• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Is this normal?

StacyBlue

I am 8 days out of surgery and have lost almost 21lbs. I know a lot of that was probably water, but it's leading me to ask...Is this normal?

As long as you are feeling well and are following your tx team's instructions it sounds like you are doing okay. If you are concerned, talk to your surgeon. I think what is normal for you might be different for others. It was not my experience. Good luck.

It is probably OK if you are getting all your protein and water in. Best to ask your Center/Surgeon. People often lose quickly in the beginning because of the gain you experience with the surgery. They pump you full of IV fluids so losing in the beginning is usually normal. It will slow down as time passes. Just stick with your program. Joy

hello

Don't worry about rapid weight loss , the first few months are amazing on how much one looses. Then it tends to slow down. Continue taking your supplements and proteins . Drink your fluids to avoid dehydration and when you start on solids eat slowly and chew all very well if not you can feel nauseous and sick. I ate too fast one time and passed out (all went black and I woke up on my kitchen floor surrounded by my dogs wondering what happened to me)

Everyone is different, hon, but yes ... if you're feeling okay and things are progressing as they should be, your weight loss is great! You have a significant amount to release, and it's okay to celebrate your first victory! Congratulations! ;)

As rekinurse said, if you're doing everything right, then the loss is fantastic. Congrats. I know for me it took a few days after surgery for the weight to start falling off. At the eight day mark I was down 15 pounds. Keep this up and you'll qualify as a big LOSER! in no time.

Frank

:cool:

I agree with everyone else. As long as you're following the doctor's orders for water and protein, I wouldn't worry about it. I remember losing 3-4 pounds a day at first. It was great! It doesn't stay that way, so don't be alarmed when it slows down considerably. Your body will need time to catch up to the major changes in your system. Best of luck to you!

It will

It will slow down the important thing is to continue going down and not return to gaining, I used to not even feel hunger after the surgery but now I want to eat again

Back