• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new here

nikkie316

hello everyone i am new to this site! I am almost 2 yrs. out and am going throuh a very emotional time right now because i cant lose anymore weight! and I feel fat! i dont feel like i look good at all! and I am always telling people i am fat and everyone is getting sick of hearing it! will i ever feel better about myself! I should!!! I have worked very hard to get here and i look way better than i did! and I feel like a new person physically! do any of you out there feel this way!?

Hi my name is Jenny! I am scheduled for surgery on 1/20. I can tell you that even though I have not had it done yet my weekly weigh ins are getting to me! I feel like I have hit a wall. I can some what relate! maybe you should see your doc make sure there is nothing else going on! it will get better try to stay positive! Jenny

Hello. I had the lap band procedure on 11/08/2011. The holidays have been difficult. Thanksgiving was a bit easier to handle. Christmas was very difficult with all the goodies at work, get togethers, and food days. I started at 200 and am at 174. I had one fill and noticed a difference the next day. Now, I have a problem with trying to get the extras out of site and out of mind. I feel fat too. You do need to remember where you were and where you are now in this journey. I am trying too. I think this support site will help all of us. Yes, you are better physcially! Once these holidays are gone past and the extras are out of site/mind it will be easier to feel better.

Hi Nikkie316.Welcome! I am Tom. We are both about the same distance along. You are doing great! You have lost 14 lbs thats wonderful! You are not alone with feelings of fat still I am down to 190 from 310 in March of 2010, I plattued for a while and I am back to losing 1 to 3 pounds a month and I still look in the mirror and feel fat but all I have to do is look at an old photo or an old pair of pants and shirt that I kept and I feel better, they are tents on me now. I don't drop the pounds as quick, but just remember that we can and will get down to our goal weight. Stick with the excersise and meal plan and keep up on the protien, I still have a shake three or four times a week just because they are low calorie and high protien. Keep attending support groups especially if you start getting discouraged. Keep up the great work. :cool: Tom

Hi Nikkie: I will have the BPD/DS surgery soon...waiting for the date...but I admire you and congratulate you for being 2 yrs. POST--and doing so well with the weight loss and physical appearance! How difficult was it to give up the foods you loved/craved? I am stressed over that, and the strict eating regimen I will have after the surgery...any encouraging words?~BAB

Last edited:
Tom...congratulations on all your weight lossed!! I am just beginning the journey...getting "cold feet"...waiting for the date of my BPD/DS surgery...and getting stressed about giving up my favorite foods...but in lots of back pain (broken t-12 after car accident 2 yrs. ago) with my belly pulling on my back...that I'm about ready to just say: "yes, how soon?" to surgery (it's the drastic one where there is lots of malabsorption; any words of encouragement about giving up my favorite foods and resigning myself to a very restrictive, regimented diet post-op? thx. BAB

Bab. I think every one gets that feeling of anxt, I know I did, take plenty of support people with you when you go in for surgery, that helped me with the fear. As far as giving up favorit foods I had to give up Pasta, most breads and pies, they all give me dumping syndrome (you find out real quick what doesn't agree with you). I still eat what I always ate before just in real small portions. I've always liked lean meats so there was no change there, I did have to make a big adjustment with vegatables, I always liked steamed crunchy veggies or raw veggies, I still have them once in a while but not all the time. I also have a surgar free ice cream or surgar free chocolate once in a while for a treat. If you have been on your pre surgery diet you will find it pretty easy to stay on the meal plan that works best for you (I don't like the word "diet" to many bad experiences). Make sure you stay within the boundries of your post operative meal plan that they give you upon release and when you switch from liquid to solid use the small plates for your meals it wont look like a lot of food but after your first meal you probably wont be able to finish the whole thing, It took me a while to get used to seeing a small plate. Some times my eyes are still bigger than my stomach and thats using a small plate LOL. You are on a fantastic journey, before you know it your surgery date will be set and what seemed like an eternity, will pass quickly. It's ok to be scared, nervouse and all that, it is a major life change for all of us. keep up the good work! :cool: Tom

Back