size contianer. Today i had a package of vanilla from the carnation varietybox i mixed the vanilla with an orange and a container of orange creme yogurt from (walmart) itmade the best protein shake i have ever had i also mixed it with skim milk. I am determined to find new ways to make these shakes taste better.
Donna

Hi i am roxanne.the shakes will get better and the weight will come off. Your taste will get better in time .i made the mistake of drinking sodas because that was all that tasted good to me .don't do that .just try to be patient .remember you have just had major surgery.hope this helps.

Donna we are I am sure we are. Fills like I am cheating when I add equal lol I am using vanilla now, just finished strawberry. Its great isn't it. Good luck and keep on losing.
Hugs,
Angie

Hi Carol, My name is beth I just got home after my two days stay at the hospital.I am having trouble emotionally depressed I guess. I am not sure what I am suppose to do. next. I have had the gastric also. I live in watertown, ny.

Hi Carol, My name is beth I just got home after my two days stay at the hospital.I am having trouble emotionally depressed I guess. I am not sure what I am suppose to do. next. I have had the gastric also. I live in watertown, ny.

Sorry, not Carol, lol. I thought I would chime in here. Some depression is normal after any surgery, and according to my physician, is a pretty normal occurrence after WLS. Please let your physician know, and please reach out to someone if you are feeling bad thoughts. What exactly are you unsure of? Your depression? What you should be eating? Let us know how we can help.

Hi y'all I had gastric bypass in 2000. I lost 180 lbs. I have gain 20 lbs back. I'm working on it. My husband just had gastric bypass n December 2012. He is a month out. And he I'd bummed out because he has only lost 27 lbs. He has no strength and is week. I can't get him in the mood to exercise. I am. But that don't seem to help any ideas.

Hi everyone, I am also struggling with the protein shakes. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery. I can not force those drinks down with a stick! I am going to try the super whey protein that was suggested. At this point, I would try anything. I have become extremely week from lack of protein and tired of feeling so weak.

Hi everyone. For those having problems with the shakes after surgery. I too could not stand the shakes after surgery, so I tried Isopure Zero carb drink. It has 40 grams of protein in a 20 oz drink. It is not the tastiest, but I was able to handle it. It got me the protein I need and also counted towards my liquid intake. Hope this helps.

As for weight loss, someone said it best, it's too soon to be worried about it. I gained just over 10 pounds while in the hospital, took a few days for that to come off and get on a losing track. Keep working at it, consult your doc if you can't get enough protein in.

Keep us up to date on your progress, we care.

Try GNC, that's where I get it. Try the different flavors, some I won't drink at all, others are ok.

:cool:

Back