• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

lost in ky

I am new to this site and have no online friends. I need help. I did great the first 5 years with my rny but gradually got off track and now my weight is 205. I am 65 with bad knees so walking is not and option. I do have the option of wsimming. It is a 23 miled drive to town and someone else has to drive. I am determined to lose this weight but I can not do it alone.patti

Welcome to the group, Patti!!! You are on the right track in looking for support from friends (online friends are cool) and for asking for help. I just joined the group this past week so I don't know many and I am still reading intros and such to get to know everyone.

I have a few questions for you...when did you have surgery? which surgery did you opt for? what was your beginning weight and how much did you lose?

You are alot like me. It's a minimum 30 min drive to get to town for me. We are close in age, but I am a tad younger. I just turned 54. I can relate to the knees...mine were horrible before I dropped the weight. They say I need them both replaced, but my body is so thankful I've lost so much weight that I've not had any problems with them in so long that I don't need the surgery til later.

You know the first step is to identify that you have a problem and then jump in to fix it. I'm so excited to see you have come to the group for support. The mere fact that you did lose it, even if you have gained a bunch back, shows you have a lot of strength and discipline. Both are wonderful traits, as you know.

Yanno, swimming is so much better for you anyway. What a blessing to be able to swim.

How have you decided to work on losing the weight? I commend you for the determination you are showing. What can we do on this end to help you out?

I am soooo proud of you.

Take care.

Letrell

Patti-well it sounds like you are interested in continuing your weight loss and that is great. My RNY will be next month and I also face challenges similar to yours. The only exercises I am able to do are stretching and resistance band exercises while sitting in a chair. I have several physical disabilities one of which is I need a total hip replacement. Walking (with a walker) and even doing light housework is very painful. I just take things a day at a time and do what I can and try not to get stressed out. I also need help with some things, and as I'm sure you know, help isn't always available when you need it. Just keep trying and make sure to come back to this forum for support. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

thank you for being my online friend. surgey 11-26-03.lost 120 lbs. 262 to 143. My best weight was around 158,then became acceptle at 165 and now here I am at 205. I have requested a package from a facility about 60 miles away so I can have some one on one support but I can't help but feel thatt If I have a friend on line to share with it be better for me than just the monthly support group. keep wriing and I will too. take care patti

ohhhhhhhhhhh patti...so...let's put this in proper perspective.... you aren't seeing the big picture here, hon.

You were okay with 165. That's actually a decent weight. A few lbs over, possibly, of what the AMA says..but so flamin' what? You were okay with 165...you are now 205. Hon...look at that...you are only 40 lbs over where you are comfortable!!!! Sure 143 is better and 158 is great too...but....165 is just fine.

So...concentrate on that. You need to lose 40 lbs...not 60, not 75, not 100....to feel better about yourself, you want to lose 40 lbs. So start there.

I'm not going to go on lecturing you here about doing this or that, but would really really like to be an online friend for you. If you'd like to speak privately, contact me by private message. I have some thoughts for you.

Be safe, smile, and don't let the buggers get to you!!!

Letrell

hope

you are not lecturing me and I respect what you are saying. The hardest part is just getting theright mindset. It is like when you stop smoking and everyone in the family continues to smoke. Not a particularly good analogy but it fits the bill........patti

you are so right, patti! it does fit and you said it beautifully. I'll figure out this private message thing and will send one to you...respond if it makes it through. LOL. I haven't sent one yet.

Letrell

Back