• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

low blood sugar during pre-op liquid diet

Thanks for the diabetes information Nana. I owe my PCP routine bloodwork in August, including a cholesterol check. I'm keeping my fingers crossed so that I can stop taking the meds for this. I take quite a few meds including one for BP but it's more to control heart palpatations that sometimes happen due to Grave's Disease (hyperactive thyroid). Even stopping one med will be cause for celebration :) :) :)

Ok I'm the newby here. My son had the sleeve in July and now I'm beginning the process of having the gastric bypass. I am diabetic so that is the one I have to have. I am almost done with everything. Should possibly get scheduled mid to end of September. I am doing it to get rid of the diabeties. I only need to lose about 70 lbs. Can i get some input from anyone that has gone through the surgery and is or was a diabetic.

Hi Candy! I am 2 months out from the duodenal switch. I was a diabetic, and I have not been on my medication since surgery. My blood sugar doesn't go over 135 early mornings it is usually 89 or 90. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, get in plenty of protein. And I don't think that the bypass is your only option because you are diabetic. The insurance looks at many different things, your weight, your height your BMI...how long you have been trying to lose weight and things like that. I was granted the Switch because I am only 5 ft 1 and weight 272, my BMI was over 51...If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask

I didn't take my Metformin last night, I had some soup around 9pm and went to bed at 10:30. This morning at 4:15 my blood sugar was 116. I had a rough time sleeping but that is because my Quaker Parrot was sick. He still isn't himself, but is doing better this morning. He is giving kisses and talking at least, and he has eaten.

Will keep you all posted on what my doctor says. Thanks to all of you for being here for me.

I was glad to read your post. In a month I start my pre-op liquid diet and am a diabetic on metformin, glyburide, and lantus. In a couple of weeks I see my diabetic doctor and on the day I start my diet I see my surgeon. After reading your post and the replies, I will definitely be discussing my meds for while I am on this diet as my blood sugars can drop fast even with just a 10 lb weight loss.

Back