• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm so happy to have found support on-line!! Anyone want to hear me ramble?

terry711

Hi...my name is Terry and I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I had gastric bypass and in the hospital everything went well, except I was draining a lot. My surgeon said, 'you damn redheads!" Believe it or not, I've heard that before from doctors...I seem to be in the "if something odd can happen, it will happen to me" group. So, about a week after coming home, I called the surgeon's office because I was running out of pain meds. I was concerned because I was in ALOT of pain and was frustrated because I expected to be off them sooner than that. The surgeon had me come in and he said I had a hematoma...not serious, it would eventually resolve itself and all he could do was tell me to rest, take the pain meds and let my body heal myself.

The surgeon explained last week that I bled a lot during surgery and where he normally uses a stitch, he had to use several on me to stop the bleeding. He also had to tie them "really tight". So, some of the bleeding pooled under the surface of the skin...combine that with normal swelling, the internal stitches are beyond tight and I'm in agony anytime I breathe, let alone it sit down, lay down, stand up, etc. In theory, everything will resolve itself when those stitches dissolve. I'm just struggling to be positive as I wait...being in pain is exhausting! I want to get to the positive stuff...I want to start working at losing weight...Heck, I want to go shopping ... not to buy, but to try on! That will have to wait until I can bear the thought of a zipper and button on my stomach without breaking into a cold sweat.

Thank you for letting me vent...any positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Believe it or not, your post initially had me ROFL LMAO because . . . I'm a redhead, too. I accompany you in that group "if anything odd can happen" and I have heard the same comments from doctors and surgeons all my life.

As to the pain and frustration you are having now, I sympathize competely. As for physical help, the best suggestion I can make is to stay hydrated. It will help. And, if your surgeon allows, take your fiber; it should coat and soothe your pouch. For mental help, check online for various breathing exercises. Some of them are quite phenomenal.

Soothe the mind and the body will follow. After all, they are part and parcel of a single entity. You!

You seem to be secure in the knowledge that things will get better. You're doing great!

Too Funny about the Red heads, but loved hearing ur story. I'm new here also and don't know where to begin. So Help if possible anybody!

I'm glad you laughed! I know I will laugh sometime, too...right now it just hurts too much! But, thanks ... I'm staying hydrated pretty well including my protein shake. I'm on phase three, but I'm still going really easy ...my dr said to wait to start vitamins until I'm feeling better. But, fiber...did you mean from a supplement or from food?

Hi Terry, Welcome. Try not to laugh, it hurts, that is one thing I remember quite well, my grandkids would come over and they would love to make me laugh just to see the funny look on my face:eek: It's funny now but it was painful then, hang in there it will get better, get lots of rest:cool: Tom

Hello Terry711. I am new here and in my few days of posting I have learned a lot. As far as a red head, I have a girlfriend who is a red head and she also has some
very different things happen to her too. Your sense of humor is great. I am a strong believer of " Laughter is the Best Medicine". No calories too!!! But since you are hurting that isn't an option right now. I see that you love to watch movies...I too enjoy a good movie. I noticed that you like walking...maybe you can help me get motivated to start a walking plan. I can always find excuses not to walk. Not that I can't walk, but just can't seem to fit it in to my day's schedule. I have never been an exercise person, but I am going to be. That is my goal and plan!!
Take care of you, Terry711 and hope to be sharing our journeys soon.

Hi Terry,

Fellow redhead here! Just a thought, especially with all the blood loss, watch out for your iron levels. Especially if you're still pre-menapause. It can get low pretty easy and if it gets too low you'll need infusions. If you begin to feel weak ask your doc about iron supplements. I use tender iron which is specially made for RNY and not a belly burner. I know, similar to how we can only take calcium citrate, we can only absorb/take certain types iron. PM if you need more info. I know where of I speak - I'm getting infusions now.

As far as pain meds, you might not be absorbing those well. I under pain management for a severe back injury and some of the meds, especially tablets that are time released, don't work well. I had liq. oxy when I came out of surg. and was on it about a week. Also, did you have it done laproscopic or open? Open surg. hurts like hell.

Hope you're feeling better soon,
Deb

Back