• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My journey For "ME"

The day has come that I am embarking on a new journey....1 step at a time.
I have been reading so many genuine helpful advise on the American Bariatics Support Group, that I had to
join in. There are support groups being offered through my surgery center, but because of the distance and location
it is not going to be convenient for me to attend. I have been through my orientation, surgeon consultation, nutritionist, and scheduled for
exercise consultation, medical clearance and surgeon appointment for date of surgery. I have been approved by my insurance company for
the procedure, gastric sleeve. Boy...that is a lot of first steps!! I have a very supportive family and a fantastic network of friends. But they have not been through what I am going to be going through.

Now...I am scared, but know that this is the best thing since "Sliced Pie" as they say. LOL This seems like a very honest, eager to help, group that
when I come across a question I have the confidence to know that you are all out there with help. Thank you now just in case I forget to say so.

I fear my biggest problem to overcome is being my own best friend. I can be supportive in so many ways to others, but when it comes to me I can be
my own worst enemy. Another is exercising...I have never been an exercise person. I do like to walk, but of course I can always find an excuse not to.

The one exciting part of my surgery is that while the surgeon is doing the sleeve he will also be repairing my hiatal hernia (Diagnosed in 1987). I just am having a hard time realizing how much better I am going to feel with the weight gone and no acid reflux from hiatal hernia. Mobility will be much better and no more joint aches. I know I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, but in the long run it is going to be worth it. My orientation defined it by the triangle. The three points in the triangle are the surgical tool, moderation in eating, and exercise. I am practicing now to chew 20-30 times before swallowing. Water...How can I get 64 ounces of water in a day? I hear that you can only take 1 ounce every ten minutes after surgery and not with meals. Should I start trying that now? Maybe if I did that I would not be in the bathroom all the time!! LOL

So much to think of and here I go getting overwhelmed. I talked myself right into it!!

Dear 1stepatatime, Welcome to the forum. You have landed in the right place.
Yes, you will have to make exercise a life long habit. Why is it that you don't like to exercise? Is it because it's uncomfortable? Well, everyone that I have talked with, including this forum, say that once the weight starts coming off and the the joint pain is relieved, etc. exercise becomes a lot easier. I approach it like physical therapy. If you've ever had physical therapy for an injury or surgery, they start you out slowly, maybe just do 10 repetitions of something with 2 pound weights. They slowly increase your activity with higher and higher weights, and before you know it, you have reached your goal doing just baby steps.
Also, your mental attitude towards food has to change if you are to be successful. There is a reason "we" in this community weigh 100, 150, 200 or more pounds over normal people. Why do we overeat? If those issues aren't resolved, the surgery won't be the magic bullet. It might get you there, but it's up to you to maintain.
And yes, you should practice NOW eating slowly, not drinking with meals, drinking 64 ounces of fluid a day. You should also start journaling your food intake so you can see what your triggers are and where you need to make changes.
At first I was upset that I had to wait so long to get through all the preliminary stuff, but now I think it's a good thing to slow down, think, talk with others, and plan for the future.
I wish you all the success in the world.

Thank you Karenina, I will take all that you have advised into consideration. I have an appointment with exercise consultant the end of October and I am sure that a routine will be made to fit my lifestyle for the long run. I totally agree with you on the eating habits with the mental attitudes. I have MyFitnessPlan app already in use, which I think is great. Easy to use and very helpful tool. In orientation they told us you must have a "PLAN". I am working on that now.

I too wish you the best and look forward to sharing our experiences.

Hello, 1Step,

And Congratulations on wanting a better quality of life, and going for it with Weight Loss Surgery.

What a great idea, to start Now learning how to get in your fluids, learning not to drink with meals, learning to patient with yourself and with your food, and learning to chew, chew, chew. And journaling is a practice you can start now and continue after your wls. It, too, will help you get in your protein and your fluids.

This is the first time I've heard wls success put like that: a triangle - the surgial tool, moderation in food, and exercise. What a terrific analogy! I can envision it, just as clear as anything. It's an image I can relate to; it will serve me well. Thank you for giving it.

Sounds like you have been doing lots of thinking, lots of self-examination in preparation for this. You're gonna be a star!

Thank you so much for all your support, Qaterra. It was nice of you to share your thoughts with me. I see that you don't have your surgery date as of yet. I hope that we might share all our ups and down through this WLS. The very best to you!!

Hi 1StepAtATime, Welcome. You have a wonderful attatude, you will do great. It is fantastic that you like to walk because that will be good exercise and you don't have to join a gym to do it, but you can if you want, I find it helps to be around others who are also on the same mission we are, to get healthy:D Once you start walking and start feeling lighter on your feet you will find you have more energy and you will look forward to your daily walks. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Thank you so much Tom. It is people like you that give us the encouragment. I do like to walk and I have just walked all morning with our 2 year old granddaughter. She loves to take her baby for a walk. Since we live on the Big Rivera, that's what our granddaughter calls it....Saint Clair River in Michigan, we go to town and walk by the water. On a day like it has been today a little windy but sunny and enjoyable. We even decided to take the ferry across to Canada. Once across we walked the little town of Sombra in Canada, then back on ferry to USA. Had lunch at the local restaurant and walk back to car. I would probably quess that we walked a slow pace of 90 minutes The other time it was sitting with granddaughter watching the water and riding ferry.

Wow 1step, sounds like you had a wonderful day. I'm envious.
It's good to practice the chewing and the water intake. I have
been doing that for almost three months now and between that
and cutting out all flour and most sugar (check out the "Wheat
Belly book") I have lost 21lbs. It wasn't easy at first but it does get
easier. I still have a craving for sweets now and again, and I
grab a spoonful of Nutella when that happens. I wish they made
a sugar free variety.

Back