• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Liquid Diet Vent

April1980

I have 2 days left on this liquid diet before my single anastomosis duodenal switch surgery. I have 5 shakes a day of the brand required by my surgeon. That's right a specific brand. They are the most awful shakes in history. I literally want to vomit every single time I have to drink one. I'm allowed to have as much sugar free jello (i don't care for jello but it's actually filling when you really need something in the middle of the day), sugar free popsicles (fyi... they make sugar free Bomb Pops now.... love them), crystal light, and as much bullion as I want. The last 3 are keeping me hydrated and when someone tells me prior to surgery i can have as many sugar free popsicles as i want.... I bought 6 boxes im not even going to pretend I didnt. Either way I have 2 days left of these shakes and after 3 weeks im a so freaking glad.

Hi April, welcome to the group. I just wanted to commend you on this great complaining post. I am completely serious. So many people come here and just complain and complain and complain and list complaints and just generally are so negative, I don't even want to comment on their posts or offer an opinion. But you really hit the nail on the head with the things that were awful and then you looked at the other side of the coin because you could see why. And lastly you could see an end and you are looking forward to it. That's a good story and it's well told. You are going to do great with your surgery and with your recovery. And if you have any complaints when you come home from the hospital, I bet you're going to express them eloquently and logically. I look forward to following your story.

I have been reading quite a bit about this liquid diet that everyone seem to be on for surgery. My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie diet. I’m not very active because I has major knee and back issues. Seem like I’m one of those
who have put on a liquid. It there a reason they put some liquids and others not?

When I had surgery I was on the liquid diet only after I had had surgery. Now it appears that it's part of the discipline that people are taught before surgery. I can tell you that if it had been a pre-surgical requirement I probably would have failed. I detest liquid diets. I gain weight on them. What happens is I have my smoothie or Shake and it's really awful and I hate it but I eat it and then I realize I am still hungry. So I eat some food. Then I eat another Shake Etc. However after surgery the liquid diet was wonderful. It was just certain juices broth jello and maybe popsicles. It was absolutely exactly what I needed to heal.

I have been reading quite a bit about this liquid diet that everyone seem to be on for surgery. My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie diet. I’m not very active because I has major knee and back issues. Seem like I’m one of those
who have put on a liquid. It there a reason they put some liquids and others not?
I was not put on a liquid diet before surgery either. I had to loose 10% of my starting weight but was encouraged to do it via a high-protein, low-carb diet. I think it all depends on the surgeon.

The doctors say it is to shrink the liver before surgery that way it is lighter to lift out of the way so they don't nick it. That is what they say. But I am not for sure.
That is exactly what I was told 15 years ago when I got my LapBand. Pre & post surgery combined, I was on sugar free fat free liquids for 8 weeks. The Pre-op diet was torture!

Oh I don't drink anything with sugar in it in the first place. Water is my number one thing I drink if I want a change I will go to gatorade zero but only the orange one. I need to find others that I like but the orange is my favorite still

My liquid diet is 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after ONLY

Hello everybody! I went to my pre-op class yesterday. There were 6 of us in the class. The recommendation was to try to lose 5-25 pounds...not required, but recommended to improve the liver status. I bought several boxes of the meal replacement shakes that are sold in the nutrition store at the office. Will try to lose, but I don't think I'll replace EVERY meal.....just yet.

The shakes are good before surgery but too sweet after surgery. Do not do this unless you are willing for a total life change. I was only 100 pounds over weight and wish I had gone to the gym. Now I have to do both to get arms and legs into shape. I weighted 232 before and 2 months later weigh 202. I had a Nissan Fundoplication, a Bariatric procedure, and also had my bowel nicked during the procedure that was not found for 5 days after the procedure. The complications one thinks cannot happen can happen. Think long and hard.

All surgeons require the liquid diet. One who has been eating significantly fatty foods will have a fatty liver and it is necessary to have that liver detoxified and reduced in size. One cannot abuse the body with food and expect to not have consequences when you remove the fatty foods. Come on you have to pay the price if you want to loose the weight.

Oh I don't drink anything with sugar in it in the first place. Water is my number one thing I drink if I want a change I will go to gatorade zero but only the orange one. I need to find others that I like but the orange is my favorite still
If you are hypertensive watch the Gatorade it is high in salt and could case retention of fluids and hypertension and raise your blood pressure if you drink it in significant quantities. The orange is delicious but be judicious in amounts.

I have found Atkins High Protein Shakes and they do not taste artificial like the other shakes do. Try them

Back