• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Long time away.....

Mimi G

Hello everyone! After my "aborted" RNY surgery I was in a major funk....really down and thought I'd somehow failed at surgery because my MD stopped when I'd been under too long and he was still working on scar tissue. Only lost another 15 lbs, but second attempt on 11/22 went great! A different anesthesiologist (not a nurse) made all the difference. I'm now 3 1/2 weeks post op and feeling pretty good. My surgeon prefers a very slow return to food, so I did 10 days clear liquids, 2 weeks protein shakes, and will now start 2 weeks of 2 shakes and 2 "soft food meals with protein powder added". I think there are a lot of mashed potatoes and applesauce in my future! :) Now for the most amazing.......I gone from 376 to 351 since surgery! My clothes fit different! My face is much slimmer! My shoes are even loose!!!!! What's that about? I guess I had more edema in my feet and legs than I ever knew. This is called the honeymoon for a reason.....I'm having a great time and just "hanging out"!.
I went to the grocery store 4 days ago.....made it halfway thru before my stomach really hurt where the hernia repair (umb.) was done. Had to leave hanging on the cart like an 80 year old lady!!! I guess it was too soon for that. Right now I'm just walking a lot around the house, stretching my body a lot, doing some weight with my arms. Does this sound like enough? I don't want to do too much, but I'm kinda scared the weight loss will stop.

Sounds like you are doing well try not to rush yourself so that you do not hurt yourself and have a relapse and end up back in the hospital. Good luck and keep up the great work.

After I came home from the hospital yesterday I was up and moving around my house when suddenly I felt like I was going to pass out, and became extremely nautious- I think it was my body telling me to slow down. After laying down for about ten minutes I felt so much better. Don't try to push yourself to fast, follow the Drs orders, and enjoy all the benefits you are feeling now.

Just keep moving your arms and legs and exercise while sitting down if you have to. You will know when it's time to increase your exercise. No worries!

Mimi, congrats on the surgery. As for exercise, just do what you're doing and stop when you feel fatigued. Before you know it, you'll be covering a lot more distance and time. Your body is still healing so don't rush it, besides you have the rest of your life to exercise and thanks.

Frank

:cool:

Hello everyone! After my "aborted" RNY surgery I was in a major funk....really down and thought I'd somehow failed at surgery because my MD stopped when I'd been under too long and he was still working on scar tissue. Only lost another 15 lbs, but second attempt on 11/22 went great! A different anesthesiologist (not a nurse) made all the difference. I'm now 3 1/2 weeks post op and feeling pretty good. My surgeon prefers a very slow return to food, so I did 10 days clear liquids, 2 weeks protein shakes, and will now start 2 weeks of 2 shakes and 2 "soft food meals with protein powder added". I think there are a lot of mashed potatoes and applesauce in my future! :) Now for the most amazing.......I gone from 376 to 351 since surgery! My clothes fit different! My face is much slimmer! My shoes are even loose!!!!! What's that about? I guess I had more edema in my feet and legs than I ever knew. This is called the honeymoon for a reason.....I'm having a great time and just "hanging out"!.
I went to the grocery store 4 days ago.....made it halfway thru before my stomach really hurt where the hernia repair (umb.) was done. Had to leave hanging on the cart like an 80 year old lady!!! I guess it was too soon for that. Right now I'm just walking a lot around the house, stretching my body a lot, doing some weight with my arms. Does this sound like enough? I don't want to do too much, but I'm kinda scared the weight loss will stop.

Hi,

Yes take your time.

Rest. Heal.

The first month is for resting and healing.

Yes, a little walk to the extent that you can do it. But don't push it.

It isn't time yet to do that.

You have the rest of your life for that; a healthier life.

Yes, the feet get smaller too. The first thing I noticed post op about 3 weeks is I went to a country western dance and I was able to easily get back into my boots; something I couldn't do prior to the surgery.

Keep posting here.

We support each other.

Also, find a local support group and attend. it is so important to surround yourself with successful bariatric patients and great stories.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Mimi.. How are you doing?? I hope all is well :) How is your weight loss doing now? :)

like everyone said. We are all different and, no matter what, it is important to listen to your body. Take your time is a lot better than doing something too much and having a ton of more problems.

Back