• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Maintenance Support

WANDLY65

Good day all,

I am new to this site and trying to research some options. I decided a while ago that I really wanted to do the lap band for assistance with my weight loss goals. Since I had to self pay, I researched many options and decided to pursue surgery with a surgeon in Jacksonville, Florida. I chose this surgeon as my sister-in-law had her surgery (going from a size 22 to a size 4) with him and I felt her results were a pretty good endorsement of his skills. While I was pondering whether to do it for sure, my SIL called me to tell me the doctor was running a "special" providing the surgery for $15k. Now again, since I had to scrape up the $$ to get this done, I signed up immediately and got the surgery.

Now comes the interesting part. Since I opted to have the surgery done in FL instead of my home state in New England, the local bariatric providers refused to provide me maintenance on my band! I searched the most local who flat out refused service, then contacted a facility in Portsmouth, NH that said the doctors met once per month to review cases and that I would have to write them a letter explaining in detail why I chose to have the surgery in FL instead of locally! Really? I finally did find a provider that was 45 minutes away who agreed to do the maintenance. Boy was that a mistake. First, they would only give me fills at the rate of 1cc for the first 4 visists, then would only give me .25 ccs each visit after that. I finally got to 7.5 ccs and they told me they would not do any more fills for me, even though the effectiveness of the band was getting me into the "yellow zone" after about a month. The best part? They charged me between $450 and $550 per visit! Does that seem reasonable and customary? It is cheaper for me to fly to Florida and pay my surgeon the $50 charge to take care of the maintenance than it is to drive 45 minutes north for a fill! :( On top of that, I recently got some food stuck that lead to vomiting and pretty bad acid reflux. Instead of taking out 1 or 2 ccs (which I now find they should have done then put me on a liquid diet unti the swelling went down) they took out all of the fluid, then made me have an upper GI to check for slippage, then an upper endoscopy (all paid out of pocket). I am very frustrated at this point. By the time I could co-ordinate with my original surgeon, it has been two months and I am still not back up to the original fill amount. I am getting very depressed with the way this group, and the area surgery centers in general have treated a patient. Plainly, this group is more interested in the money than the care.

Can anyone provide me with any feedback? I am very curious to hear from others who may have chosen the same route and whether anyone else has been put through the proverbial ringer because they had to self pay and were forced into making the best financial decision coupled with quality of care.
Thanks!

Welcome to the board. I am very sorry to hear about the problems you are encountering. Unfortunately I can not give you any advice, only encouragement. This is your health we are talking about, keep fighting and don't give up. I'm hoping one of our members can help you out here. Let us know how you are doing.

Frank

:cool:

I'm sorry you are being treated so badly. Another scenario---what if you lived in Florida, had the surgery, then moved to New England? No one would think twice about treating you. Maybe you should change your story.....

Hi Wandly,

I too have a band which I had done in Pensacola. My surgeon states what fills will cost if you had another surgeon do your band and if he did not do the band he makes you have your fills done under flouroscope which makes sense to me. I too was a self pay because I just got tired of waiting and it just worked out for me to do it that way for a couple of other reasons.

Regarding your fills, my first fill was 4 cc's, then after that usually 1 cc for a couple of times and then about 1/2 cc. I now have 8.5 in my band I think so the way yours are being done is about right. I am surprised they took all of the fluid out. I have thrown up a few times and the most they ever did was not give me a fill, not take any out. I automatically went on clear liquids after those episodes.

I live in a military town so people coming from other areas are common. Try and find a doctor close to a military town and you might have some luck. 450 dollars for a fill is way too much. My doc charges 75 but if you have to have flouro with the fill it is more. Can't remember but I think he said $150.00 if he did not do the band. My surgeon doesn't do the fills anyway, it is the PA and he is really good. The surgeon said I would like him as he is specially trained.

So sorry you have had to go through this. Perhaps your surgeon in Jacksonville could contact someone for you and have your fills done as a professional courtesy. They sure are money hungry in your area. Additionally, it sounds like you had someone to take care of you after surgery which is a valid reason to get surgery done in a different area.

I think doctors are also afraid of surgeries done in Mexico where a band costs 5,000 so anyone who has to get fills has big time trouble finding someone to do the post op care. They are also afraid of lawsuits.

Is your port easily accessible. Mine is very close to the skin layer so quite easy to access. In fact I could probably do it myself if given the chance (Nurse here and used to working with ports). I can understand when they are under five inches of fat that they are more difficult to maintain. They can't put all 7.5 cc's back in at one time.

Hope you can work it out. Good luck. And, Welcome to the forum. Joy

Sorry you're having such a hard time Wandly. I am also disappointed with the after care that my surgeon's office is not providing. I did self pay as well and once they got my money and did the surgery, they forgot my name. That's why I sought out this forum, I needed support. I hope you find a solution to your problem...it does not sound good. Good luck, I truely hope you can find an honest doctor to help you.

Back