• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just the Beginning

Shari558

Hello Everyone,
I am just beginning my journey to better health! I am in the midst of all my pre-surgery appointments. My surgery will be scheduled for mid-September. I am looking forward to learning from the experts - those that have gone through it! :D
Shari

Hello Everyone,
I am just beginning my journey to better health! I am in the midst of all my pre-surgery appointments. My surgery will be scheduled for mid-September. I am looking forward to learning from the experts - those that have gone through it! :D
Shari

WELCOME Shari to the Forum!!! We are all here to help each other on our journey.

Be sure and watch Linney's videos and read her Blogs. She has successfully lost a great deal of weight and shares much information that can help tremendously. Go to the Blogs link at the top of the page. She has links to the videos there, too.

The time will fly by and it will be Sept before you know it! Good Luck! :)

Cheyenne

Welcome Shari, it is nice to see someone else from the Pittsburgh area. I have gotten my surgery date and I am getting nervous & exciting all in the same breath. Trust and believe that September will be here before you know. the members have been very supportive and honest in their comments and suggestions. You can ask them anything there is a memeber that has through the same situation and will share with you their experience. I'm really scared that I won't make it through the pre-op week of clear liquids. My blood sugar bottoms out if I dont eat, so I will be coming to the forum for suggestions and support. Oh my surgery date is April 17th. So start asking inquiring minds want to know whats on your mind.

Thank you

WELCOME Shari to the Forum!!! We are all here to help each other on our journey.

Be sure and watch Linney's videos and read her Blogs. She has successfully lost a great deal of weight and shares much information that can help tremendously. Go to the Blogs link at the top of the page. She has links to the videos there, too.

The time will fly by and it will be Sept before you know it! Good Luck! :)

Cheyenne

Thank you for the welcome. I will be reading more and watching the videos this weekend. It is encouraging to see the success that people have had and the support that is available.
Shari

I am also concerned with the clear liquid diet pre-op. I actually have to do two weeks. I know I will have to work with my endocrinologist to reduce my insulin when I start the clear liquids. That is going to be the hardest pre-op task for me. I am very excited for you - only a couple more weeks to go. Good Luck!
Shari

Hi and welcome. :)
I had the bypass surgery this past December. I had to do the two week liquid diet prior to surgery due to my BMI. They gave me three shakes a day and two protein bars. It was hard, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wasn't hungry, although I did want regular food. My only complaint was that everything was sweet. I only had to do clear liquids the day before surgery. Again, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was well worth it because my surgery went really well. I was in an hour less than anticipated.

Hello Everyone,
Shari

Welcome.

This is a major decision in your life.

Whatever it is that we must do to accomplish this task pales in terms to the rewards you will receive by getting yourself back to a healthier you.

I have T2 diabetes. It was being controlled. I was using up to 90 units of Novolog insulin each day and 2000mg Metformin ER to keep my A1C in the 5's.

I had high blood pressure. It took four pills to keep it controlled.

I had no energy, aching knees, backaches, etc.

I found a program here on Long Island, NY. I picked a top bariatric doctor and made sure he practiced in a hospital that is a "center of excellence for bariatric surgery".

I went to his seminars, received all his materials, followed his program precisely and proceeded to the surgery.

You will NOT regret this decision.

Here are my accomplishments in a little more than 4 months post op.

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless

I backed away from this decision back in 2009. However, this past year was the turning point. My weight was once again spiraling upward. I needed to do something. I am happy as can be.

Ralph

Back