• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Low Calorie Diet..

KristenJH

I know most surgeons want their patients to go on a low calorie diet before their surgery, and from what I've read on these forums is that it seems like most people do pretty good losing weight before their surgery. So what I'm getting at is.. if that low calorie diet is working pretty well is it possible to just stick to that diet or is there some type of long term side effects from just staying on that diet?

Diet or new Life style

At the Bariatric center that I go to patients are required to attend a very informative 2 hour nutrition seminar with at least two 1 on 1 followup appointments with the nutritionist. The idea is to learn how you will need to eat for the rest of your life - healthy and well balanced. Your food journal is checked, suggestions are made for tweaking your eating. It's a wonderful learning experience and I feel confident that I will be well "trained" to handle keeping weight off after using the surgery as the tool it is meant to be. When the nutritionist "releases" you, knowing you are ready, then you can meet with the surgeon to talk about your surgery. Some people will feel they don't need the surgery at this point, but for those of us with such a large amount of weight to lose the surgery helps us begin our "new" lives sooner!

The surgery controls your appetite which in turn keeps you from overeating, at least in the beginning. During the first 18 months or so your body and attitude towards food adjusts to the healthy eating habits you have learned. Those of us who have managed to lose weight and can't manage to keep it off need the "extra" help of the surgery to be successful for the rest of our lives. Even with the surgery, permanent weight loss requires due deligence and is not guaranteed unless you follow a healthy eating plan. For me, sticking to a weight loss diet alone is just not enough and the surgery will give me the edge I need for a successful and permanent weight loss. To answer your other question, staying long term on a diet shouldn't be harmful if you eat sensibly. Seeing your doctor and a nutritionist while dieting, with or without surgery, will help keep you healthy.

I JUST WANT TO MENTION TO EVERYONE THAT KEVIN HAS MADE US A NICE CHAT ROOM. PLEASE STOP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHEN YOU VISIT THE FORUMS SO WE CAN ALL GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.

Last edited:
I do not believe there is any diet that works permanently for people. If there was, why do the surgery/? We've all tried "everything" and surgery is usually a last chance.

LO Carb

I had to lose 60 lbs before my surgery. I used low carb and lost 72 lbs before my surgery. My blood work all improved, cut my BP meds in half and improved my arthritis. So I will continue to follow my new lifestyle.

I just saw the surgeon for the first time and I have to lose 45-50 lbs before I can have surgery, medicare will not pay for medical weight management so I am basically on my own. He suggested the adkin's diet. I am going to start monday. also have to quit smoking. I am as of an hour or so ago a non-smoker. but when I don't smoke I want to eat. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling discouraged already because I have never been able to diet and lose weight, hence the need for the surgery!

Rettak-I hope you don't mind me asking but why does your surgeon want you to lose 45-50 lbs. before your RYN? I understand the need to quit smoking but not the pre surgical weight loss requirement. I can offer a few diet tips. I don't know if you cook or how you feel about frozen meals but you might try buying some Stouffer's Lean Cuisine frozen entrees. Some of them are excellent like the butternut squash ravioli, mac and cheese, stuffed cabbage and angel hair pasta with shrimp. Add a generous side of your favorite vegetables or salad and you have a satisfying meal. I'll bet you can do 3-4 of these meals a day plus a low fat breakfast and a couple of snacks of fruit or sugar free pudding cups and still manage to lose weight.

Make sure you keep us posted on your progress.

If your BMI is too high or if you have a fatty liver they will have you lose weight before surgery. There might be other reasons as well.

Pat99 i have a question for u do u know how to make the protin shakes into pudding? i beleve it's going to be the only way to get them in, help please, only getting one in a day.:confused:

Denise,

They sell the protein puddings here in the American Bariatric Store. I haven't tried them because I don't care for puddings as a general rule. What I like are the fruit flavored protein drinks they sell here. They have 15 Grams of protein, I don't know about the pudding. I know they have recipes for puddings on some of the sites that sell protein powders. I use Unjury that is recommended by my Center and I buy from them to save shipping costs. Some health food stores sell some puddings too. What I really like and find that I can tolerate is a shake made from unflavored Unjury and lemonade flavored crystal lite. I like the tartness. It mixes well and I can't taste the protein powder at all. I sip on those for about an hour to get them in. Pat has recipes for everything though.

Joy

8 oz water, protein powder, banana, yogurt, flavored or not, ice cubes. Blender. The more ice you add, the thicker it gets. You can use minute tapioca as well to thicken it.

Protein shake, yogurt, ice. Blender.

Unless you just make a pudding and add in the protein, that's about the best you can do.

Or take a pudding cup and stir in protein powder.

Or use jello pudding and add some protein powder to it.

Easy, peasy.

Smile and enjoy!

Letrell

I didn't have to be on a strict diet before surgery, but i've read here that some people were put on the liquid only diet, the same one as you will need to be on for a few weeks post surgery. An all liquid diet forever is not the way to go and not healthy. If you are even wondering about this option, it doesn't sound like you are ready for the committment any type of WLS will need. You need to be 100% committed or you will have complications post surgery. Speak to your team and let them answer your questions. Try to diet to loose the weight you need, before opting for the lifelong committment of WLS. Good luck

thank u Letrell i will try this i hope it help's but i am loseing a pound a day and it is so nice to see the scale, i use to hate it now i love it if that's not funny.u have done so well u must feel real good.again thank u have a happy thanks giving. denise

Back