• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Interested in learning about experiences of those 5+ years post op

taramati

Hi there,

My name is Dawn and I had Roux-en-Y surgery in Atlanta on Jan 3, 2006. I read somewhere that if someone was going to backslide, it would be around year 5. I am very interested in stories and experiences of anyone 5 or more years post op whether they continue to maintain or whether they find themselves having difficulty. Please feel free to contact me via personal message.

The truth is that for bariatric surgery the long term success rate is forty percent over all. That compares to only 3 percent for all traditional weight loss long term. Its not that the surgeons aren't doing their stuff or the surgery has failed.
I know that I don't intend to end up on the red side of the ledger.

My hero at work is a woman that lost 160 lb with a lap band and has kept it off 6 yrs. I have had lunch with her and she eats healthy..and she told me she has kept processed and junk foods out of her life. She has been an inspiration to me to see someone be this far out and not regain. It can be done :) believe and achieve!

I have no doubt you can do it. There is inspiration all around us and some times we find motivation in strange places. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Back