• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and Old at the Same Time!

Hi!

I'm new here, but I'm not new to weight loss surgery. My own Roux En Y Gastric Bypass surgery was April 9, 2007. I just celebrated my fifth surgiversary!

It's a wild ride, it is a journey without destination (it never ends), it is not easy (more difficult in maintenance than in the losing weight period), but it is all so worth it. My life changed in so many ways, and all good.

If I can be of any help to anyone, please contact me.

Best regards,
Claire

Hi Claire, Welcome to the forum. You are doing great, you sure are right it is a life long journey that doesn't end. We talked about mantanence at my last support group meeting and what we need to work on to keep the weight off, my downfall is surgar-free icecream, I thought I could have it as a treat once in a while but it aint working, I won't be buying anymore. I look forward to hearing some of your chalanges along the way. :cool: Tom

Claire - Wow! Based on your stats you have done incredibly well! It looks like you are way under your goal weight!! Congratulations!!! I am four months post-op and am having a bad case of buyers remorse! I would love to hear more about your journey. I could really use the encouragement. I can't seem to hardly eat anything. Everything I try to eat makes me have an uncomfortable feeling in my upper stomach and chest. I try to eat slow and chew well, but no having much luck. Do you ever remember having this type of feeling? I seem to belch a lot and eating is just uncomfortable - not painful - just uncomfortable. I do get plenty of fluids but I'm afraid my food intake is way under what it should be. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Post often - would love to hear from someone who has been so successful!!

Hi Jgriffin. In my first year eating was very difficult to remember to do, and I could only eat small amounts at one time, I can eat a bit more now but my meals are considerd to be a snack for most folks that haven't had WLS. I try to stick to 5 meals a day, at first it was 2 oz meat and 1/4 cup cottage sheese or a 1 oz stick of cheese that would be one meal I would also make one or two of my meals a protien shake or protien bar with 20 to 25 grams of protien. You probably wont be able to eat more than a combined 1/2 cup of food at one sitting without feeling uncomfortable, I would often not be able to finish but that's ok too. The important thing is to make sure you are getting enough protien in my target was between 60 and 90 grams it was all I could do to get 60 grams the firts 6 months. Hang in there your doing a great job on your weight loss. :cool: Tom

Claire-Congratulations on your weight loss!!! I have lost over 90 lbs. but the scale is barely moving for the last few months. I'm happy that when it does move that it moves in the right direction. I am physically handicapped and can only do stretching exercises sitting down. I tried pool exercises but that didn't work out for me for numerous reasons. I also move around the house quite a bit using a walker and cane but have to use a wheelchair outside of the house for appointments, grocery shopping, etc. I'm planning on having hip replacement surgery within the next few months. Hopefully I will recover enough to get back to a more active lifestyle and work towards reaching my goal weight. I literally dream of the day I can go for a walk and do things without fear of falling down (again).

Looking forward to see you posting in the forum!!!

Back