• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for support pre op gastric bypass

I got home this morning, and immediately climbed into my bed and slept for about 3 hours. I love seeing my daughter and being with her, but there is no place like home. As for the eclipse, it was pretty much a non event for us. It was dumping rain, lightning and thunder everywhere and nothing to see. It did get dark for a bit but we couldn't see a thing. Disappointing, but what can a person do? I had my few days with my daughter and that was what I wanted more than anything else. We had great time.
Glad to hear you had a good time and made it home safely. :)

I was lucky and had no real complications. I was nauseaous the first couple of months, but my doctor was never really able to figure out why. The toughest part has been not giving in to old habits of eating related to my emotional eating. I eat when I'm down or not feeling well and I don't reach for healthy foods. Whatever you do, stay on track with your eating. One slip turns to many.
Christine - tell me more about the nausea you experienced. Everything I swallow - the tiniest bit - makes me feel sick like I may vomit - even a sip of water! I'm 3.5 months post op, and it isn't getting any better. Does this sound like what you experienced? And how long did your issue last? I expected the change in taste, and the small portions, but didn't expect to have trouble with eating or drinking ANYTHING!

Christine - tell me more about the nausea you experienced. Everything I swallow - the tiniest bit - makes me feel sick like I may vomit - even a sip of water! I'm 3.5 months post op, and it isn't getting any better. Does this sound like what you experienced? And how long did your issue last? I expected the change in taste, and the small portions, but didn't expect to have trouble with eating or drinking ANYTHING!
I would check with your doctor. Mine only lasted about 2 months. I was nauseaous all of the time, but could eat a little bit and only gag or have dry heaves about every 2-3 days. Again, if I were you, I'd really push it with your doc to find out what is going on. Good luck!

Hey AnG, I totally agree that you should follow Christine's advice on checking in with your doc on the nausea, at the very least they will be able to give you something to help with it!

I can tell you I had a similar issue, however it wasn't limited to just what I would eat, I could smell something and it would tip the scales as well. I have also gotten nauseous for no real reason at all :( They like to package the reason for it as not getting enough protein daily but since I know I'm getting 85+ grams a day, I wasn't buying that reason. I also had an RN tell me I wasn't getting enough of the 'good fats' along with the water and protein daily. I've since added a bit of oil to the protein shakes to help with the balance. It's a battle, but it's getting better. My doc gave me dissolvable nausea meds and a patch to inhibit the gag reflex to get me through the last month, and it has helped a lot! I hope you are able to figure out something that works and thing improve greatly for you!

Hey AnG, I totally agree that you should follow Christine's advice on checking in with your doc on the nausea, at the very least they will be able to give you something to help with it!

I can tell you I had a similar issue, however it wasn't limited to just what I would eat, I could smell something and it would tip the scales as well. I have also gotten nauseous for no real reason at all :( They like to package the reason for it as not getting enough protein daily but since I know I'm getting 85+ grams a day, I wasn't buying that reason. I also had an RN tell me I wasn't getting enough of the 'good fats' along with the water and protein daily. I've since added a bit of oil to the protein shakes to help with the balance. It's a battle, but it's getting better. My doc gave me dissolvable nausea meds and a patch to inhibit the gag reflex to get me through the last month, and it has helped a lot! I hope you are able to figure out something that works and thing improve greatly for you!
. Hey Pixx. Sorry to hear you suffered too. I'm glad to hear the patches are helping. Thanks for that idea. I'll have to check on it with my neurologist. I still get nausea from my chronic migraines and the dissolvable don't help. I was given pills, but that aggravated my restless leg.

AnG, go talk to your doc!

Hello from Alaska! On Sept. 13 my life will dramatically change. There are days when I think I am ready, and day's when I think "what in the hel....ck am I doing" I am on day 2 of the pre-op diet and I am struggling. I am wondering if I should just do the protein shakes for all 3 meals. Trying to stick with the program of one "real" meal isn't working. It's a food land mine for me. That 1/2 cup of rice or potato or whatever ended up being closer to 2/3 cup. The 3-6 ounces of meat probably snuck up to 7-8oz.

I did pretty darn good in all the months before this. I gave up Pepsi which is one thing I never thought I could do. I still want it, but it's not worth it. I lost 16 pounds in the 6 weeks I gave it up and started walking every day.

I have some great support people. My daughter had the surgery about 10 years ago and is still skinny and sexy. Her husband had it a couple of years ago and gained all of his weight back .....plus some. So I have a good example and a good example of what NOT to do. My sister had the sleeve.... whatever it is and she is looking better and better.

So I hope I'm ready and I hope I can shrink my liver enough. This is hard. I'm hungry but the good part is, I am really seeing what some of my food cues were that have nothing to do with being hungry. But this is a minute by minute battle.

Hello from Alaska! On Sept. 13 my life will dramatically change. There are days when I think I am ready, and day's when I think "what in the hel....ck am I doing" I am on day 2 of the pre-op diet and I am struggling. I am wondering if I should just do the protein shakes for all 3 meals. Trying to stick with the program of one "real" meal isn't working. It's a food land mine for me. That 1/2 cup of rice or potato or whatever ended up being closer to 2/3 cup. The 3-6 ounces of meat probably snuck up to 7-8oz.

I did pretty darn good in all the months before this. I gave up Pepsi which is one thing I never thought I could do. I still want it, but it's not worth it. I lost 16 pounds in the 6 weeks I gave it up and started walking every day.

I have some great support people. My daughter had the surgery about 10 years ago and is still skinny and sexy. Her husband had it a couple of years ago and gained all of his weight back .....plus some. So I have a good example and a good example of what NOT to do. My sister had the sleeve.... whatever it is and she is looking better and better.

So I hope I'm ready and I hope I can shrink my liver enough. This is hard. I'm hungry but the good part is, I am really seeing what some of my food cues were that have nothing to do with being hungry. But this is a minute by minute battle.
Hi Debbie. My doctor had me on nothing but protein shakes for 2 full weeks before surgery. It was tough, but kept me on the straight and narrow.

Good job with giving up the Pepsi. Soda and caffeine are awful addictions. What a great start to your weight loss goal. Your going to lose even more weight while your on the protein shakes. Walking is great exercise. Keep it up.

Your support people will be great to have around after surgery. Everyone here are mine, but I wish I had some in person.

Good luck and can't wait to hear about your weight loss successes. :D

Thanks Chris! Last week on a trip to Seattle, I had a layover in Sitka and I found a cute t shirt there. I bought it......3X...... and said " it's the last 3X shirt I will ever buy for myself" crossing my fingers and hoping it's true.

Thanks Chris! Last week on a trip to Seattle, I had a layover in Sitka and I found a cute t shirt there. I bought it......3X...... and said " it's the last 3X shirt I will ever buy for myself" crossing my fingers and hoping it's true.
That 3X will be too big in no time!

It's 10 days since my surgery and so far there have been no complications and I am feeling great. We drove to my daughter's home in SC a couple days ago to watch the solar eclipse. We stopped every hour or so, docs orders, and it took about 12 hours. Because we did stop so often, I felt really good when we got there instead of stiff and sore as is usually the case. We go home late Monday night, and it will be good to sleep in my own bed again. I am not sure what my weight loss is but it has to be going down. I know this sounds weird, but even though I know I can't eat and am not hungry at all, I get great pleasure in smelling good food cooking.

Thanks for the encouragement and all your postings. They really help me a lot, especially when I can relate to them. Congrats on all your weight losses everyone! You are doing great!
how do you handle traveling and eating

I'm worried about how life goes on, after surgery. Concern about diet and going out with family

how do you handle traveling and eating
Hi BJR! Have to say that my trip was probably not the norm since I had just had surgery and wasn't hungry anyway, but all went well and to date, I have had absolutely no complications from the surgery. Sure, there are temptations here and there, but you get through it.

We drove, took us about 10 hours to get there. My doctor said I could go if we promised to stop every hour and walk around a few minutes. He was concerned about blood clots forming and it was only 10 days after surgery when we left. By stopping often like that, it took a long time, but I didn't get sore and stiff like I usually do. As for food, I was still on real restricted diet, think it was like half liquid or something, so wasn't much to worry about. We took what we needed for the trip and stopped if my sweety needed something hot to eat. I mostly had protein shakes and water.

Its been almost 7 months since surgery now and I have had no complications at all, and I am feeling great. Had to replace my clothes already, which is a big rush for me. Down a total of 90 lbs now. After the holidays, I had lost my focus, wasn't loosing weight hardly but thankfully not gaining any either. I joined WW just so I had the accountability for weighing in every week. I am not good about just being accountable to myself. Weight loss is back on track, and feeling better than ever! My lab results came back recently and my colesterol is excellent now and my doc says I no longer have kidney disease. I started all this with 39% functionality and now am up to 79% functionality, which is huge for me! My doc was so happy. Was a real good appt. Only meds I take now are for sinuses and allergys!

I'm worried about how life goes on, after surgery. Concern about diet and going out with family

Life always marches on! It is hard at first. You can't eat anything anyone around you is eating. You may feel like an outsider. It does get easier as time goes by, you heal, you find what you can eat. You learn to read menus carefully and order what you know you can tolerate. And if you eat something and it doesn't agree, you sip on some water or tea, smile, chat with your family and stop eating. You will adjust and learn, and it is all part of the journey. Totally worth it, as you'll be healthier and happier in the end. :)

Back