• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nervous and excited need encouragement!

Nymiria

Ok friends! It's here! Surgery is on Wednesday. Tuesday is bowel prep day (woohoo!)!
I'm freaking out. I have a blood clot disorder and guess what I'm scared of?! A freaking post surgery blood clot. I have 4 kids and I keep thinking about their sweet little faces and what would happen if I died and just all of that kind of terrible anxiety stuff.
I will be on blood thinner injections for the week or 2 after the surgery....but I just need those last pushes of encouragement and prayers and cheerleading before Wednesday. Cause I'm FREAKING OUT!

Looks like your team is listening and prepared for problems. I had blood clot injections in 2005 after hit by semi on my motorcycle. Went through a lot of surgeries but I am good now. The hip replacement surgery this past fall was a long term effect from that accident. Take deep breaths remind yourself that with four kids you can do this. You are a champion.

Ok friends! It's here! Surgery is on Wednesday. Tuesday is bowel prep day (woohoo!)!
I'm freaking out. I have a blood clot disorder and guess what I'm scared of?! A freaking post surgery blood clot. I have 4 kids and I keep thinking about their sweet little faces and what would happen if I died and just all of that kind of terrible anxiety stuff.
I will be on blood thinner injections for the week or 2 after the surgery....but I just need those last pushes of encouragement and prayers and cheerleading before Wednesday. Cause I'm FREAKING OUT!
Awww sweetie you are so close. There are a couple helpful posts below in the Resources section that might help, giving another member's surgery/hospital experience. You will be in good, experienced hands, and your family will benefit so much from your new healthier lifestyle. Better mom, better wife, better life! Lol We will be thinking of you and sending positive energy for safe surgery and quick painfree healing afterwards. ❤❤

It’s perfectly normal to be scared right before surgery. I cried a lot the day and night before my surgery. I was so afraid of dying. I never had surgery’s before, so I was so scared. I thought about doing a video message to say goodbye “just in case” but I couldn’t do it. When my surgeon saw me on the morning of surgery and asked “how are you” I told him everything that I was afraid of. How I worried that because of my age (54) and hypertension that I would have a heart attack during the procedure and die. He assured me it would not happen and explained how the highly experienced team would be watching over EVERY aspect of me (heart rate, oxygen levels, etc). So go ahead and share your fears and worries when you see your surgeon and the nurse. They are really good at making you feel comfortable and confident. You will be in very good hands.

Awww sweetie you are so close. There are a couple helpful posts below in the Resources section that might help, giving another member's surgery/hospital experience. You will be in good, experienced hands, and your family will benefit so much from your new healthier lifestyle. Better mom, better wife, better life! Lol We will be thinking of you and sending positive energy for safe surgery and quick painfree healing afterwards. ❤❤
Thank you!

It’s perfectly normal to be scared right before surgery. I cried a lot the day and night before my surgery. I was so afraid of dying. I never had surgery’s before, so I was so scared. I thought about doing a video message to say goodbye “just in case” but I couldn’t do it. When my surgeon saw me on the morning of surgery and asked “how are you” I told him everything that I was afraid of. How I worried that because of my age (54) and hypertension that I would have a heart attack during the procedure and die. He assured me it would not happen and explained how the highly experienced team would be watching over EVERY aspect of me (heart rate, oxygen levels, etc). So go ahead and share your fears and worries when you see your surgeon and the nurse. They are really good at making you feel comfortable and confident. You will be in very good hands.
Thank you I will tell him! Thank you so much

My mother also has a clotting disorder and she has had more surgeries than I care to think about. She always does well with the shots. They will go over step by step what you need to do to prevent a blood clot. My mom has a whole process they go through with different meds, etc. you have done so well up to this point with your pre-op diet. You have laughed, cried, yelled… all the good emotions! Now it’s time to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. You are ready and you’ve got this!

My mother also has a clotting disorder and she has had more surgeries than I care to think about. She always does well with the shots. They will go over step by step what you need to do to prevent a blood clot. My mom has a whole process they go through with different meds, etc. you have done so well up to this point with your pre-op diet. You have laughed, cried, yelled… all the good emotions! Now it’s time to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. You are ready and you’ve got this!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Thank you! Thanks for sharing about you mom

Thinking of you!! I was also deemed slightly higher risk for blood clots related to a clotting autoimmune disease I had during pregnancies. As a result, I have been taking 2 weeks of post-op lovenox self-injections. It's going just fine. Some I don't feel at all and a couple of been a bit of pinch or sting, but it goes away quickly. I've done them all in my lower belly and you can expect some bruising from that, which is normal. The nurse in the hospital gave my first one to me in the back of my arm, but I can't do it there. I've got three more to go. You've got this!! Something else I didn't expect but will share with you in case it applies. I have been pre-diabetic for a number of years. They took my blood glucose in the pre-op prep area and it was 84...normal! Of course, that was after a liquid diet so it didn't really surprise me. However, they tested my blood glucose after surgery and it was something like 170!!! They gave me an insulin shot and checked it every 4 hours as it came back down steadily. They told me that was normal for a lot of people to have a spike like that from anesthesia and other meds given during surgery. So if that happens to you, too, they said it was normal and not to be concerned.

Best wishes!!

Thinking of you!! I was also deemed slightly higher risk for blood clots related to a clotting autoimmune disease I had during pregnancies. As a result, I have been taking 2 weeks of post-op lovenox self-injections. It's going just fine. Some I don't feel at all and a couple of been a bit of pinch or sting, but it goes away quickly. I've done them all in my lower belly and you can expect some bruising from that, which is normal. The nurse in the hospital gave my first one to me in the back of my arm, but I can't do it there. I've got three more to go. You've got this!! Something else I didn't expect but will share with you in case it applies. I have been pre-diabetic for a number of years. They took my blood glucose in the pre-op prep area and it was 84...normal! Of course, that was after a liquid diet so it didn't really surprise me. However, they tested my blood glucose after surgery and it was something like 170!!! They gave me an insulin shot and checked it every 4 hours as it came back down steadily. They told me that was normal for a lot of people to have a spike like that from anesthesia and other meds given during surgery. So if that happens to you, too, they said it was normal and not to be concerned.

Best wishes!!
That;s great advice! I will also be on the lovenox injections and am not looking forward to those guys but It is encouraging to hear from you and that we have a similar situation! Yes - i'm also pre-diabetic so i'm interested to see what happens with my numbers! That's craziness! So glad you are recovering and I hope it's going well!

Omg 1 more day and you will be in recovery, ready to join us on the "loser's bench" lol. Can you believe it's almost here? I have so enjoyed your posts as you've journeyed through ups and downs. I am so excited for you. Best wishes and lots of prayers for you and for your surgical team. ❤❤❤❤

the likelihood of a blood clot is greater right now than it will be post-operatively. don't worry be happy.

Good morning Nymiria, 1day post op, you have been on my mind and I am hoping you are doing well.❤❤
Hey Everyone! Just got back home from hospital! Doing well so far but good grief it hurts more than I thought it would! There is a gnawing burning pain inside my stomach and the ports all hurt if I breathe in deep, cough or twist. Drs were worried for a second because all of my bloodwork kept coming up wonky for awhile and they couldn't sende home till the platelets were stabilized. Sent me home with lovenox Injections for 2 weeks too! Everyone was so nice too!

Oh yay woohoo you did it girl!!! Sorry about the pain & discomfort, but hopefully it will pass quickly (remembering you have 4 kiddos right?). Now besides healing, your main job is to sip, sip sip trying to reach 64ozs water, get that protein in, and walk walk walk bc movement will help with pain, healing, and making getting enough water & protein a little easier. Hugs sweetie ❤❤❤❤

Hey Everyone! Just got back home from hospital! Doing well so far but good grief it hurts more than I thought it would! There is a gnawing burning pain inside my stomach and the ports all hurt if I breathe in deep, cough or twist. Drs were worried for a second because all of my bloodwork kept coming up wonky for awhile and they couldn't sende home till the platelets were stabilized. Sent me home with lovenox Injections for 2 weeks too! Everyone was so nice too!
So thankful you are home and beginning your recovery to the new you!! I had a lot of pain with deep breathing too. I'm 2 weeks out and it is still a little sore on deep breaths in my chest/stomach cavity. The nurses thought it was gas, but I feel that it is just sore tissue that is healing. Get as much rest as possible and let your husband and little ones get you things you need. If you have a recliner, you may find it more comfortable to sleep there for a couple of nights as getting in and out of bed is difficult at first. I'm doing very well at 2 weeks out, much normalcy is in my routine, I have some minor abdominal discomfort with certain movements, I'm eating pureed and soft foods well. You'll be where I am before you know it. I always think that first week post op is the worst of it and then one feels leaps and bounds better each day.

So glad you made it home. Maybe you can finally rest. You were certainly in my mind yesterday. Sorry for your discomfort. Any surgery is rough but surgery in your stomach is a whole different animal I am sure. Lots of love and hugs to you.

Back