• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here- just starting my journey

hmc1018

Hi everyone my name is Heather and I am 22 years old. I live in Massachusetts and am just starting my WLS journey. I am attending my first information session on Tuesday and from there will make my first appointment with the surgeon. My insurance company has already told me they will pay for whichever surgery I decide to have so I am lucky to not have to worry about that. I am very excited about this as I have been overweight my whole life and no amount of dieting and exercise has helped me. I have diabetes(am on insulin at this point), high blood pressure and cholesterol, and cant walk very far without getting very out of breath. I am hoping that weight loss will help some of these problems. Thanks in advance for the welcome!

hmc,

Welcome to the Forum. Wishing you the best as you continue on this journey after making the decision. You are starting at the right place, the informational seminar is the place to start along with internet searches and support groups. It always helps to have someone who has gone before you. This Forum is a great place to obtain information and support but you will also be advised to follow your specific program. Your ability to exercise, breathe better, and get healthy should improve after surgery. Some people report the ability to completely go off insulin after surgery. That doesn't necessarily include everyone - it depends on pancreatic function but the reports have been unbelievable. At least some report a decrease in dosage. So glad you have decided on this path. Again, welcome, and come back often with questions and keep us posted on how you are doing. Joy

Hi Heather, welcome to the board. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this board. WLS is a tool and if you use it properly, you will lose weight and you will get healthier. I've lost a significant amount of weight so far and I'm actually running again, which is something I haven't been able to do in 15 years. Now I walk up four flights of stairs and can walk 6+ miles without problems. The big thing to remember is that everyone's journey is different and you should not rate your success on how others did. Good luck to you.

Frank

:cool:

Good morning and welcome to the group :) ..... I found my first information meeting very useful and helped answer some of the questions my boyfriend and I had regarding the surgery, he came with me as it's always good to have someone that is going to be going through it with you so to speak there is possible. It put alot of questions he had in his mind at ease, I have been researching the procedure since 2009 just finally getting up the nerve to do it. Looking forward to reading about your journey ..... Kristin :)

Hi, Heather! Welcome! I am so thrilled for you as you begin your new journey! Please stop by often, and let us know how you are coming with the process.

Welcome. Congratulations on what will be a life changing experience. Each step will bring you greater knowledge about the journey you have decided to undertake. Come back often to ask questions and get support. You will not only be helping yourself, but those further alone in their journey. We can never forget the gifts wls has brought into our life.

welcome hmc, there is a lot to do as far as requirements, be prepared for the wait. that is what I am going through right now. I just joined the site also. everyone here is very encouraging because I am getting frustrated a little after 4 months of doc visits and paperwork! BUT I KNOW IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!!!! so for now we will wait together and we shall encourage one another! ;) xo

Back