• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here

Superstar

Hello Everyone,
I am new here and I was so happy to find this. I truely wish I would have been told about this site a long time ago because I have been dealing with this alone for such a long time. Almost a year now. I am 46 and a mother of 2. Both of my children are grown and I have two grand-children :D. My biggest goal is to be able to take my grandbabies to the park, play with them and to live long enough to watch them grow up! I will be having my surgery on November 26 and my emotions are on overload atm. I am scared I am going to forget something or do something wrong before or after the surgery. I really have not been given that much information untill just last week and it was like boom all thrown at me at once. Now I feel so lost. I spent the past 3 days doing nothing but reading and I am trying to put a binder together because I am a information kind of person and like to be organized and have things all in steps. lol I know that sounds really crazy but I need it in plain english, step one take vitamins, step two exercise. Sighs.... I did go to the library today and found some books I am going to start on tomorrow but I really wish they would have given me more information before now. And I am mad at myself for not getting more prepared for this. I know this is what I want, and I have been working so hard to get where I am now and had so many things happen. Once day its all approved and next day no its not, next day you need to do this and with all this going on just didnt think about anything else. So now I have 3 weeks to get my head straight, make a binder, and make a daily to do list. If anyone has any advice or links you would like to share with me :) my email is 42superstar@gmail.com I am excited, scrared, nervous, and a million other feelings atm, I have been waiting for this new life change for such a long time and now its going to happen I just want to know I have everything in order when I walk threw that door of the hospital on the 26. :(
Thank you ahead for listening and any advice you may have to share with me

Welcome, superstar. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and energy to the process already. I don't have my date yet, but I understand what you mean about not getting a lot of information before (from the surgeon's office). After I finish all pre-op requirements and get insurance approval THEN they will give me the big binder of what I need to do for the rest of my life. Seems a little backwards. But there is a lot of information on forums like this and other places. Good luck to you. You will do fine!

Hi and welcome to the site. You'll find lots of help here. As for what you are going through, it is daunting, but well worth it. Being excited, scared, nervous along with other emotions is normal. The dietician and your surgeons office should have an eating plan already set up for you, liquids to pureed food to soft foods to introducing regular food. That should help immensely. Check with your surgeon for when you can exercise, beyond walking that is. Be sure to follow their instructions carefully and you'll be fine. Good Luck and let us know how it's going.

Thank you both very much, :) Today is a new day and I feel a lot better. Going to work on getting things organized and make a gro. List. One for before and one for after. Right now I am doing 3 drinks and one meal a day. In a week I start the 5 drinks a day. One of the things I am having a very hard time with is finding drinks with high protien. Not sure if im looking in the wrong place or what. I guess I need some clear protien drinks as well. I did find one but wow it was soooo expensive! There has to be something somewhere that isnt so much. Any suggestions to add to my gro. list and drinks to try, or where to get it. I live in a small town so my options are not great...walmart, dollar store and walgreens....sad I know. But Thursday I am going to a town thats a little bigger so maybe i can find something there. Thanks a lot hope everyone has a awesome day, Many blessings to you all! Going to go make me some jello...yummmmm

Welcome, Superstar,

And Congratulations on your upcoming wls!

It sounds like you have given this much thought. It also sounds like you have questions. This is a terrific place to ask them. So, ask! lol

The most common problem I hear from people right after surgery is how difficult it is to get in all your fluids and protein. It isn't too early to start practicing to sip, sip, sip from the time you get up in the morning until the time you go to bed at night. Your new tiny tummy won't be able to hold much at any one time, and it will be angry and trying to heal. So you must help it by giving your body the protein and fluids it needs for healing.

I'm glad you found our way here. Lots of friendly people and support. And most here have already had their surgeries and can answer your questions from a been-there, done-that perspective.

You're gonna do great!

One of the things I am having a very hard time with is finding drinks with high protien. Not sure if im looking in the wrong place or what. I guess I need some clear protien drinks as well. I did find one but wow it was soooo expensive! There has to be something somewhere that isnt so much. Any suggestions to add to my gro. list and drinks to try, or where to get it. I live in a small town so my options are not great...walmart, dollar store and walgreens....sad I know. But Thursday I am going to a town thats a little bigger so maybe i can find something there.

For variety, your best bet is online. Amazon is where I usually look first and they often have the best price. You can always purchase elsewhere if you find a better price, but Amazon carries so many different items, it's always a good place to start. Other online retailers I can recommend, in no particular order, are VitaCost, Netrition, SupplementWarehouse, Swanson's, Drugstore.

Your surgeon/nutritionist should have protein drink recommendations for you.

Don't worry too much about your clear protein needs or their cost. They are only for a very short time.

Your tastes will likely change after surgery, so don't stock up on anything now, only to discover you don't care for it later. Many sites will offer you samples. Vitalady offers many samples. Syntrax offers samples of their Nectar line (fruit flavors). There are many others.

Have fun!

awwww you are so awesome Qaterra!!! Thank you so very much! sip sip sipping my chicken broth now while I am googling the places you told me about. :)

Greetings, Superstar-
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!!! I have just a couple more requirements to do and then I should hear a date. They say either the end of December or early January. I am hoping for December as I just want to get it done! I have been getting sample packets from online-Nashua Nutrition, and Unjury. Unjury I got their unflavored protein powder which you can put in anything-only it is to be under 130 degrees. I have their Protein chicken broth in sample packets. Tastes change so I don't want to load up on any one thing right now-I just want to have things to work with for afterward. They actually have protein jello out there-which is good. I am considering taking the protein shots out there (yes, they have them in Walmart as well) , halving them and then freezing them for protein based popsicles.
My husband will also make me some chicken broth soup from scratch-or vegetable broth soup and I will let it cool to right below the 130 degree mark and then put in the protein powder.
Once I get by the clear liquid stage there is more to work with.

Carol

Superstar-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. Yes, the information can be overwhelming, especially when everything is thrown at you all at once and so close to your surgery date. I think if you take your time and read it over and over it will sink in and "stick". My surgery was on 2/27/12 and I still find myself referencing my instructions. You also have a wealth of experience at your fingertips. You can, and should, call your nutritionist as often as necessary to ask questions and to clarify anything you may not understand yet. In addition you have all of us here in the forum to help you :)

The protein drinks can be expensive but you get what you pay for. Instead of looking at the individual cost of everything consider what you used to spend on groceries and compare that to what you will be spending after surgery. Even with the high cost of our "specialty" foods you won't be spending any more than you were before and more than likely it will be less. Walmart carries a brand of low carb high protein pre-made drink called EAS CarbAdvantage. It tastes real good and runs around $4.50 for a 4 pack. Costco and Sam's club carry a low carb high protein pre-made shake called Premier which comes in a bulk pack but the individual cost per drink works out about the same as the EAS brand. But it's much higher in protein than EAS so you get more "bang for your buck". Whatever you decide to buy just make sure you are getting the low carb version. Also, some people find their tastes change after surgery so don't stock up too much until you're sure you still like the way things taste. There is a brand of protein powder made by Unjury that is also excellent. You can buy these from their website unjury.com (see link below) and some surgeons also carry it in their offices. There are only a few flavors and an unflavored powder available. They also carry a chicken flavored protein powder that a lot of people like but I don't care for it at all. I don't like their protein cheese sauce either but a lot of people are just crazy about it. I have ordered the chocolate splendor, vanilla and strawberry sorbet and found them all to be excellent.

http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/

Last edited:
Thank you Pat and Carol this information you shared with me really helps. At least now I know where to start looking. This is so hard, I am allowed one meal a day right now but in 6 more days I start the 5 drinks and nothing to eat and will have to do that for 2 weeks. Wow I am hungry alllll the time. at first I dropped 10 pds but now it stopped and if I dont loose more in the next few weeks the surgery is off. What more can you do besides not eatting. :( We dont have a Sam's any where close by I dont think but I will google and find out. I have not gotten anything yet because I want to make sure I get the right things. Well I do have a load of jello lol and frozen suger free popcicles. But right now thats it. Going shopping tomorrow. I have been checking out this sites everyone is sharing with me and that is helping me loads. At least now I know where to start looking. I look forward to the day I can look back on all this and be able to say to someone I know just how you feel because I felt the same way. :) Thank you all so much for your support. There is no place close by that has any kind of group meetings so this is helping me a lot. Many Blessings to you all.

hello

hello from ky. HAD MY DONE ON AUG6,2012 DOWN 42 LBS WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER. I WENT TO NASHVILLE TO HAVE MINE DONE. YOU WILL GET LIST OF FOOD AND HOW TO FIX AND EAT,OR DRINK. JUST BE SURE TO GET IN YOUR PROTEIN. WALMART HAS A WHEY STRAWBERRY PROTEIN THAT IS GOOD WHEN I BLEND IT I ADD A FEW FROZEN STRAWBERRYS AND IT IS SUPER. i ALSO MAKE A HOT CUP. OF CHOCOLATE USING ONE SCOOP PROTEIN AND 1/2 PKG OF SUGER FREE HOT COCO MIX IN 6OZ OF SKIN MILK . WHERE IN KY ARE YOU.GOOD LUCK

Superstar, If you are sticking to the 1 meal per day and not overindulging, then I recommend walking. Walk as far as you can each day. That will help burn off calories and continue the weight loss. When I was on the Liver Diet, 4 shakes a day for me, I never really felt hungry. Whenever I ask why am I doing this, I take out the picture of my 5 year old grandson and I remember why. Find your special reason and use it whenever you start to feel depressed or tempted to cheat. Let us know how things are going.

Hey Sheila, I will be having the surgery in Louisville, Ky. I have Whey Chocolate Peanut butter and not so great. I will try the strawberry next, thx. And that Hot Chocolate sounds good to, but when you say one scoop of protein is that with the Whey? Thx bunches I am not able to do much on the exercise area because I have some serious back issues and cant stay on my feet for very long but I am going to try some exercises from the chair tomorrow. thx fkrebs getting pics of grandbabies out now :)

What hospital in Louisville? I lived there in my younger days. My son was born at what used to be called Louisville General Hospital-I see it is now called University of Lousiville Hospital. I used to live off old 3rd Street road not far from churchill downs.

What hospital are you having it at?

Carol

Its at the Baptist Hospital. I do not know to much about the area I do not go there to often. I live in a town not far from it but I dont get out to much. That is getting ready to change!!!!!!!! I have lost 3 more pounds!!! I so look forward to getting under 300, I see you have lost quiet a bit wtg! I just want to thank everyone for their information and support. You have all helped me so much. I have told all my friends about this site and how great it is to be able to talk to so many ppl that understand exactly how I feel and hopefully one day I will be able to do the same thing back for someone else. Have a awesome day :)

Baptist is a good hospital. You will do well-just follow your team's instructions to the letter as there is always a reason for it. Make sure you write down any questions to ask them when you see them. They are there for you.

Carol

Thanks Carol I will do that. Working on my list of to do's and ?'s. I start my 5 drinks a day monday with no food, I am so not looking forward to that. Have to do it for two weeks. But the good thing is my dr. took me off my diabetic meds. Yay! Have a great day!

Back