• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Let’s talk about expectations

Same for me, 120 to 130 is an ideal range for me, but my team is discouraging me from setting those numbers as a goal. Anyhow, I hope things get better for you and you find a way to gain weight.
I started my pre-surgery weight at 234 on July 11th. I was asked at the start of the process what my goal weight would be. I replied, 150lbs, knowing I needed a realistic goal. Now that I have reached 174.4 today (loss of 3.2 since last week) and I'm back home with hubby after 23 days of illness & treatment, I'm back on track again with lots more water & protein. It's hard traveling with a tiny bladder after drinking lots of water lol.

My March goal is to reach the 160s. My ideal weight loss goal will be 135. I could live with 150lbs, but at 5'2", I would look better a bit smaller. But, I'm 60 yrs old, so the slim look isn't as big a deal as it once was. Healthy beats skinny any day of the week.

Karen, I am 54 years old and short as well at 5’ 4” so a weight range of 120 to 130 doesn’t look anorexic or unhealthy on me. We agreed to set several goals for the different phases of my weight loss journey. I’m okay with that. I just want to love myself again and get out of this miserable shell of a body.

Phase 1 = 160
Phase 2 = 140 (healthy and happy weight)
Phase 3 = 130

Wow Tracey, that’s amazing! My starting weight is similar to yours. I’m at 223, but will probably weigh less after the pre-surgery liquid diet. Anyhow, your numbers are encouraging for me. My team has been suggesting a goal weight of 160, which seems kinda high to me. They want to keep my expectations low. I’m just waiting for a surgery date,

I started at 236 and landed at 165. 10 pounds more then when I graduated high school amd thought I was fat. I am Comfortable at 165 and likely wouldn't look good skinnier. The range the doc gave you is average based on a lower starting date.

Karen, I am 54 years old and short as well at 5’ 4” so a weight range of 120 to 130 doesn’t look anorexic or unhealthy on me. We agreed to set several goals for the different phases of my weight loss journey. I’m okay with that. I just want to love myself again and get out of this miserable shell of a body.

Phase 1 = 160
Phase 2 = 140 (healthy and happy weight)
Phase 3 = 130

Just a heads up from personal and professional experience, weightloss won't magically make you love yourself. Will it help, possibly but coming to terms with the new look and excess skin can be super challenging.

Last edited:
No shit! I've had years of therapy and EMDR to try to overcome low self-esteem and childhood trauma. I'm not stupid or naive. Thanks for the heads-up (sigh).
Yet we wonder why people don't want to post. My post was simply from a perspective of after care. While we are all told about body change and the potential impact I personally don't think what they tell as is anywhere near what the brain goes through. I'm 19 months post and still have days thw skin amd new body are too much. Days that I stay away from mirrors and sleep in my clothes because seeing the "new" body is flat out too difficult.

I do think it’s an interesting topic as far as realism is concerned. A lot of people go into WLS surgery saying they’re doing it for their health. And that’s a huge, important reason. But inside we all want to look a certain way and hope that will improve our self esteem and self love. I’m smaller than expected, weigh less than I did when I graduated high school, and I struggle with self confidence and self love still.
Remembering self love isn’t what’s looking back in the mirror, the number on the scale, or the size we wear but what we value of ourselves on the inside. This is all just a personal perspective and not directed towards anyone. Well, maybe I like reminding myself.

The main reason I had WLS was absolutely for my health. I watched my aunt lose part of her foot, then the whole foot and finally half the leg to diabetes. I felt like I was seeing my own future. But you are not kidding about the shock of expected appearance and what your actual body ends up looking like.

I look NOTHING like I was expecting. The last time I lost a significant amount, I was 29, which looks a hell of a lot different than 51, that's for sure. It took me a long time to get comfortable with what I look like now. And to be honest, my saggy knees still annoy me to no end. I always considered myself to be fairly confident and not really lacking self-esteem, even when I was heavy. But not every change your body has is positive and it's just one more mental change that has to be made. Add that to giving up my go-to emotional fix, (overeating) and it seems like this journey is a lot more mental than physical.

I’ve considered implants, but I don’t want to deal with upkeep. I’m fine with a padded bra. But yeah, not a lot left there.
When I got my plastics, I had enough breast tissue (just much lower than it should be), so I have fullness and shape like an implant without the upkeep. My surgeon explained it as they almost invert and turn the tissue into a "bowl" shape. I am SUPER happy to not have the upkeep or the foreign item in my body.

When I got my plastics, I had enough breast tissue (just much lower than it should be), so I have fullness and shape like an implant without the upkeep. My surgeon explained it as they almost invert and turn the tissue into a "bowl" shape. I am SUPER happy to not have the upkeep or the foreign item in my body.
I will keep that in mind! I would love to get the excess skin removed from my arms, chest, and whole middle, but I think I need to win the lottery first LOL

I want to have my breasts reduced because I lost weight asymmetrically and they are mostly just hanging skin anyway. After I get my mini face lift, that is the first thing on my list of things to do. My husband is willing to let me have the whole body done, but I have to wait a while before is even be eligible for that, and I don't know if I'd want that. It's sweet of him to offer, because I know he doesn't care. He thinks I'm the sexiest thing he's ever seen just the way I am!

At the beginning of my journey, I did not have a weight loss goal. I just figured I'd know when I'd get there. At my 6-month postop visit, my surgeon advised me not to lose anymore weight as my BMI was 24, and due to my blood pressure issues, they don't want me dropping extra weight. So I'm happy with my current weight at 145 lbs. I just hope I can maintain it.

I wish we were able to be happier with our bodies overall. I mean, you have this surgery to improve your life and it does. And then we are all "omg, my saggy boobs, butt, tummy KNEES!" I have always tried to be comfortable in my body, but it doesn't always work. I'm 51 years old. I had sag before surgery, and I expected to have it after. And to be 100% honest, I kind of like my stomach .. it was always saggy and so it's the only part of me I actually recognize as me. But, I'm out here thinking about how I can afford to have the skin on my knees lifted. Is there even such a thing as a knee lift?!?!

This is not to say that people should not have skin removal or whatever. I am 100% for doing whatever makes you happy. I just think it's sad that we have all been convinced to focus on our flaws over almost everything. I wish I was comfortable enough to just wear the damn shorts and not immediately look at my knees. They work, they get me where I need to go and isn't that a huge improvement over where they were 2 years ago?

Mentally changing the way I think about my size is a SLOW process. The other day I asked one of my sisters (the one who’s always been skinny and complains she needs to diet :rolleyes:, I love her but it drives me crazy) if she has a certain belt I can borrow to go with an outfit. She said yes, and my response was, “I just hope it’ll fit.” Then she said, it will absolutely fit you. Still worrying about sitting in booths, feeling like an imposter shopping in the size 12/14/middles, always thinking somethings going to be too small to actually fit. The physical changes are a lot faster than the mental-even when the physical changes are slow.

I hope that did not come off as preachy or against self-improvement, by any means including surgical. I mean I had WLS so obviously I'm not against elective surgery! I was not/am not judging anyone, My post was more a commentary on the way society affects our self esteem. And not meant to be commentary on anyone else's decisions.

My current thoughts are that it's not in my best interest, financially or health wise. BUT if they did an outpatient mini-KNEE lift, I'd be there, credit card in hand LOL

Back