• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New day Still hurt

Smh2014

Hello Had surgery on the 3rd of Jan. Any information to help me would be great. I was in hospital for 5 days....Had idea's of food to take but not how long it would take to finish one and get on to the next the next hour.... It seems I just ate and now I am to eat again....Or drink your 1 cup water....How do you get everything down and eaten within the time frame to do so, plus get some needed rest. Left side is so very sore. Had emergency back surgery e months before surgery. The back is healed but the left side, the main entry point is so very sore....Any ideas on how to help with pain. Do not want to take Oxi again.... I am taking Acetaminophen now...
Great to have this site there is no group close to where I live.....
Thank you all for any help you can give...

Hello Had surgery on the 3rd of Jan. Any information to help me would be great. I was in hospital for 5 days....Had idea's of food to take but not how long it would take to finish one and get on to the next the next hour.... It seems I just ate and now I am to eat again....Or drink your 1 cup water....How do you get everything down and eaten within the time frame to do so, plus get some needed rest. Left side is so very sore. Had emergency back surgery e months before surgery. The back is healed but the left side, the main entry point is so very sore....Any ideas on how to help with pain. Do not want to take Oxi again.... I am taking Acetaminophen now...

WELCOME to the forum :) I was also in the hospital a long while after surgery.. 7 days. It was because I just couldn't get enough liquids down and they kept me on an IV. I was so very full I just couldn't drink much at all. Everyone said to just sip, sip, sip but I just couldn't at first. I felt good, not much pain but they kept me til I could eat my jello and broth and drink better. I had to really work on the sipping though. When I got home I know I wasn't drinking all I should but I did my best and increased my liquids a little every day. Sorry youre having pain from your back operation. Hope you are feeling better very soon!!!

I see you don't want to take oxi's. Please don't be afraid. Why be in pain? I needed them usually at night for the first week. After that the pain had subsided quite a bit and then I did as you are doing taking Tylenols.

You are not going to get addicted or anything like that. Don't let pain get over a 5. It is not worth it. We all had the soreness especially the large incision. It does go away.

Sip sip sip is the key to fluid intake. And not a lot at any one time. Buy your sippy cup. Have it around all the time. fill it with water or juices or even Isopure.

Ralph

Hi, not sure what food you are eating, for me at this point is was full liquids. The best thing to do is concentrate on getting in your liquids and protein, as these help with the healing and recovery after surgery and are critical for weight loss. Very few people were able to get in all their liquids and proteins at first, it takes time, but you will get there. As for the pain, Ralph pretty well nailed it. Don't be in too much pain, as it will make it harder for you when you try to do anything. Make sure you are walking as much as possible.

Frank

:cool:

I don't understand why doctors prescribe such a strong pain killer. I was on the pain meds for the 2 days I was in the hospital, 1st day home and then every now and then when I over did it.

My meal plan was 2 weeks liquid, 1 week puree and then soft foods then adding in slowly.

I don't understand why doctors prescribe such a strong pain killer. I was on the pain meds for the 2 days I was in the hospital, 1st day home and then every now and then when I over did it.

My meal plan was 2 weeks liquid, 1 week puree and then soft foods then adding in slowly.

Hi,

If your pain is between 5 to 10 on the scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being terrible pain and 1 being no pain.

The doctor wants you to relieve your pain as much as possible. I never had to take oxi's every 4 to 6 hours as the Rx allowed, but I did take it whenever I felt the pain number getting over 5. You need to walk. You need to be mobile. You need to get up and around. Pain impedes all of these efforts. So, taking the oxi to control your pain before it gets out of control is critical to a good recovery.

That is why they do it.

I completely understand the need for pain management but to prescribe someone oxi's when there are different medications like liquid loratab that are not as strong or dangerous.

I think its ridiculous as a nation to lean on pain killers the way that we do. 15 years ago you were sent home with Tylenol when you broke your arm and instructions to elevate it but now you are sent home with a script of vicodine. Its no wonder that prescription medications are the most abused.

I know it seems overwhelming right now, but your job right now is to get your rest, exercise a little, hydrate, and attempt to get 60 gms of protein in. That's all you need to concentrate on for now. It will get more manageable as time goes on.

Thank you your help....I am trying to sip a lot of water but now my body core temp. is in the 96.7 I talked to my Dr. and she said go slower about water. Hope that helps.

What is Isopure...Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Prote...&qid=1389961426&sr=8-1&keywords=isopure+grape

Here you go a complete description of Isopure grape protein drink.

As one other has said here before you buy in bulk as I am doing, try it. You can get small quantities at many different stores such as GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or even drug stores. Once you decide you like it you can buy in bulk from amazon to get a good price. If not, then try something else.

Ralph

Congratulations on your surgery! While reading these posts, please remember that everyone is different. Yes, some people are "over it" in a couple of days, but you had a five day hospital stay. You've had major surgery and a tough recovery. Your doctor prescribes what he or she feels you need and you should not be afraid to use the tools at hand. This surgery is a tool to help you lose weight and become healthy again. Pain medication is a tool to help you combat pain and help you move, which is crucial to success. Moving will help reduce pain over time. I, personally, am allergic to Tylenol and most pain medications (lortab, vicodin, percocet, oxycodone) are mixed with Tylenol. My doctor prescribes Oxycontin (not mixed with tylenol) and in appropriate doses for whatever is going on. He knows my allergies and is not a drug pusher. Neither is yours. Faith and trust in your surgeon is important. That is the person you should listen to when it comes to medical decisions. Well, your doctor and your common sense, lol. I remember right after surgery I was obsessive about writing down every sip of everything I consumed and got all wrapped up in tracking things. I lightened up after three weeks because it was just too much. Letting go and just drinking what I could, careful to try my best to get my protein and knowing that if I didn't, tomorrow was another day. I'm 8 years out and have maintained my weight loss successfully. I think the obsessive-ness of the early days helped set me up for success, though. To this day I think about protein grams before I eat or drink anything and focus on "protein first". You'll get there, I have no doubt!

Back