• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and need of support

:confused: Trying to figure this forum stuff out. Had gastric bypass in June of this year. Doing good, in spite of some set backs. I have had 6 endoscopy's done due to a stricture. And my bariatrics program closed at my hospital, so looking for new doctor and new support group. Since I am in the boonies, I don't have much to chose from. I have a long drive no matter where I go. Maybe this online support will help me? I just feel lost and frustrated. Any friends would be wonderful!!!

Hey! I am new at this too. I just had gastric sleeve done 2 weeks ago today. I, like you thought that maybe I could get some "buddies" on here.

You've come to the right place. Lots of friendly, supportive, knowledgeable and helpful people are on here. Welcome aboard.

Mary Christine
Welcome to the board. You'll find plenty of people that will be your friend, a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen with and experience to impart. Congrats on the outstanding weight loss.

Hi Mary, Welcome. This is a great place to come to for support. Sorry to hear you hospital left you high and dry, they should have written you a referal to another bariatric center to do all the follow up that we need after surgery, most primary care doctors aren't familliar with our needs and what blood work to do. I am glad to hear you are doing good, I hope that the stricture has been taken care of, there are others on the forum that have had the same problem, I was lucky and didn't have many setbacks. Let us know how things are going. :cool: Tom

Excellent weight loss, Mary Christine. And welcome to the forum to you, and jlcrimm also. Please stop by often.

Thank you Karenina. I see you had the same surgery in the same month as me. I credit the big weight loss to having the stricture. I have been on liquids for a looonggg time! Ugh! But as of last week I can start eating some foods. YAY!

Hello Mary Christine
Im new here to and just two weeks post op. Im trying to get through the early stages. I dont know what a stricture is but Im glad you are off liguids only that was really hard for me. I see my doctor tomorrow. I have so many questions I dont know where to begin. What are some really important questions I should ask at this point? Wow congrats on your weight loss! Ive lost 18 since Nov. 12

madehernew,

All your questions are important. Write them down and take them with you to your doctor's appointment.

And if you think of more later, write them down, too.

You can always ask here and someone may well have an answer. But your surgeon and her/his team are the experts on your particular program.

Congratulations on your wls and your journey to a brighter, lighter you!

hi MARYCHRISTINE
YOU'VE FOUND THE RIGHT PLACE TO MAKE FRIENDS WHOM SHARE THE SAME THINGS YOU'RE GOING THROUGH, SORRY YOU'VE HAD TO ENDURE SO MANY ENDOSCOPY'S , YOU'RE SO CLOSE TO YOUR GOAL WEIGHT I KNOW YOU MUST BE READY TO SCREAM HAVING HAD TO BE ON LIQUIDS FOR SO LONG. JUST TAKE IT SLOW WHEN YOU START WITH THE FOODS, SOME FOODS MAY NOT TASTE THE SAME AS BEFORE AND WHEN THEY TELL US TO "CHEW ALOT" TRUST ME IT'S FOR MY OWN GOOD CAUSE WHEN WE DON'T OR WE EAT TOO FAST , OH THE PAIN IT CAUSES IN YOUR CHEST IS REAL AND HURTS/ YOU'LL DO GOOD I AM SURE. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU WEIGHT LOSS THAT IS AWESOME, I HOPE YOU ARE HEALING WELL AND CAN ENJOY FOOD SOON. I ALSO LIVE IN ILLINOIS
DONNA

Hi Donna! Thanks for writing. Where in IL??? I am near Rockford, way up north. Do you know when you are having your surgery? Where are you going for it? ~ Mary

Donna, I don't know how to read I guess. I saw your profile as Surgery Date: UPCOMING. Later, after my reply I saw you HAD surgery. That explains too how you know about chewing and eating slow. LOL! I guess I just was not with it earlier. I have thrown up a couple of times from eating to fast. I seem to prefer super hot food now. Not something that was that big a deal before surgery. So to get it down while its hot, I eat to fast. I am learning!

So where in IL are you? Where did you have your surgery? I am trying to find a new bariatric doctor. My hospital closed their bariatric surgery department. Not good!

Back