• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just getting started

jebeling76

Hello there I'm new to all of this. I have my very first appointment coming up on the 4 of June. I have so many questions to ask but do know who to turn to until I meet with my doctor. What is the time frame from your very first doctor visit until you surgery? Did the surgery play a big role in your home life? I know after my mom got her's done she left my dad. They say that 80% don't make it. I pray that is wrong. Anyway any help would be greatly needed. Thanks Jay

Hi Jay,

There are several different factors to consider. I found the best place to start was not necessarily a doctor's appointment. I started with a seminar at the Bariatric Center closest to my home. It was mainly informational. The next step (I found out I did it backwards) was a consult from my primary physician. At the seminar I filled out the insurance information and we went from there. My Center knew all the insurance requirements for various companies and they emailed me with all the information about requirements for insurance and requirements of the surgeon (ie. all the studies that had to be done first) and what payments I would have to make out of pocket. Then it would have taken six months to complete my insurance requirements before surgery was actually scheduled and they said it could take about two months depending on how busy the surgeon was before I actually got a date. As it turned out I happened to get a date much faster because I had met so many requirements already. Some people have had to wait longer and some shorter depending on insurance. Use the time for studying up on what you have to do to get ready. Ask questions, do internet searches, and check out your physician and what success he or she has had. Try to find a Center that offers a support group. Good luck. Remember bariatric surgery is a tool, you still have to do the work and follow the rules. Joy

Joy thank you for that. I have made the appointment with my general doctor. And done the online seminar that the bariatric office told me I could watch. I know I have got lots of the stuff done that needs to be done for my general doctor said over half of it is done. I working on not smoking now got to be smoke free for 3 months and then for life. Started a high protein diet, stop drinking soda, and have joined a support that my Physt. wants me to join. Where I live there are not that many support groups. I can only find two and they are on the same day and at the same time and they only meet once a month. That is why I have tried to online support groups. I just it all goes good so that I can get the Bariatric surgery. My mom, aunt and uncle all have had it done. My uncle gained all his back. I feel like that was a waste of life. It's not all the time that you get a 2nd chance to change your life and that is how I feel about it. Jay

I question that eighty per cent figure, it is much easier to lose your focus after you achieve your goal than before. Your motivation and momentum are in full gear during your drive to lose weight. it's the period after where those who make their weight need to have strategies to maintain. The statistic I am most familiar with is only three per cent of people who lose significant weight manage keep it off for non surgery types. Your concerns make sense and you need to be fully informed before you make your commitment. If you do decide to have the surgery you will find like most of us here, it was the best decision we have made in our lives. I hope you will make full use of the accumulated knowledge and experience here on this site and the best way when you have a specific question is to do a search in each forum in which you are interested in; You will find all the past posts on that topic, literally a mountain of information in each forum.

cheers

Hello Jay,
My process probably didn't take as long as some people's did. I went to my first required group educational session with the bariatric surgeons in August. I asked my husband to attend with me, so he would understand the process and what I'd be going through. We discussed the different types of surgery and which one would be best. He agreed that the sleeve was what fit my lifestyle the best and he's been very supportive ever since. I stayed on top of the rest of the appointments, making sure I set one per month with my doctor's office, and two with the psychiatrist, and followed any other suggestions the bariatric clinic gave me. They've truly seen in all in terms of what insurance companies will require to get approval. I wanted to have surgery in December because I have a small Christmas break and I thought this would prevent me from needing too much time off from work. I was VERY pleasantly surprised that the surgeon's office faxed my materials to my insurance company one day in November and they reviewed and approved my surgery the next day and sent approval letters to me and my surgeon the following day! It literally happened that quick and boy, that was a shocker!! I was able to get on the surgical schedule with my doctor and had surgery on December 19, 2012. It's been the best decision I've ever made for myself! As of today, I'm 5 months out of surgery and 75 lbs lighter! I feel a TON better (pun intended!) :D My husband is still very supportive and has been waiting to see how things go for me. He truly needs the surgery as much as I did. He's 6'5 and over 400 lbs. He's considering it for himself, but even if he decides that's not the route he wants to go, I'm okay with that. He was the size he is now when I married him. I married him for him. I love him and he loves me...whether I'm thinner or heavier! As I've said in other posts, our marriage is a "life sentence" and I just want us both to do what we can to make that "sentence" as long as possible! ;) That said, it would never occur to me to leave my husband for any reason. He knows that all the hard work I'm putting in just benefits us both in the long run!

Welcome Jay! One of the first things I did was get involved with this support group. There are groups around where I live but I know I needed more support to keep me accountable. I'm just three months post surgery but I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for the support

Thank you all for the support. I'm sure there will be many other questions coming up. I have found a couple of support groups besides this one to go to. I am very thank full that I have found this site. Thank you all. Jay:eek:

Back