• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here old gastric bypass

Tara

Hi all I am new and just need to talk, to have some input how to get off the sugar. It will be 11 years and I have gained 15 lbs. Iknow it's all sugar but I can't seem to get off it. I don't eat meat or very little, I love cheese hate fat free or low fat cheese. Enjoy most veggies but need something wet to go with them. I have tried the shakes and I can't find one hight in protein and taste good.

I believe I am doing something right to be so far out and have not gain all my wt back but I could and would love any help that anyone is willing to share.

I am a Christian, or should I say God's not done with me. Blessing to all

Tara-although I have not had my surgery yet I can offer some help about the sugar issue. I am diabetic and had to kick my sugar habit a few years ago. Eating 1 or 2 small pieces of fruit a day helped me from craving other sugary snacks. It takes a few days to adjust but it really works. Maybe you could contact a bariatric dietician regarding a good tasting protein drink. There are so many on the market now you should be able to find one that suits your tastes.

Thank you

Thank you so much for your reply. I would love to see someone about a good drink but because I have my bypass in another state I don't have anyone that will see me without doing a full visit and I don't believe my insurance covers it. I will continue to check my message here in hopes someone will send a reply, so far you are the only one that has replied. Have a blessed Sunday..

Tara-Most medical insurance covers dietitian visits. Ask your primary care physycian to write a work order if your insurance requires one. A bariatric dietician can evaluate your situation and make recommendations for a good tasting protein drink. It shouldn't matter if your surgery was done in another state. It won't cost you anything to call your insurance and ask the question. I mentioned in my initial comment that I haven't had my surgery yet but I keep in contact with my coordinator at the surgeon's office. Fom what she has told me I will be seeing the dietitian, not the surgeon, to address all diet related issues. I have read in other bariatric forums that some people use sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast after the first few months of surgery. It tastes good and comes in a lot of flavors. But if you have nutritional concerns your best bet is to see a dietitian.

I really enjoyed reading your post. Congratulations on your success! Exciting, isn't it?

The drinks I have settled on are 1) liquid - Premier Protein. It has 30g protein in an 11 oz shake. It's thick and tastes sweet to me. I use it to mask liquid potassium I have to take daily and 2) powder - the Walmart brand. I don't remember the name of it...I put it in another container....the one it comes in is HUGE so I break it down into 2 small ones. My daughter is telling me right now it's name is "Johnson" but I dunno. It costs about $15 for the large container. It comes in chocolate and vanilla, as does the liquid. It too has something ike 30g...maybe it's 26g.

Lemme know what you think if you try one.

Be safe.

Letrell

Back