• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My husband and I

Hello every one my name is Janet and I am 12 years
out. Alot of things have changed since I had gastric
Bypass done. My husband just had it done Dec 19th 2012
I'm just getting started on this site. So I don't know
know where to begin. I used to have a support web
Site, but I can't remember the name of it. I started
Out at 280 lbs. Got down to 156. I'm 5'7". Over
The years I have gained 20lbs. Now I am working to
Get that off since my husband just had surgery.

Greetings, Janet;

Welcome to the site. Good to see that you and your husband support each other. My husband is there for me, too. I had my surgery on 12/17/12.
My husband had his Cardiac surgery in October of 2012 and I was by his side as well. Plus, he was on the floor and unit at my hospital that I work on-so I could be at work and be there for him as well.

Carol

Well welcome and I bet it has indeed changed. Glad your husband and you are there to support each other.:)
Ty Thank y'all for the two replies I got. I'm still learning about. This sight, I would like to beable to post before and after pics. I know I need to fill out my profile. But I live in joelton, Tennis. Glad I joined the group. Anyone else live in Nashville.

Welcome janet sounds like you have done well to be 12 yr out and only have gained 20 lbs. I am sure you'll get it back off. Do you still struggle with wanting the foods they don't want us to eat? I had my surgery 9-20-12 and there are days where i feel hungry all day and other days foods and smells of food make me nauseau. Does this ever go away? I bet with you and your husband both having changed your food plans it will be easier onyou not having to cook two kinds of meals. You sure lost alot of weight, congratulations to you how long did it take??did you have issues with sagging skin? I am dealing with "bat wings" arms and loose skin on stomach and upper legs, but not a bad trade off considering all the other benefits of weight loss.
Donna

I would also like to know the answers to Donnas question.....12 years out....I would love to know a future of what my life is to come.......and how does it work when you have a guy who eats beef for every meal (my hubby) when you get to eat nada hahaa.....I know we get to eat....just nervous about the cooking for him and my 2 lil ones....

Donna and Angee-Unless you are in the very early stages post surgery you really don't need to cook 2 completely different meals for you and the rest of the family. Once you are able to start eating "regular" foods again you can find common foods that can be enjoyed by everyone. The only differences will be that they can have carbs and you have to limit those to very small amounts plus you will be eating much smaller portions.

I'm almost 11 months out and decided to make turkey meatballs for dinner. When they were done I ate 3 small meatballs and was so full I gave the 4th one on my plate to the dog. I had no desire to fix egg noodles or rice to eat with the meatballs which is what I would have done pre-surgery. If you were to fix this meal for your families you would have added the noodles, rice or perhaps potatoes and a veggie and you would just skip the carbs or eat just a taste. Your meal preparation for your families can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it.

Janet-Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have an "old timer" on the site. I have a couple of questions. How long did it take you to lose your weight and do you find it difficult to stay away from the "forbidden" foods like pasta, rice, potatoes and sweets? I'mm 11 months out and my weight loss it at a standstill. I had a follow up with the surgeon and nutritionist 2 weeks ago. Both said it was "normal" to stop losing weight at this point and any subsequent weight loss would be very gradual, if at all. I find this difficult to believe since there are many people in this forum who have continued to lose weight and have lost over 200 lbs. in some cases. This is why I am asking you how long it took you to lose the amount of weight you have. By the way, I think you have done fantastic with your weight loss. Be proud of yourself :) :) :)

Back