• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here ,but 6yrs out!

broyerkdb

Hi, i am new here. i had rny at st. francis hospital in trenton nj in 2006. i had a rough time as i had a staple lift the first night i was home and ended up in icu for a week. initially i lost 100lbs but have gained around 40lbs back. i do not live a lifestyle conducive to a healthy weight loss program. i have consistently worked 12-20 hrs a day since being released to work. Anyway , my biggest hurdle lies in the night time when i am driving for 8 hrs at a clip. i seriously need energy and start craving carbs and sugar.i am up 20hrs a day most of the time. i do drink shakes but i am very strapped for cash cash right now and very stressed . i am gaining weight. i cannot go to the gym right now as i had a car accident on aug 26 and have some herniation and bulging disks in both the lumbar and and the cervical spine. i can't even afford my nutritionist right now ,i guess what i am doing is looking for someone to give some advice and maybe some direction.

Welcome to the forum. The only advice I can give you is to give up carbs completely, the way an alcoholic gives up alcohol, or the way the smoker gives up cigarettes.
Your lifestyle seems to be getting in the way of your goals, so unless getting back on track becomes a priority, I don't know what else to say.

for the most part i try to stay away from them , but when i get extremely tired i start craving them.right now i am doing a LPT for a week! it drains more energy than i can produce!

for the most part i try to stay away from them , but when i get extremely tired i start craving them.right now i am doing a LPT for a week! it drains more energy than i can produce!

BROYERKDB-Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do is make as many adjustments to your lifestyle to allow yourself to sleep more than you do now. Lack of sleep can cause weight gain and make losing weight more difficult. Assuming you had the gastric bypass you need to avoid foods high in fat, sugar and carbs. Focus on lean proteins then veggies. Get at least 60 grams of protein daily. Eat 5 small meals daily instead of 3 larger meals and divide your protein up so you get no more than 20 grams per meal since your body can't absorb more than that per meal. You may also consider trying the 5 day pouch test to help get you back on track. Here is the link http://www.americanbariatrics.org/content.php/80-Roux-en-Y-Gastric-Bypass-5-Day-Pouch-Test

If your surgeon's office does not have a support group you can still attend you could check the Internet for a local bariatric surgery support group near you. Most are free and usually have a bariatric nutritionist present to answer questions. Seeing you are 6 years out it may be difficult to join the support group from where you had your surgery but there are plenty more around, you just have to spend a little time looking.

I can relate to your inability to exercise on a regular basis since I am in a wheelchair. I need a total hip replacement and also have back problems (2 surgeries for spinal stenosis) and nerve damage in my legs that is related to my back problems. I do manage to do stretching exercises with resistance bands most days. I do these sitting on the side of my bed or in a chair and they really help me stay more flexible.

Good luck and make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Hi,

Well, I'm 5 years out and I know your pain. Literally - because I have 6 discs with similar problems. I thought of two things - especially when you said you were tired. When was the last time you had your blood levels tested? Low Iron and B12 can knock you on your butt. Low D can cause muscle pain. I know of what I speak because I had all that and now I need iron infusions. Are you taking vits? Also I'm sure your on pain meds of some type they can mask a lot of stuff.

Hope this helps.

Deb

Welcome to our group of great people. I have not had my surgery yet, but I understand the losing weight and gaining it back because of losing control. We all know it is a head game that we play with ourselves. I can't help but hear through your words that you are lost. Operating on only 4 hours of sleep has a concern that needs your attention. Remember if you are not at your best, whatever you are doing that requires 12-20 hour days is not getting your best. Your thought pattern is jeopardizes. You are playing a catch 22. Stop and smell the flowers to help you over this hurdle. My heart goes out to you and hope that what everyone is saying will help find you some peace. Please keep us posted as your journey continues. Take care of "YOU". Pat yourself on the back, because you have reached out for help.

Back