• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just joined this forum

fuww57

Hello all. I'm a 55 yr old male living in NYC. After much "successful" dieting which invariably reversed itself so that I not only gained back the weight but added on some more. It looks like the diet road is closed and it's now to consider bariatric surgery. I made an appointment for a consultation but I have to wait a month to see this surgeon. In the meantime, it looks like there's a lot of testing a forms and other red tape to deal with and by no means will this surgery be over with "yesterday." Was this your experience? What can I expect to be a realistic surgery date if I first have my consultation on 2/19/13 give that I do all the pre-testing beforehand?

hi fuww57 WELCOME TO THIS CHAT ROOM, I THINK YOU'LL LIKE IT , IT'S BEEN MY PLACE OF "REFUGE BEFORE THE SURGERY AND AFTEWARDS TOO. AS FAR AS WHAT TO EXPECT EVERYBODY'S EXPERIENCE IS DIFFERENT, ALOT HAS TO DO WITH INSURANCE CO. I STARTED MY JOURNEY LAST JAN. WENT TO FIRST SEMINAR TO HEAR ABOUT THE SURGERY AND THEN STARTED THE RED TAPE PROCESS OF SEEING A NUTRIONIST, PSYCHOLOGIST AND A PHYSICAL THERAPIST AND OF COURSE HE SURGEON. IT TOOK A TOTAL OF NINE LONG MONTHS. I KNOW OTHERS WHOM USED A CENTER THAT DOES ONLY BARIATRIC SURGERY AND THEY GOT THERE'S DONE ALOT FASTER. I USED A LOCAL HOSIPTAL. ONCE I SAW THE SURGEON IT WAS A THREE MONTH WAIT BEFORE I GOT MY SURGERY DATE. WHEN I SAW HIM HE TOLD ME TO LOOSE 25 LBS IN THE 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO SURGERY HE SAID IT WOULD MAKE THE SURGERY GO EASIER. I HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT AS LONG AS I DID. I AM GLAD I WENT THROUGH THE RED TAPE( THOUGH IT TOOK A LONG TIME) IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WAIT, FOR I HAVE A HEALTHIER LIFE NOW AND IT'S ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER. ONCE I HAD THE SURGERY I WAS ABLE TO BE TAKEN OFF HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MED. CHOLESTROL MED, INSULIN SO THE SURGERY TRULY IMPROVES YOUR LIFE RIGHT AWAY. THIS ROOM IS FULL OF PEOPLE WHO ONLY WANT TO HELP SUPPORT YOUR DECESION AND SHARE THERE STORIES OF THE GOOD , THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF IT ALL. I LOVE THIS ROOM.
DONNA

Hi fuww,

Every center is a bit different. Also it depends on insurance company requirements. Most start with a referral from their primary care physician. Then the next step is to attend a Bariatric Seminar usually offered by the hospital or center you will be using. Then if it is required sometimes you have to do a six month weight loss trial (this is different depending on insurance and/or physician requirements). My center required current cardiac testing, pulmonary function, colonoscopy, EGD, and even pap smear. I had all of that done already so I got my surgeon's appt much sooner. I had to redo the cardiac testing and get an EGD done. I had a couple of nutrition classes and had to pass a test before I got the OK, then the psych eval, final physical exam and preop teaching and finally surgery.

Your Center/ Hospital will probably know your insurance requirements and will file the requests for you - They are very knowledgeable and helpful in most instances.

It seems like a lot to have to go through but it is really to your advantage because you want the best results possible.

Additionally, it gives you time to research the different procedures and helps you get as much information as you possibly can. This Forum is great to obtain information as well and you will be welcomed to visit and ask questions and receive support.

Welcome and good luck as you continue on this journey to a healthy you!

I think the others have outlined it pretty well. I just wanted to add that with all the red tape, I started my process in March 2012, and my surgery date is in 9 days. It is not a quick process.

Last edited:
I had to see surgeon, go to 2 orientation group meetings, see dietician, see Psychiatrist, sleep clinic, labs, EKG, surgeon again......then surgeon again week before surgery. Not a quick process. Gave me time to think and pray about it all. Insurance okayed very quickly for me. Having my operation this Friday....

Hi and Welcome,
I am also a New Yorker. Where are you getting your surgery done? My surgeon works out of Lenox Hill as well Northern Westchester Hospital one day a week. Your insurance will proabably be the best indicator of how long you will have to wait and what they require. I first had to attend a seminar and then see the surgeon. After that, it was seeing a psychologist and a cardiologist for clearance. I was approved fairly quickly. I didn't have to work with a nutritionist for 6 months as I have read on this site. I also think it depends on what type of surgery you are having. I think from my seminar to my surgery was 4 months. I had to wait a bit for my surgeon to have a slot for me. Sometimes I can't beleive I did it, but it has changed my life in a positive way. Wishing you all the best. This site is a great resource.

Hi and Welcome,
I am also a New Yorker. Where are you getting your surgery done? My surgeon works out of Lenox Hill as well Northern Westchester Hospital one day a week. Your insurance will proabably be the best indicator of how long you will have to wait and what they require. I first had to attend a seminar and then see the surgeon. After that, it was seeing a psychologist and a cardiologist for clearance. I was approved fairly quickly. I didn't have to work with a nutritionist for 6 months as I have read on this site. I also think it depends on what type of surgery you are having. I think from my seminar to my surgery was 4 months. I had to wait a bit for my surgeon to have a slot for me. Sometimes I can't beleive I did it, but it has changed my life in a positive way. Wishing you all the best. This site is a great resource.

Welcome and I'm happy to see you're making the decision to move forward on your new life with the successful outcome you're anticipating on. I too knew when it was time for the change. Fad dieting, compusively eating, stress eating, and overall deterioration of your body as it becomes obese. The pain, the discomfort, the wrong food choices. All of these tests that you will undergo are very necessary for your surgeon to access how he's going to proceed with your weight loss surgery. My surgeon was very thorough in blood work, and the tests that were given to me prior to the surgery. As long as you manage to have all your ducks in the row prior to the target date that your surgery was chosen on, then you'll be just fine. It might be a matter of a two week period to have your surgery date once all your results are in and everything is on track. It's the best decision you've made to take this leap of faith into the direction of your personal health and wellness journey. It's all worth it in the end when you've finally conquered this demon and can begin the reap the rewards of your new and improved status. Hang in there and keep up posted!

Hello,
I just joined the forum today. Usually, it will take approximately 6 months (some only need 3 months) to get to a surgery date. That is from start to surgery date. Insurance companies differ, but most require a 6 month showing of various appointments. There are necessary preliminary tests as well as psychiatric evaluation and a multitude of other tests to go through prior to scheduling a surgery date. You will also have to make a valiant effort at losing weight. My doctor said the standard weight loss procedure is 5% of your body weight prior to surgery. Don't worry, they help you along the way with nutritional support, exercise regimes, and terrific emotional support. Part of the requirement is to attend support groups as well. I began my journey in July, 2012, and just received my surgery date today. I started my pre-op liquid diet today and I know it is purely mind over matter. Good luck in your journey and keep us posted!

Surgery

Well I had my surgery last Friday and have been out of the hospital for4 days now. I am getting around pretty good..... It has been a little more painful than I expected. Eating very very little at this time. On Stage 2 until Tuesday. Getting in all my supplements. Hard to get in all the water they want you to drink. Guess that will get easier as time goes on. Thank goodness for sugar free pudding!! Any tips??

Jersey girl hi I like to take the vanilla protein shake mix and add flavors to it, have you tried any of the Davinci sugar free syrups walmart carries them, I found white chocolate and hazelnut and raspberry they taste great and give us some variety to our shakes. also have you been to the website called, The world according to eggface.com she had the weight loss surgery years ago and went from a size 28 to assize 4, she has a lot of great receipe ideas and blogs. I love going to her site, that is where I found out about the sugar free syrups. I like them in my coffee, now that I can have it again.I also add light yougurt to my protein drink and use skim milk the orange crème yogurt from walmart and vanilla shake powder makes it taste like a dream cisle icecream an it's healthy for us and protein. have you tried the carnation breakfast protein mix with no sugar added these are what the hospital gave me to drink while there, they have variety pack cost around 5.00 some peoplemix 4 oz water with 4 oz skim milk and the protein powder and I also put mine in a blender and add ice to it too makes it creamer. ask your dr office if you are allowed cinnamon or vanilla flavor or the sugar free syrups to your protein. wish yo much luck. come back and share your journey this room is a supportive site. donna

Tiredmoma glad you're home and recoverying, the pain will let up rest when you can . yes I agree it's hard to get all your liquids and protein in cause you're not hungry and to be at first food didn't taste good. sugar free popciscles also count towards your intake amount for liquids, are you allowed sugar free applesauce yet? I can't remember when I was allowed yogurt. do you like sugar free kool aide? or crystal light or the sugar free drink package you can get at walmart, walgreens for 8-10 packages for 1.00 and add to bottle or glass of water they have a great variety of choices. It will get easier, and you'll be glad you went through all of this as you see the healthy results and the pounds falling away. wishing you much success, donna

Thank you for all these great tips! Right now I get full so quickly hard to get everything in. Hoping that is just because I am only 10 days out. I did order from unsure today. Heard the chicken soup was great. Ordered the cheese topping too.....we will see! Had a hard time not having Super Bowel goodies today but it is all so new. So sad my Niners lost! Plz keep sending any tips you have. Going on that site you gave me rt now

Thank you...took all your advice for Jersey girl too! No applesauce yet. I am on Cream of wheat, SF pudding and creamed soups and all clear liquid now. Friday starts mashed potatoes, yogurt and eggs! I can't wait for a poached egg. How do you eat and drink all that is required when I am full at 5 small bites? Swelling must go down and make it easier. Keep sending ides.

Thanks for all the tips! My doctor told em to stay away from Carnation Breakfast...said there isn't enough protein. The sugar free syrups are a terrific idea! I will have to try some. My husband made me a blended one the other day, and I couldn't even finish it as it was very filling. I also LOVE the orange creme yogurt idea . Thanks so much for all your help!!

Hi, I am a newcomer too. I started the process in August 2012, attended support groups, an 8 week lifestyle change class, jumped through most of the hoops everyone mentioned except I didn't need a sleep study, I already had been diagnosed with sleep apnea and use a bipap. Have hypertension, prediabetes, plus I am almost 60 years old. If I had 1/2 the money I spent over the years on diets, different sizes of clothing, up, down, up, down. . . . . I have been the cronic yo-yo dieter over the past 25 years. I finally accepted that I needed an additional tool, bariatric surgery. I live in Northern New England. The program I am in requires that you be less than 60 years old when you start. I was 59 1/2 - I am scheduled for surgery on 3/12 and now that it is really close, I know I need the support of others that have been or are in the same lifestyle changes that will be required. I am reading others' experiences and suggestions. I have a lot to learn.
Dawn

Welcome, Dawn! Your story sounds similar to mine. If I only had 1/2 of what I had spent on diets, clothes, etc...
I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow, and I can tell you there is always something to learn. I am still trying to get it down. As you have probably read, there are what I feel are "stages". Your first step will be initial post-op. Your goal is to stay hydrated, and walk. Protein will come. Always follow the diet and instructions of your program, and you will get through this just fine.
Do you have to do a pre-op diet?

Yes I have a pre op diet. It is two shakes, one fruit, one protein bar and one meal consisting of a little protein and veggies.
It's not really difficult as I always had the best weight loss results from modified fasts liquid diets, so this is basically a step up from that. Plus I lost most of my required pre surgery weight 8% following this type of diet, but with a few days off. I am looking forward to the surgery, just to get to that milestone, if you know what I mean.
Dawn

still in the hospitol

good morning every one yes, had my sugery on monday,everything went verry well,i had a large hernia removed along with the bypss, i walked the rest of the day mondat, felt great tuesday, walked and walked,here comes the day i would b going home and i cant move my legs feels like someone beat the heck out of me! The dr had blood drawn and i was low on quite afew things. Yesterday yhe pain level was a hard 10, today 9, im on all kinds iv different iv's they will do a sonigram to see if i have any clots. Please everyone pray for me that its not blood clots just low on. Ill try to spell so anyone can up there dose before surgery.potacium,magnesium, electrolites. Ill keep u posted today ill let u know if im going home. And the results of the sonigram thankyou all for ur support and prayers hunger buddy

Welcome. I started my journey in January this year with consultation, psych and diatitian. The following months were filled with required weightloss and many med tests for ins. approval. My surgery is Aug. 26

Back