• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Monthly Challenge

My body told me two days ago to slow down. I really got myself to the point of exhaustion. Tried putting pool filter back together before going to movie with husband on Sunday. Missed putting a tube/hose inside the filter tank, knew I was going to have to empty the tank and redo it. Was so frustrated and mad at myself. we went and saw the movie Thor love and thunder. Very different from previous stuff but as husband says the music tracks were great. After the movie we came home and I fell asleep for a couple of hours. Was supposed to be mowing also after the movie, didn’t make it outside too tired. Still didn’t make the mowing today but today the pool filter is back up and running after two days of being taken apart. I did have some help which made it easier. Got a visit from chosen granddaughter today we chatted and sat in new patio. Showed her all the new stuff. She loved it. We had a great time. Went out after she left to work on filter took one of the dogs with me, she decided to escape the yard and run the neighborhood. Some neighborhood young ones offered to help catch her after she ran by them. Great kids and we got dog in her yard. Gonna have to work on the fence to the pool yard before taking dog there again. Glad I use filter balls instead of sand. They can be laundered and reused. Which I did wash and put back. The young ones helped me empty the pool tank and attach tube and then refill the tank. The pool filter is up and running. Added algaecide and chlorine for over night, hopes the water is clear when I check it tomorrow.

Had a less than ideal day yesterday and did not track or do anything really. Ugh.
I am trying to go visit my family in Arkansas. But between their issues and mine, we can't seem to get it together. I really would like to see my cousin, who is going thru some stuff, which has me freaked out as well. That's my person!
So, I am feeling resentful of my familial responsibilities and hers too lol
Let me go write down my breakfast before I screw up today too. Since my 1st responsibility is to ME!

Mon July 11th

Protein: 40gs
Water: 96ozs
Exercise: some walking
Weekly weigh-in: 162.6; loss from last week 4.6 lbs; total weight loss 71.4 lbs

Today is exactly my 1 year surgiversary. It's been quite a journey, with plenty of NSVs including feeling better, walking so much more easily, clothes fitting better, overall life changing in a great way.

Sure, there have been some struggles, and I'm sure there always are going to be temptations. I've had some emotional struggles facing my changing relationship with my life-long best friend and source of comfort, i.e. food. More specifically, junk food, fried & fatty foods, crappy carbs (not all carbs, mind you, just the usual suspects), etc. I rarely indulge in them for fear of developing a taste for them again.

But I would do this again in a heartbeat. Best. Decision. Ever. Wish I'd done it 10 years earlier. Now I'm trying to show my gratitude by living my best life in the years I have left. Thank you everyone for your support, great ideas, and stories you've shared bravely with us. ❤❤❤❤

Did not get all my food in today. Maybe light on drink too. Purposely gave up on getting everything to avoid weight gain. Got busy with mowing, got west side of house done, north side of house done and north and two east parkways done. Did not weed eat. Decided to stop there and get inside fenced yards tomorrow, ran filter all night after almost over filling the pool stopped the water at 4 am when I remembered and was about inch shy of running over. Pool water has been evaporating a lot this year. Good news is chemicals got water clear again. Went to do waste water vacuum and discovered I mowed the electric cord so had to go to store to get new end, great news only lost 1 foot of cord and filter is up and running. Other stop for store was pharmacy for husbands meds and battery for scale for tomorrow weigh in for VA Move session. With the kids help yesterday we worked on disconnecting the pool ladder to add extra step. Gap was too much for getting out of pool using cushion on the deck. Needed to make pool safe for the kiddos to swim as a reward for helping get dog back in yard and helping with filter. Busy young ones but very nice children. So instead of vacuuming I worked on ladder, got another young neighbor (early to mid 20’s) to help and I needed the help. The step is in place after struggling to separate the ladder from poles to hold while climbing out. tomorrow I will piece the top rail back in and add screws to new step and put the 8 screws back between rail and inside steps of ladder. I have also blocked off the area to add the additional two rows of pavers but that is not priority atm. Loves having projects to work on.

Hello all. I am currently stuck at the high end of my weight allowance. I am not getting enough exercise nor am I focusing on protein as I should. So, I'm starting a thread to hold myself accountable. My goals is to get back to my low weight, which for me means tracking. Water, protein, exercise, weekly weight fluctuation.
I'll post my numbers tomorrow.
Wow that's wonderful, 88 lbs down! I try to use my treadmill daily, doesn't work lol Good luck on that one elusive pound...

Well, I started a challenge and then went on a surprise vacay lol so .. We'll see what I weigh tomorrow.

Karen, I am so freaking proud of you!! I love the attitude of gratitude and your commitment to yourself!!

Well, I started a challenge and then went on a surprise vacay lol so .. We'll see what I weigh tomorrow.

Karen, I am so freaking proud of you!! I love the attitude of gratitude and your commitment to yourself!!
Awww thank you Missy. I feel like I'm celebrating a brand new me one year post WLS. I shopped mostly the perimeter of the grocery store yesterday. Lots of salad & veggies, carbmaster yogurts, eggs (free dozen thanks to Kroger's coupons!), etc. I wake up almost every morning feeling positive and optimistic, and I love that feeling!

Saturday July 16th

Water: 112 ozs
Protein: 50gs
Exercise: store walking & walking lol, loading, unloading, loading & unloading my buggy - 3 trips from my pickup to my apartment using my handheld cart

Snacking - some ice cream & a few pieces of Little Caesars thin crust. Today back to protein shakes & salads!!!

What I didn’t say about last Wednesday is I stressed my knee replacement squatting to low when trying to get ladder out of the pool. As a result I have been on ice and elevation since then and the water went full algae over night. I was unable to bear weight on leg btw same leg as the hip surgery. Got knee xrayed on Thursday. Waiting to see if I did any damage. Still icing or using icy/hot, but it is better and I can stand on it with minimal pain. Trying to keep up protein intake in spite of missing meals. Has to love the protein water. I am getting my water and that is good. Yesterday I went and brushed the walls and floor of pool. In addition to putting ladder back together and anchoring it in the pool. Then I weed trimmed the area around husbands tomato plants. Was a good day. I swiped his copper fit knee brace for now. It helps.

Well, halfway thru the monthly challenge and I am up 2lbs I am trying to learn not to be so hard on myself. I've come too far to beat myself up over vacation pounds. It was hot and the daily ice cream was worth it!! And I got kid size so it could've been worse lol

Took myself on a bike ride today and am drinking plain water so I'm back in the saddle or on the wagon or whatever the saying is.

Oh missy you are such a joy everyday. I am holding steady after 4 days of babying my 2014 replacement knee. Been icing it and elevating it after moving wrong. I kinda squatted too deep on it when trying to get the ladder out. Was barely weight bearing on it. Saturday slowly did a couple of things outside but kept to minimum of movement primarily weed eating around the big shed, grass and weeds stuff was getting waist high after two weeks. Sunday I worked on the last two rows of concrete pavers. Being thankful for the rollable Dolly to move them. Husband and yard guy are both saying I need two more rows. I said not this year. Been a busy day I am tired and have blood draw tomorrow.

Monday July 18th

Protein: 50gs
Water: 96ozs
Exercise: very little walking today
Weight: 163.8, up 1.2lbs from last week

Had an amazing salad for dinner, only could eat about 1/2. Filled it with 3 kinds of salad mixes, including chopped kale. Added chopped red onions, scallions, diced red, yellow, & green peppers, shredded carrots, sliced & diced radishes, shredded cheddar, bacon crumbles (Sam's Club real bacon), and ranch. It was so pretty & dee-lish!!! I know the ranch might not have been the best choice, but I am learning to love salads again so a little ranch is worth the rainbow of veggies lol.

Roni, you amaze me! I don't know where you get the energy. And its best that you relax a little and heal. Joints are tricky so let it rest up. Well, as restful as you get lol

Karen, your salad sounds so good. I've been growing peppers and tomatoes this year, so have been eating a lot of salads. I use Caesar .. which is worse than ranch. But you're right. Its well worth it to get all those fresh veggies. I use slow cooked chicken seasoned with Good Seasonings dry Italian dressing mix. Hidden Valley also sells a dry ranch seasoning packet. Very yummy.

I forgot to track after much yesterday but I drank an entire gallon of water and am down .4 pounds so, I'm on my way!!

Roni, you amaze me! I don't know where you get the energy. And its best that you relax a little and heal. Joints are tricky so let it rest up. Well, as restful as you get lol

Karen, your salad sounds so good. I've been growing peppers and tomatoes this year, so have been eating a lot of salads. I use Caesar .. which is worse than ranch. But you're right. Its well worth it to get all those fresh veggies. I use slow cooked chicken seasoned with Good Seasonings dry Italian dressing mix. Hidden Valley also sells a dry ranch seasoning packet. Very yummy.

I forgot to track after much yesterday but I drank an entire gallon of water and am down .4 pounds so, I'm on my way!!
Way to go Missy drinking that extra water. It really does help, especially with this crazy heat wave. I appreciate the suggestion about adding seasoned chicken. I have a container of Hidden Valley ranch seasoning, and several cans of white meat chicken. I sure miss growing our own peppers & tomatoes now that we live in a high-rise apartment (I just adore a penthouse view...).

Hubby finally tested negative for covid, after 8 days, so YAY! But that led to fun weekend, so I did not track anything. We even went to the drive in! I love a drive in movie .. even if it is minions. Which was adorable, btw
I am so glad you started the monthly challenge. I am gearing up to join you all once I get a few more days of facelift recovery under my belt, so to speak.

It's the weirdest thing, but I have not been hungry at all since surgery on Monday. I can barely get down a quarter of a sandwich.

I don’t know how much is energy as much as determination. Don’t forget lots of breaks. 5 min after moving a paver. Taking apart the yard guy’s work he set the pool shed steps 2 inches too low. I am fixing the broken pavers after taking them out. Did the research but still questioning myself. Going to wait 24 hours and turn them over and fix from the other side hoping it works and holds together. I am eating better today. Got new cpap mask yesterday did the tutorial and slept okay last night haven’t been sleeping well since the masks were broken , the seal came undone like 10 days ago. Set 9 16 inch pavers at base of pool ramp today fixed one paver and then stained the 9 boards for the glider. And finally finished staining the front board on the deck over the pool. Hoping water clears by tomorrow to waste vac. Or back to the pool store. Have fun people. Be safe.

Back