• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

IVC Filter

I haven't had one but it is my understanding that if you are in danger of deep vein thrombosis that might detach and lodge in the vessels of the heart or brain the IVC filter will prevent that. There is lots of info about them on the web. It sounds like your surgeon is being very very careful to prevent complications. I know that isn't much help to stop the worrying but maybe you can question your surgeon about why and what he expects it to do for you. Good luck Joy

I'm having mine on Monday 7/22. I was really scared as well, but the more I found out the less afraid I was. I figured that one of the big reasons I was having WLS was to avoid a stroke or heart attack, and this is doing the exact same thing for us as we undergo the surgery and recovery. At least, that's how I feel. Talk with your doc if you still have concerns after you learn more-that's what he's there for!

Best wishes!
Mimi

Back