• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Late May Lapband Revision to gastric bypass

Ange6012

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I am having a revision to bypass on May 23rd. I had my band placed in Nov. Of 2011. Lost ttl of 38 pounds but lost a ton of inches. I went from a 24/26 pants to an 18. Was very happy. But in 2020, I began having terrible acid and pain in my stomach. I was finding it difficult to eat anything without getting stuck.
Finally was sent to my surgeon by my GI. Turns out I had 3 esophageal ulcers.
My band was causing acid to be trapped. All but 1 ulcer which was at the point my band met my stomach was healed but keeping the band that ulcer would not heal.
We determined the best fix was to revise to bypass. And over a year later here I am but now it looks like I will also need my gallbladder removed.
In the meantime, I have been caring for my mom who has cancer (last treatment was today), lost my dad to covid pneumonia on April 1. But I am determined to get my health back in order. After this surgery, I need to get a knee replacement from 2018 injury after being hit by a car and then an Achilles spur removed and my tendon repaired.
Because I also work from home as many hours as I can, am married and have tons of stuff to do. I am looking for an online place to talk about what my people will never get.
Hoping to talk with like minded people about successes, struggles and how to get this done right.

Hello and welcome. Sorry about your struggles and loss. I know how hard that can be, I took care of my mom for years. I couldn't take it anymore, I was drowning and my Aunt took over. She too is going through cancer treatment.

I too joined this and other groups so people would understand and be able to be grasp what I was feeling or saying.
I very close person in my life actually got jealous of me joining a group and connecting with someone. They couldn't understand why I can't just talk to them and confide in them. They are supportive, and encouraging but sometimes it is just isn't the same and comes off judgemental because we have to think about every single thing we eat and drink. I have plenty of support in my life, but it is just not the same when the person isn't or hasn't gone through it.

Good luck on your journey to becoming a better you!

Hello and welcome. Sorry about your struggles and loss. I know how hard that can be, I took care of my mom for years. I couldn't take it anymore, I was drowning and my Aunt took over. She too is going through cancer treatment.

I too joined this and other groups so people would understand and be able to be grasp what I was feeling or saying.
I very close person in my life actually got jealous of me joining a group and connecting with someone. They couldn't understand why I can't just talk to them and confide in them. They are supportive, and encouraging but sometimes it is just isn't the same and comes off judgemental because we have to think about every single thing we eat and drink. I have plenty of support in my life, but it is just not the same when the person isn't or hasn't gone through it.

Good luck on your journey to becoming a better you!
Thank you

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I am having a revision to bypass on May 23rd. I had my band placed in Nov. Of 2011. Lost ttl of 38 pounds but lost a ton of inches. I went from a 24/26 pants to an 18. Was very happy. But in 2020, I began having terrible acid and pain in my stomach. I was finding it difficult to eat anything without getting stuck.
My band was causing acid to be trapped. All but 1 ulcer which was at the point my band met my stomach was healed but keeping the band that ulcer would not heal.
We determined the best fix was to revise to bypass. And over a year later here I am but now it looks like I will also need my gallbladder removed.
In the meantime, I have been caring for my mom who has cancer (last treatment was today), lost my dad to covid pneumonia on April 1. But I am determined to get my health back in order. After this surgery, I need to get a knee replacement from 2018 injury after being hit by a car and then an Achilles spur removed and my tendon repaired.
Because I also work from home as many hours as I can, am married and have tons of stuff to do. I am looking for an online place to talk about what my people will never get.
Hoping to talk with like minded people about successes, struggles and how to get this done right.
Wow, I admire your ability to persevere as you've had more than your share of burdens and tragedies. I am so very sorry about your loss. Yet here you are, sharing yourself and reaching out for the support of this very special group of caring, non-judgmental people. Please continue your journey with all of the strength and determination that you have and will need to rely on throughout this process. Best wishes ❤❤

Hi All,
Well here we are. My journey begins tomorrow. I start my 2 week preop liquid diet.
Appt with surgeon on Tuesday and primary doctor clearance on Wednesday. At some point I will be hearing from the hospital for a preop testing appt.
Getting nervous and excited at tge same time
Did my pics and measurements and weight today for tracking and documentation.

Tomorrow I start my journey toward better health and less pain.

Weight: 244lbs
Bust: 47 in
Waist: 46.5
Chest: 47
Neck: 15
Hips: 54
Right thigh: 30
Left thight: 30
Right Bicep: 16
Left Bicep: 16.5
Next time I document will be in 2 weeks, right before my surgery. I may get on the scale next week

Hi All,
Well here we are. My journey begins tomorrow. I start my 2 week preop liquid diet.
Appt with surgeon on Tuesday and primary doctor clearance on Wednesday. At some point I will be hearing from the hospital for a preop testing appt.
Getting nervous and excited at tge same time
Did my pics and measurements and weight today for tracking and documentation.
Hello! I start my liquid diet in 8 days and my surgery is June 1st! Maybe we will be surgery buddies!

Hi All,
I read your intro and knew that I had to jump in here! I've been meaning to introduce myself after lurking on this site for awhile for information and have found most everyone to be very helpful and supportive. I am having a similar procedure with my surgery date a few days before you, May 18th. My band was placed in 2009 and I started having gastric reflux at night in 2020. I finally went back to the bariatric office that placed my band Sept 2021 and the port had flipped so they couldn't do any additional adjustments and the band needs to be removed. It was not a good tool for me for weight loss. After further contemplation and getting the reflux under control, I have decided on the gastric bypass as well and am also having my diseased gallbladder removed at the same time. We can be kindred spirit surgery buddies, I hope!

I read your intro and knew that I had to jump in here! I've been meaning to introduce myself after lurking on this site for awhile for information and have found most everyone to be very helpful and supportive. I am having a similar procedure with my surgery date a few days before you, May 18th. My band was placed in 2009 and I started having gastric reflux at night in 2020. I finally went back to the bariatric office that placed my band Sept 2021 and the port had flipped so they couldn't do any additional adjustments and the band needs to be removed. It was not a good tool for me for weight loss. After further contemplation and getting the reflux under control, I have decided on the gastric bypass as well and am also having my diseased gallbladder removed at the same time. We can be kindred spirit surgery buddies, I hope!
Great, your surgery revision date is almost here. Do you have to do a liquid diet for several days 1st? Glad your problem gallbladder is coming out too. Welcome to the group btw. Where in PA are you? I used to live in Lancaster for many years. Good luck!

Welcome to the group. I have my first appointment June 1 for consultation. I will be so excited to see how you progress and all the tips you will provide for the newbies who haven’t gone through surgery yet. I too will most likely get gastric bypass but not to that decision phase yet. Thank you for sharing your story. You have found a great group of people to inspire and encourage you.

Great, your surgery revision date is almost here. Do you have to do a liquid diet for several days 1st? Glad your problem gallbladder is coming out too. Welcome to the group btw. Where in PA are you? I used to live in Lancaster for many years. Good luck!
Hello and thank you! My surgeon's office requires 7 day pre-op liquid diet for all procedures so today is my first day for that. So far so good! I am in greater Pittsburgh.

Back