• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Jello Popsicles

Pat99

I ran out of sugar free popsicles and didn’t want to go to the store so I came up with this recipe. The flavor combinations are endless and you can use whatever you have on hand like strawberries, peaches, melon, etc. Or you could just make them plain. The Jello gives the pops a different texture instead of the typical lump of ice we’re all used too. I think they’re very yummy!

JELLO POPSICLES

INGREDIENTS:
Small box of sugar free orange gelatin
Water and ice cubes
1 tablespoon non-dairy powdered coffee creamer (or powdered milk)
1 tablespoon sweetened coconut (optional)

METHOD:
Using a 2 cup glass measuring cup with pouring spout heat about 3/4 cup water until almost boiling in the microwave. Add Jello stirring until dissolved. Add 1 tablespoon of powdered non-dairy creamer OR powdered milk and stir well. Add enough ice cubes to make about 1-1/2 cups. The ice will cool the Jello down faster and prepare it for the next step. Stir until ice is almost melted.

Put the cooled Jello into a small blender like the Bullet or Ninja or use a regular blender with a capacity of at least 20 ounces. Add 1 tablespoon coconut. Do not blend hot Jello in a blender or you run the risk of getting burned from steam expansion.

Blend thoroughly. The mixture will expand and become frothy. Pour mixture back into the measuring cup and if necessary add enough cold water to make 2 cups and stir well.

On a dinner plate arrange six 3 ounce Dixie cups. Slowly pour equal amounts of Jello mixture into each cup until about 1/8 inch from the top. Place plate with filled cups into freezer for 10 minutes. This should set the Jello enough to hold popsicle sticks in place in the center of each cup. Push the sticks all the way to the bottom of each cup. Freeze for at least 4 hours then transfer the pops into a freezer bag for storage. Leave the pops in the Dixie cups until ready to eat. When you are ready to eat one you will need to run some warm water on the sides of the cup then gently squeeze the sides to release the pop. ENJOY!!!

As written this will make 6 pops at 17.5 calories and less than 1 gram of protein each.

I made the recipe shown last night and when I had one I decided I would like them sweeter. I made a different flavor combination this morning using strawberry Jello with 4 large frozen strawberries plus 8 packets of non-calorie sweetenner. I buy Kirkland brand sweetener from Costco for just under $12 for 1,500 packets which lasts me for over a year. I used 1 tablespoon of powdered milk instead of the non-dairy powder. They turned out very good. I have a lot of small boxes of sugar free Jello left over from my pre-surgery diet and phase 1 meal plan so this will be a great way to use them :) :) :)

If I had carrots in the house I would have put a small amount into the orange Jello. Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh...don't tell your kids *LOL* It justs adds a little texture and makes it more interesting.

Hay I really like the Idea of the orange and cream jello pops and Pat the idea of carrots in the orange pops is cool the texture of coconut but not the fat. Is coconut high in protine?

By adding only 1 tablespoon of coconut the amount of fat, sugar and protein is insignificant. If I remember correctly there was 1 gram of protein for the tablespoon of coconut and a total of 4 grams of protein for the box of Jello. So the entire recipe has 5 grams of protein divided between 6 pops which makes the protein less than 1 gram for each pop. By using a tablespoon of powdered milk you might get another gram of protein which would make each pop have 1 gram of protein-not enough to get excited about :)

Yes, I think the carrot would add a very similar texture as the coconut and would taste just as good. Without the coconut or carrot the pop would be like those creamy orange push up's in a tube like I remember as a kid :)

I bet you could add a protein shot for some of the liquid in the popsicles too.

Yes you could add a protein shot but it would add a significant amount of calories to an otherwise almost calorie free treat. I like to snack on sugar free low calorie popsicles when I feel I need to have something to hold me over until my next meal or snack. I sometimes find myself having 2 or 3 of them so adding protein is not an option for me. But for people who are not able to eat many calories a day and have an issue with getting their protein in it would be an excellent idea.

Strawberries and cream

:cool: Next time i go to the stor I'm going to buy some suger free jello. I'm going to get some strawberrie and make strawberries and cream popsicles

If you don't have any popsicle sticks use heavy duty plastic spoons or even knives. Stay away from the forks though, the tines could break from freezing.

Back