• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Kind of freaking out

Surgery is on Wednesday and I am starting to freak out. Am I doing the right thing? Am I going to be depressed after? Will I miss food? Will I adjust to my changing body? Will I get sick? Will I have complications? Will I die? All of these things are flooding my mind. Do I really want this?

I know why I am doing this. Because I am 30 years old, I'm 5'6 and I am 340 pounds. I have my entire life to live. I have a 7 and 9 year old who need me. If I continue to live the way that I am, I will die young. I watched my grandmother's body fail on her from congestive heart failure. I watch people struggle everyday that I work because of weight. I know why I need to do this, but have I done everything that I can to prepare myself?

How am I going to feel after? Will I be afraid to eat? Just all of these random things going through my mind. It is overwhelming. I am having nightmares at night. Is this normal????

:(

hi jamie-sue, my surgery is on thursday the 25th. I can relate completely with your post. i am afraid that i wont be able to give up my sweets, wont be able to eat slowly, wont be able to stop myself from overeating. i have read many posts on here where people have gained back alot of their weight, that scares the heck out of me. if i had will power i wouldnt be in this situation to begin with. i have many co-morbidities, i need this to work.

Hi, Jamie-Sue and pjb,

If you take the time to read around the Forum, you'll see that the thoughts you're having are quite normal. Though that may not give much comfort, at least you'll know you aren't alone.

Take a look at a post I made recently, http://www.americanbariatrics.org/showthread.php/1607-Things-I-wish-I-d-known-part-1?highlight=. There are 3 parts. I hope you find it helpful.

Congratulations on your upcoming weight loss surgeries! You deserve this chance at a better, fuller life.

My heart goes out to both of you. I too am having all of those feelings, so you are not alone at all. My surgery is on the 30th. I'm just trying to keep busy and not dwell on the negatives. It's not easy, I know.

Hang in there !

This is major surgery and of course you have worries, you would not be normal if you did not. You are doing this for all the RIGHT reasons, you are young, have kids and want to live to see grandkids. Many of us wished this was available long ago. Your fears are valid fears but from what I know and have read, people do well, some have a little bit of a hard time just after surgery but then I met a woman that was 150#s overweight when she had her surgery(bypass) and two days after coming home she was in her car going shopping. SO, try to relax and talk to yourself that you are taking an important step to a new life of health and weight loss. IT is a serious change in daily habits and the surgery will help you not want the sugar(if you having a gastric bypass) because sugar is said to make you feel awful so a couple of times doing that and you won't any longer. Also they say you are just not hungry, which helps a lot. If you have chosen your doctor and medical center well, you will be fine, NO dying allowed. That occurs in local little places that do not do surgeries often and are chosen for the wrong reasons. What surgery are you going to get? How long have you been thinking about it? Remember, you are doing this for all the right reasons!!!

Thanks everyone! Sometimes just being able to get out my fears is helpful. I am afraid of dying. I am so young and my kids are so young, but I'm assuming that this is a natural fear to have? Sandie, I am having the RNY. I actually work for the hospital and surgeons where I am having my surgery so I know and trust them. They have been doing the bypass for 10+ years now. I have a woman surgeon who has been a surgeon for 10 years who is excellent and then asked for an assisting surgeon who has been a surgeon for 40 years. I have a great team. The nurses that will be caring for me are my coworkers so I know I can trust them. It is just being able to trust myself to know if something is wrong. It is so scary. The idea of being put to sleep, cut open etc etc. *sigh* I have been thinking about this surgery for years. I watched my Dad go through it and his life is 100% different and better in so many ways. I know I can and will get through this...

Jamie-Sue, Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal. You are on that emotional rollercoaster ride you may have read about in some of the posts. Most of us go through this before and even after surgery. You will probably feel a flood of emotions that at times will feel overwhelming. Trust me, you will be OK.

I will try to answer your questions. If you want better health, you are doing the right thing. You may feel some depression after surgery. I did and it passed in a week or 2. I was very emotional and found myself crying over nothing. I don't think you will miss food because you will still be eating but in very limited amounts. You may even find yourself not liking food at all in the early stages after surgery. You won't get sick if you follow the meal plans and if you take your vitamins and other supplements daily. Although there are inherent risks with any surgery, primairly from the anesthesia, the chances of you dying are slim to none. Only you can answer your last question "Do I really want this". Your questions are EXACTLY the same as the questions I had before surgery except for the one about getting depressed. This one didn't enter my mind but like I said I did have some minor depression. I found out tfrom the nutritionist that it was more than likely caused by hormonal changes that occur in women when there is a rapid loss of weight. Our fat cells hold onto certain hormones which are released when we lose weight. The rapid rise of these hormones can cause depression.

Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing. Hang in there, you will do just fine :) :) :)

GREAT you are going to a good place, you have good support and everyone worries about such things that you are now worrying. I was not worried about much UNTIL I got my surgery date and then all the questions pop up in my head. Anesthesia is so safe today, just get up and walk around even if you do not feel like it post op night and from then on walk and walk some more. Your kids are going to get their mom back, one that can do stuff with them without getting out of breath or taking medications etc. You are in this with the rest of us, the day of surgery take a deep breath and walk through the door knowing when you walk out you will have changed your life for the much better :) Keep in touch with us, this forum is GREAT, much support is given. When are you going in and having this done? I too am having RNY December 3rd. I am scared and excited at the same time. WE will get through it together! I wish I had done it sooner but now am in late 60s but figure I've got life left in this vessell called a body so I am going for it!!!

Sandie -good for you! My dad had his at 60 years old and has never been better or regretted it. I am having surgery on Wednesday. I really didn't start freaking out until I got my date either. My sister is going to be by my side the whole time and my mom will be with me when I get home. I know I'm making the right choice.

I know I will experience depression. Food has always been a huge part of my life and family. Life is going to be different for sure. I plan to take it a day at a time, to use this site, to attend the post op support groups, and to lean on my family when I don't feel strong enough to do this on my own.

I really appreciate everyone's support, I will get through this..I know it.

Hi Jamie, You will do just fine. I had all the same things going through my mind also and yes even the nightmares:eek: You have a good plan lined out so just keep doing what your doing. Let us know how you are doing when you get home. :cool: Tom

You are doing great already, lost 36 pounds so far, GOOD FOR YOU!!! Will be thinking of you Wednesday, where do you live Jamie-Sue? It takes courage to take your life by the you know whats and turn it around and lose your weight etc. You might even meet people that will discourage you because they want you to stay heavy for THEIR reasons, jealousy and all kinds of other reasons of theirs. Do not let anyone stop you, you are on a journey for your health! Do write here when you can after your surgery to let us know how it is going. You are going to be fine, all these other people are fine so we will be too!

Jamie-Sue30

hi I haven't seen any post since the surgery? are you doing ok?The post I read were from a month ago right before your surgery. I had mine done 8 weeks ago and like others have said, we all experienced the same ? and doubts you had. When you are feeling good and have time , come back and let everyone know how you are dealing with all the changes. somedays they can be a bit overwhelming and others seem like ,cool glad we're moving onto the next stage.
take care
Donna

JaimeSue Are you ok? You have not posted since before your surgery, so we are worried about you since you have not posted!!! PLEASE come back and tell us you are ok!!! How it is going, come on, there are some of us yet to do the surgery and getting close so let us know you are ok.

Back