• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Is anyone else disabled in the group?

bartman

I am in a wheelchair due to multiple sclerosis. Had the sleeve in April. Would like to talk w/others who lack mobility.

I do not have a cetrain disability persay other than disability, but I cant get along very well I can walk but only very short distance like from the house to the car. For shopping I have to use a scooter. For doctors appt etc.. I use a walker. Its very frustrating I'm praying the surgery and losing weight helps. Its very difficult to xercise as well.

I am not in a wheelchair (though I was officially issued one). Did anyone tell you about exercise bands? What sorts of tools were you given? Did anyone talk to you about exercise alternatives?

I have had paralyzed legs for 3 yrs. I have many alternatives. Just looking for someone else disables. Thanks for asking tho.

I know how frustrating it is, believe me! My legs have been paralyzed for 3 yrs. Doubt that WLS will make a difference but I can hope. I will be less of a burden for those who help me tho:)

Yes, it will Bartman. Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss already!

Hi Bartman,

I am not technically disabled but do require a walker when out in open spaces due to frequent falling and severe back pain. I am hoping that with the loss in weight the need for the walker will diminish. I just started walking in the grocery store instead of using a riding cart so things are getting better. It is frustrating not to be able to do for yourself. I can't lift anything heavy due to torn rotator cuffs which the surgeon prefers to treat medically. So every time I get a family member here they take the heavy things out of the car for me.

Hello i am denise i to am disabled, mine is more for breathing i am going in for by pass in nov, i am 55and want to be around to see my grandson grow up.i am proud of the rest of u in how much u have lost on ur own,i keep gaining.but i feel good about what i have desided to do. wish all good luck and best wishe's.

Welcome, Denise,

I'm glad you found your way here. Lots of good information and support available to you.

Your goal weight is 100lb? My goodness, you must be a tiny thing.

I am short but not petite, wear a size 8-1/2 shoe. Big hands and head to match.

There's an old song, some of which goes, "5ft 2, eyes of blue . . . 101 pounds of fun." Goodness, me! I suspect I would look like a cadaver at that weight.

May I ask how tall you are?

i stand 4ft 10, so 100lb's i would look fine even at 99lb's. what TBD stand for if i may ask? ur very sweet to welcome me, i am hopeing to make new friend's here and have support that i need, a few people that i have told are negitve about what i am going to do, but the man in my life wishe's that we could both have it done so that we can do this together, he's so sweet to me. i am glad he is in my life,but it's not the same, i do hope someone understand's that.

Hi, Denise,

Yes, at 4'10", 100 pounds sounds reasonable. I'm 5'1-1/2", 5'2" on a good day, with an extra deep breath and my fingers crossed. My aunt used to claim 5'. Sure, she was. On a good day, with a couple of extra breaths . . . and wearing heels! lol

TBD stands for To Be Determined. I have no date set yet. I am self-pay, no insurance help; funding is a problem. Some surgeons/bariatric centers have payment plans. My surgeon of choice has none. I will probably go to Mexico, like my son did. It has worked out well for him. I see no reason why it shouldn't work well for me, too.

Is your fella going to have wls at the same time? Or soon? We have a married couple here on the Forum who had wls on the same day. Pretty special.

right now they say a healthy fat if that make's sence, lol i hope all goes well for u, if the people that run the insurance companies had to go through this they wouldn't say no to people who want to have it done. i have medicare and they cover this so i lucked out with that. let me know how thing's are going.
have u read or heard anything about eating fresh fruit on if u can after surgery? i do like my fresh fruit in the summer and fall.

Hi Denise, Welcome to the support group. You have taken a step towards a wonderful group of people. It is soooo nice to have a husband on your side. Mine of 37 years is also my main support.

I have two granddaughters and one on the way. I babysit for our two year old granddaughter. I am going to teach her to live a healthy life and my way is to practice it myself so she can learn. I will teach her how to fly a kite and do so many outdoor activities.

I am 59 but not for long. I am approaching the BIG 60 in about 3 more weeks. Three days before my birthday I find out my surgery date. WooHoo!!!!

Please share your thoughts and journey with us as we share ours. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

I have two granddaughters and one on the way. I babysit for our two year old granddaughter. I am going to teach her to live a healthy life and my way is to practice it myself so she can learn. I will teach her how to fly a kite and do so many outdoor activities.

Is there any better way to teach than by example? I don't think so. Your grandchildren are lucky to have you. I bet your husband is, too!

Back