• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Liquid diet

Bill S.

Hi everyone! Tomorrow I go see my surgeon for the first time since my surgery and I’m going to start the puréed part of the diet finally.Does anyone have any puréed recipes especially holiday ones I would appreciate it. Also wanted to know and I’ll probably ask my surgeon do you always feel really week all the time. I’ve been getting my three protein shakes a day and at least 60 ounces of water.But in the morning I can hardly do anything.Is it pretty normal and does your stomach feel full all the time even when you’ve had nothing to drink. Thanks

Hi everyone! Tomorrow I go see my surgeon for the first time since my surgery and I’m going to start the puréed part of the diet finally.Does anyone have any puréed recipes especially holiday ones I would appreciate it. Also wanted to know and I’ll probably ask my surgeon do you always feel really week all the time. I’ve been getting my three protein shakes a day and at least 60 ounces of water.But in the morning I can hardly do anything.Is it pretty normal and does your stomach feel full all the time even when you’ve had nothing to drink. Thanks
Hiya Bill - good luck tomorrow!!!

I don't cook so no recipes to share but I'm sure others will have some.

Hmm, I didn't feel full like that but everyone is different. I'm sure your surgeon will ease your mind.

Hi Bill! There are a lot of great recipes out there for pureed foods. I will post a few of the websites I use to give you some options. Also, check out youtube videos! I found a couple of my favorites that way (unfortunately I don't remember the recipes at this point, sorry!). Good luck with the next stage :)

Bariatric Surgery Recipes | Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin
Bariatric Friendly Recipes
Bariatric Foodie - Helping the WLS community play with their food!
Bariatric Recipes | Bariatric Food Recipes | True You Food

Hi Bill! There are a lot of great recipes out there for pureed foods. I will post a few of the websites I use to give you some options. Also, check out youtube videos! I found a couple of my favorites that way (unfortunately I don't remember the recipes at this point, sorry!). Good luck with the next stage :)

Thank you missdarmitage I’ll check those out

And we have a recipes forum here. Go check it out.

I also posted my favorite pureed recipe. Essentially it's turkey (where you get the most protein per gram), a little applesauce, a little chicken broth, some cranberry sauce & soft carrots, all blended up. I got it from a baby food site. They have lots of good recipes & they generally leave out salt & sugar (though you don't have to). You can taste the turkey & cranberry sauce & it's just as satifying as a turkey dinner. Also, less nutritionally, you could puree ham with black-eyed peas (traditional New Year's Day meal in the south) and sweet potatoes. Add soft onions and if you must, perhaps a little brown sugar or few drops of molasses.

Anything you can eat as a meal can be pureed. You barely even need recipes. Pork chops plus mashed potatoes plus peas & carrots plus broth has gotta be good. I'm suddenly starving.

And we have a recipes forum here. Go check it out.

I also posted my favorite pureed recipe. Essentially it's turkey (where you get the most protein per gram), a little applesauce, a little chicken broth, some cranberry sauce & soft carrots, all blended up. I got it from a baby food site. They have lots of good recipes & they generally leave out salt & sugar (though you don't have to). You can taste the turkey & cranberry sauce & it's just as satifying as a turkey dinner. Also, less nutritionally, you could puree ham with black-eyed peas (traditional New Year's Day meal in the south) and sweet potatoes. Add soft onions and if you must, perhaps a little brown sugar or few drops of molasses.

Anything you can eat as a meal can be pureed. You barely even need recipes. Pork chops plus mashed potatoes plus peas & carrots plus broth has gotta be good. I'm suddenly starving.
Wow thanks all those sound good! I saw my surgeon today and he gave me a list of puréed foods .When I got home I looked at the list an wondered why it didn’t have scrambled eggs on it I’m sure with enough liquid you could purée eggs

Thank you! Follow the links by missdarmitage for some brilliant & beautiful recipes (which I will definitely be trying TODAY!).

I think eggs are on the next list, for soft foods or even semi-soft, depending on your nutritionist. Of course you're right, you could puree them, maybe with a little dill, soft onions, garlic and maybe yogurt. I wonder what that would taste like. I hesitate to say you might also microwave some bacon, make sure it's really drained, then microwave it again for more fat loss. You could pulverize a crispy piece in a mortar & pestle, then add it to the egg mixture in your blender.

But you might find it too salty & your stomach may not be ready. Too bad there isn't a bacon flavoring, like the bottled extracts of vanilla, lemon, etc. Worcestershire sauce can be administered in drops, as well as mustard or ketchup or even salad dressing. But again, you're using a new stomach & it seems the general tone of food is bland.

Of course you can try these out when you move on to soft food, which should be about a month or five weeks following surgery.

Ask a professional for an opinion on this. And you might take a trip to the grocery store & stand in the baking section. You may never have noticed how many flavorings and extracts are on those shelves. And in another part of the store, you'll find packets of beef, chicken & pork gravy, pizza and spaghetti sauce, dill dressing and anything that you can imagine. Adding just 1/4 teaspoon of dried gravy mix might hype up the flavor of the turkey puree a lot.

Thank you! Follow the links by missdarmitage for some brilliant & beautiful recipes (which I will definitely be trying TODAY!).

I think eggs are on the next list, for soft foods or even semi-soft, depending on your nutritionist. Of course you're right, you could puree them, maybe with a little dill, soft onions, garlic and maybe yogurt. I wonder what that would taste like. I hesitate to say you might also microwave some bacon, make sure it's really drained, then microwave it again for more fat loss. You could pulverize a crispy piece in a mortar & pestle, then add it to the egg mixture in your blender.

But you might find it too salty & your stomach may not be ready. Too bad there isn't a bacon flavoring, like the bottled extracts of vanilla, lemon, etc. Worcestershire sauce can be administered in drops, as well as mustard or ketchup or even salad dressing. But again, you're using a new stomach & it seems the general tone of food is bland.

Of course you can try these out when you move on to soft food, which should be about a month or five weeks following surgery.

Ask a professional for an opinion on this. And you might take a trip to the grocery store & stand in the baking section. You may never have noticed how many flavorings and extracts are on those shelves. And in another part of the store, you'll find packets of beef, chicken & pork gravy, pizza and spaghetti sauce, dill dressing and anything that you can imagine. Adding just 1/4 teaspoon of dried gravy mix might hype up the flavor of the turkey puree a lot.
Oh man that’s a lot of good ideas thank you so much!

Wow, tons of GREAT ideas Diane!!!

Miss D, I think I have failed to congratulate you properly on your huge weight loss. 3 months after surgery, how do you feel? Inquiring minds want to know! Hugs!

Miss D, I think I have failed to congratulate you properly on your huge weight loss. 3 months after surgery, how do you feel? Inquiring minds want to know! Hugs!
Thanks Diane! I feel AMAZING! I can't believe it has only been 3 months (it feels like I have been living my new life forever). My energy levels are up, I feel more confident and have noticed a change in my personality when I am in social situations. I always knew I was the biggest person in the room and would try to minimize notice since I was a walking billboard. Now I don't mind if people notice me! :D My siblings and I had our family Christmas yesterday and every year, we do a family photo. I started crying when I saw mine this year! Took me completely by surprise. Even though I know I have lost weight, it doesn't register when I think of my image in my mind. In my mind I still look close to 300 lbs, not 2 lbs away from 200! I have attached the photos here so you can see the difference. In the first, I am the one with white scarf with black polka dots. In the second, I am in the middle of the back row.

My God, what a difference! You are gorgeous! And to think it's only been a few months. Are you prepared for what is going to happen to you in the future when you become so thin and healthy? Because it's obvious that that is going to happen to you. You are going to succeed. Thank you for sharing those pictures! You should post them on your profile.

Thanks Diane! I feel AMAZING! I can't believe it has only been 3 months (it feels like I have been living my new life forever). My energy levels are up, I feel more confident and have noticed a change in my personality when I am in social situations. I always knew I was the biggest person in the room and would try to minimize notice since I was a walking billboard. Now I don't mind if people notice me! :D My siblings and I had our family Christmas yesterday and every year, we do a family photo. I started crying when I saw mine this year! Took me completely by surprise. Even though I know I have lost weight, it doesn't register when I think of my image in my mind. In my mind I still look close to 300 lbs, not 2 lbs away from 200! I have attached the photos here so you can see the difference. In the first, I am the one with white scarf with black polka dots. In the second, I am in the middle of the back row.

View attachment 2176
View attachment 2175
Amazing!!! You look beautiful and happy Miss. You should feel so proud. :)

Back