• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

in a rut please help

I had surgery in May last year and am at 332 but my surgeon wants me below 300 by the 12 of next month and I am trying hard. I went to doing slim fast and smart ones like I did before the surgery and I found mysel hungry. So I went homemae wedding soupd due to the fact that mostly all ingredients have protein in them including spinach. And I am doing kickboxing and of course walking but am not losing.but a few pounds. I feel great but everyone around me keeps saying we think you should lose more and I am like hello I was 457 pounds before the surgery I then getting down to 332 is a good deal of weight to.have lost. Do I want to lose more yes. I do not know what to do its.much harder to exercise due to weather but I make the time and found that I can still do them. I just hate the way everyone is making me feel but I guess they all thought that things would magically go away but that's the thing it won't and they need.to be.happy with what I have done thus.far. any suggestions please..

I had surgery in May last year and am at 332 but my surgeon wants me below 300 by the 12 of next month and I am trying hard. I went to doing slim fast and smart ones like I did before the surgery and I found mysel hungry. So I went homemae wedding soupd due to the fact that mostly all ingredients have protein in them including spinach. And I am doing kickboxing and of course walking but am not losing.but a few pounds. I feel great but everyone around me keeps saying we think you should lose more and I am like hello I was 457 pounds before the surgery I then getting down to 332 is a good deal of weight to.have lost. Do I want to lose more yes. I do not know what to do its.much harder to exercise due to weather but I make the time and found that I can still do them. I just hate the way everyone is making me feel but I guess they all thought that things would magically go away but that's the thing it won't and they need.to be.happy with what I have done thus.far. any suggestions please..

Hi Traceylynn..

I think you have done wonderful! You have lost 125 lb. and that is great deal of weight since last May. As time progresses we all lose slower than in the beginning, we hit plateaus, then we drop more weight. Just tell the doctor that you are trying hard but your weight loss has slowed down.. Your doctor probably means well but he shouldn't make you feel bad. Just know that you have done super losing weight and if other people don't think so, well thats just too bad!!!

Cheyenne

Traceylynn, that is great weight loss. How long have you been doing the kick boxing? They say that your body gets use to things and will not lose as fast. Try adding something like jumping jacks or jogging in place. I was told to watch the fat/sugar intake and only have 1200 calories a day. I wish you the best. Keep up the good work. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Congratulations on your success. I think this conversation should be between you and your surgeon. Others, even family, telling you what you should do and where you should be is just not helpful. In the end the only person we have to answer to is ourselves. Support groups are great as we can share without judgement ( most times). They also offer what has worked and not worked for others. There is a wealth of information available to you. I think you have done amazing and you are not finished until you want to be. One choice at a time we can do it.

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on coming this far. I do have to ask if the Dr knows you are using slim fast. It doesn't have much protein and this is just my team but I was told to avoid things like slim fast and smart ones as they are diet foods. We are supposed to be doing things we can do for the rest of our lives. That being said I know how you feel. I did go back and do protein shakes for three days to get my body out of the carb cycle. It worked wanders as I lost 7 lbs doing high protein. This was a welcome blessing after the plateau. It is okay that you want to hit your goals just be careful you are doing it in a way that will support being healthy for a lifetime.
Best wishes

Awesome job on your weight loss and exercise program...

You want want to stop the slim fast and look at Protein mixes such as Unjury(online and some surgeons offices carry it), WheyBolic 63 (GNC), Nectar(Vitamin Shoppe), Premiere protein shakes (Wal_Mart and Costco) or other types of Low fat, low carb /no carb whey or soy proteins that are offered...

Ideally you should be using a protein powder that contains at least 20 grams to 30 / 35 grams of protein, 5 grams or less of carbs per serving, and not to forget low fat...

According to my Surgeon and Nutritionist, my ideal protein intake per day is to be 70 to 83 grams of protein... I am on a regular diet now. My menu consists of fresh fish, cheese, fruits, steak, chicken, veggies, black bean, fat free vegan refried beans, yogurt and other foods. I still supplement with a shake or 2 a day.

I stay on the higher end of my protein numbers and have found that I am so far (knocking on wood) not suffering noticeable hair loss, fatigue, skin issues or anything else protein deficient related. My nails are growing like weeds too.

Back