• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just saying Hi! Tomorrow is my DAY.

Lester

Hi everyone

I just thought i would say hi. I just joined the forums but have learned a lot while getting ready for my surgery tomorrow. Kinda nervous, kinda anxious but very excited.

I hope to chime in as often as time allows to learn more from you all. You are all amazing!

Cheers,

Lester

Welcome Lester, I know exactly how you feel, I was nervous and anxiouse an d couldn't sleep a wink the night before surgery:p. I was so glad to wake up in the recovery room. It has been a wonderful journey. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom. I am sure it will be fine. I am in a good place emotionally so I am very hopeful. I appreciate your good wishes.

Lester

hi Lester & congratulations your dreams are comming true starting tommorow, yeahhhhhh

Hi everyone

I just thought i would say hi. I just joined the forums but have learned a lot while getting ready for my surgery tomorrow. Kinda nervous, kinda anxious but very excited.

I hope to chime in as often as time allows to learn more from you all. You are all amazing!

Cheers,

Lester

hi Lester
happy for you when you feel strong enough , let us all know how your surgery went & how you feel once it's all said and done. will keep you in my prayers for a speedy healthy recovery.
donna

Thanks Donna. I am back from the Pre-Op and I am ready to rock so I will be sure to post after the procedure. Thanks for the good wishes.

Lester

Hi Lester! I am so excited for you too! I just had my 2nd consult and have surgery in a month now. I had trouble sleeping last night and it was just a consult..lol Please keep us informed

Gloria

Hello Lester,

I just joined a few minutes ago; my surgery is on June 06, 2012.
So you're a few days out; what are you feeling?

Like yourself I'm a little nervous, concerned, anxious and excited.
Are these feelings normal?

Hi Robergnm, Welcom. Yes all those feelings are normal. I am just over two years out and it has been a wonderful journey. There are a lot of wondeful people here for support. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom, I thought we needed a user name so I used the first part of our e-mail address; stands for Roberts Gerry 'n Mary - so it's just Mary.
I'm relieved to know that my feelings are normal; you wonder if you're being a little dramatic or not serious enough - oh heck, all kinds of things.
They are fixing the hiatal hernia which is huge and cutting & separating my stomach along with re-routing my small intestine - that quite a bit, more than a gall bladder.

You seem to doing extremely well.

They talked about the 6 month window of opportunity; where you will/may lose the most weight.
Did you find this to be true for you?

Was it difficult to start exercising for 60 minutes each day?
When do you find it best to get in that time?

I'm thinking food prep after work before bed for next day & trying to exercise when I get up, eat, then shower & off to work.
I'll be changing the schedule, bed earlier up earlier but I think that's for the better.

Did you have GERD or acid relux; is it better now?

Thanks - Mary

Hi Mary, I read some of your other posts and you have a great medical team and it sounds like you are ready to take this wonderful journey and your husband sounds like a great guy he should be a trmendouse help for you post op and once you are eating solid foods he will benifit from healthier meals. I used to get burgers and fries or KFC when "I just didn't have the time" to cook, since WLS I have learned to do a lot of pre cooking and weighing or measuring everything, I think about fast food once in a while but I know it is just a waste, If I am traveling for a long distance or in airports I usually get a chicken wrap or eegs and suasage and I always keep some protien bars handy. I don't think I could have made it without protien shakes, I couldn't bring myself to eat pureeed foods so most of my protien for the first month was from yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, protien shakes and refried beans

I exercise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week in the summer, I am kind of luck becuase my job alows me an hou a day for physical exercise and I get there early so I can get some extra time in, I am awildland firefighter so it is a job requirement to stay fit. That is one reason I finally chose to have WLS, I have been in my proffesion for 26 years and at first I was always doing fast paced high stress work constantly burning calories so all the weight I had trouble keeping off in high school (I was a fat most of my childhood) came right off when I started working in the woods and fighting fire. Over the years I moved up in the ranks and although my job requires some arduouse physical exertion I spend a lot of time in front of a computer working on reports, plans, data input or teaching classes. Getting around was getting more and more difficult and high BP and colesterol kicked in, I was afraid I would have a heart attack on the hilside one day or endanger others around me if I got hurt and they had to pack me out, and I just felt lousy all the time.

Now I can jog 6 miles in the morning effortlessly and hike up mountains without stopping every 5 minutes to catch my breath, 3 years ago I couldnt go 3 miles without being tiered and out of breath. It was the best descision I have ever made. I lost most of my weight the first year I did have one slip, I thought I would be OK to drink some wine after 9 months or so and 7 months later my drinking was completely out of control, it was very scary for me:(, but I got help and stopped drinking completely but it is a small sacrafice for a healthier happier. I am back on track now and I feel great.

You will do great, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Well, I am back at my fathers house, where I am staying post op since I live across the country. I feel good. I had a very good post op experience in the hospital. Funny enough, I have no recollection at all of my immediate post op experience. i stopped pain meds after 2 days and feel fine. I am relaxing now since I am a bit tender and still a bit bloated but as I have read, gas relief is our friend :). I never felt so good after my first fart LOL. I was so relieved and felt that it was a good sign that all would be well.

I am now on Stage 3, full liquid so I am excited to be back on shakes, creamy soups and the like. I hope to have a little sugar free pudding tonight!

My surgical and post op team were magical. Everyone was so nice and supported me in every way.

I just need to be careful not to overdo it especially in the beginning but i need to make sure i walk and that is a good thing. Also, lifting anything over 10 lbs is out so I need to be conscious of what I am doing.

All is well. Thanks for the good wishes and I am so glad i took the big step. Now it is up to me! -Lester

Mary, good for you!! It will be worth it. I can already tell I made the best decision of my life. If you were not nervous, anxious, etc, it would be weird. Just know that it is for you and you will benefit from it. You will be great!

Lester, so glad to hear from you now that you are post op. I'm glad you had a good experience with your surgery and all went well. Please have a great recovery, take things one day at a time, and keep us posted.

Gloria:cool:

Hi Lester glad to hear everything went well, the only thing I remember about imidiatly aftyer post op was a nurse telling me to wake up and I told them to "leave me alone I don't wnat to" LOL, them I slowly woke up but I really didn't want to:rolleyes:. Remember walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip water and get lots of rest, you will probably be tired all the time for a few week. :cool: Tom

Tom- Thanks. Yes, I already walked 30 mins this morning around my fathers senior community. Nice and slow but it felt good. I found it hard to get in enough water the first day out but today is my first full day at "home" and I am just going to baby sip continously. I am not going to push it or expect too much too fast. It took years to get where I was so I am not looking for an overnight cure. I think that mindset will help me, or I hope it does :).

Thanks!! -Lester

Back