• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Moving on to regular food....

Djs76

I'm moving off the pureed and liquid phase and onto fork friendly foods. I know that I still need the 60-80 grams of protein, and that I should eat protein first. Also staying away from sugar and processed carbs, what are some carbs that are ok to eat? Potato's? Veggies? 2-weeks post op and 15 pounds down.

Congrats on the great start! The choice is yours when it comes to carbs. I would start with the things eaten on hte pureed diet and slowly add other items because at this point you do not know if you will dump. I decided early on to avoid the high carb items. It would seam every time I have one bite of something with white flour or sugar the cravings begin and I have to fight to get back on track. Just be cautious of how much you eat. I did eat a baked sweet potato for Christmas dinner and it was good.

Good luck remember to take it slow

My advice to you is to try one thing at a time and see how you react. I'm 4 months out (RNY) and I personally don't dump with any type of food. Just be careful about how much you eat at one time. I'm still learning the quantity thing. If I eat too much, especially carbs, I'm off to the bathroom to vomit. Carbs I can tolerate in moderation: toast, mashed potato, 1/4 cup elbow macaroni with a little sauce or mixed into tomato soup. I haven't really tried anything else out of fear of getting sick.

I am 2 weeks out as well and I haven't found anything I can't tolerate yet. Quantity is a big issue for me too especially since I have no issue with breads.

I am a month out and had my first complex carb today.... Home canned Black beans.. I did well with them. No dumping, no vomiting and no belly ache.

Thank you all for the great posts and ideas, I'm impressed with how quickly you all are losing! I'm hopeful that I can keep up, I'm watching my input and getting between 60 & 100 minutes of activity everyday!! Any other great ideas are always apprecaited, my post surgical isn't until 1/6 (3-weeks instead of 2 because of the Christmas and new year's holidays).

Keep up the great work!

My doctor's plan has me adding beans (pinto, kidney, black) next week. I don't introduce things like potatoes until month 6. Follow your doctor's advice.

My doctor's plan has me adding beans (pinto, kidney, black) next week. I don't introduce things like potatoes until month 6. Follow your doctor's advice.

It's funny how different doctors do things differently.. I could have mashed potatoes at 4 wks and sweet potatoes at 5 wks out. Of course it was a very small amount. I was eating 2 teaspoons a meal at that time.. lol

It is amazing at the difference. At 6 weeks I was told there were no restrictions. The only thing they told me was to avoid slider foods as these things don't feel you up and can make you gain weight.

When you start your beans make sure to season them up nicely... I make my black beans from Scratch.
I season them with garlic, onions, salt pepper and some cayenne for zip.

Back