• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lesson learned

Kim M

I am 3 months into maintenance. I have recently begun to introduce some foods into my food plan that I didn't eat while in the losing phrase. Some have gone well as long as I allow for them in my calorie intake which is 1200. I have read that some people will eat protein bars as a meal replacement or to up their protein if they fall short. I researched protein bars and found one the Simply Bar that was fairly high in protein at 16 grams, 3 grams of sugar and no sugar alcohols. I tried one. It did not satisfy me as a meal replacement and I thought the 160 calories was high for a snack. I decided it didn't work for me and choose not to add them. Fast forward to this week and it was very busy at work and I was out in the field a great deal and just did not have time to take lunch hour. I went back to the protein bars. It was good to eat something as I was running around, but 2-3 hours later I was hungry and wanted a real lunch. Weekend came and I had 3 protein bars left. Tossed one in my bag as I was out running around yesterday and it came in handy. There is an end to this story. I was home for dinner. Fish and veggies. Very satisfied. Then I started thinking about the protein bars. This is the part where the obsession kicks in. Ate a snack and still okay with my calories. Obsession persists. Well you now what happened. Ate the protein bars. I was 400 calories over my limit to maintain my weight. Jumped on the scale this morning just to torture myself and there were the protein bars showing up with a 2 pound gain. Now I understand that 3500 is supposed to equal 1 pound and I certainly did not eat 7000 calories. But this formula has never been my reality. The worst thing about this is I did something that I new would not work for me which then triggered the obsession. As I travel along this path of maintenance which will be my life time there will be bumps in the road. I will learn and make mistakes and learn again. My goal has always been to find peace with food. The truth is for now there are some foods I just cannot eat yet or maybe ever. Trying not to be an all or nothing thinker, but I do not want to trigger the obsession. That is how it is for now. Today is a new day and for now protein bars are not on my food plan. Lesson learned

wow Kim great job catching your trigger so fast. I have found that any type of white flour and the obsession with wanting sugar kicks in. When it comes to protein bars I am right there with you. First the issue of finding one I could stand the taste of then when I did those things do not fill me up and I am wanting more food of the unhealthy type in minutes. Keep up the good work

This is all so interesting. To me a protein bar is a candy bar on steroids. I figure I may as we'll be honest and eat a candy bar. I too am not as satisfied after eating them as another type of high protein snack is; but they are handy on the run. That's why I'm thinking they are in the candy category in my 'hunger brain' they taste like a candy bar, look like a candy bar and eat like a candy bar. I found a Tbs of shelled peanuts to satisfy my hunger better, but this is a lot of fat.

Any ideas for a healthy snack that could replace the convenience of protein bars? I'm sure we will all have times like Kim M. when we had to hurry and didn't have time to make something. This would be very good to know.

Any ideas for a healthy snack that could replace the convenience of protein bars? I'm sure we will all have times like Kim M. when we had to hurry and didn't have time to make something. This would be very good to know.

Pre packed, Pre-Made protein shakes, low fat mozzarella sticks... My surgeon recommend a small cup of Wendy's Chili as it contains protein(lean ground beef), veggies(tomato) and healthy carb / protein (Bean).
The key is low fat and low to no added sugar or sugar alcohols.. Make sure you know your protein number and to keep the cars way down.

I also have a tendency to think of a protein bar as a candy bar. I have found some that aren't so sweet (sold online at bariatric stores, maybe health food stores too). But I have to watch myself.

Pre packed, Pre-Made protein shakes, low fat mozzarella sticks... My surgeon recommend a small cup of Wendy's Chili as it contains protein(lean ground beef), veggies(tomato) and healthy carb / protein (Bean).
The key is low fat and low to no added sugar or sugar alcohols.. Make sure you know your protein number and to keep the cars way down.

I made a big pot of chili myself containing ground beef, beans and tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes. I froze it into containers and ate some every day for lunch. Yummy and it made my bathroom habits much more regular. When you eat small amounts I think it's just harder to be regular. I'm kind of chili'd out right now but will make some more soon. :)

Its not an exact science especially with women because our water weight fluctuates too much. I hate protein bars because honestly most of them are an over glorified candy bar. There is a pin on pintrest that has all these great ideas to pre-pack on the go snack packs and keep them all in one drawer in the fridge so its a grab and go. Sometimes when I think I am hungry but really just bored carrots and peanut butter is the kicker for me. The peanut butter has the protein and the carrots have the crunch. And don't knock it until you try it lol its better than it sounds. Or your can nix the peanut butter and mix a packet of ranch into a thing of plain greek yogurt with carrots or celery.

Don't over analyze a bad day just remember to do better the next day. It is actually good to keep your system in shock so to speak. Your body gets adjusted to the same caloric intake and the same exercises and you will plateau however if you keep changing it doesn't have a chance to get acclimated.

Back