• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New question about Instant Breakfast

Sandie

It is suggested to us at our center to use Carnation Instant Breakfast, I bought Carnation Breakfast Essentials and wonder if that is the same thing. Also, on the box in a big box it says 113G of Protein but where it has the calories and fats, carbos etc it says 5 g Protein so do not understand how it can be 13 on backof box but on side it says 5 g. The only thing I can imagine is that if you mix it with fat free milk? OR did I buy the wrong thing, is there a difference betw Breakfast Essentials and Instant Breakfast both NO surgar added.

Sandie-It is the same product. It used to be called Instant Breakfast and is now called Breakfast Essentials. Just make sure to buy the no sugar kind. The difference you are seeing is 13 grams of protein is with milk added and 5 grams of protein is without milk (product as packaged).

How much milk do you add? what can you add to make it thicker than a regular drink? I bought some protein drinks at the Vitamin Shoppe 12 for 29.99 which I think is a lot of money but must say tasted great. I bought all the flavors so 3 of the chocolate, 3 of the cookies and cream, 3 or Lemon and 3 of Stawberry to trial them but they are expensive in my opinon but important to have something that will not have me gagging after surgery. Will do the Instant Breakfast before surgery. Still looking for a good tasting Calcium Citrate Chew. I do not want pills that you chew but something chocolatety to chew if possible. I did find Calcet Citrate(nutritionist gave me one) and found them to be good tasting etc. But do not know of a store that sells them and if I buy on internet will cost an extra $5 for shipping :( Anyone know of brick and mortar stores that carry this chew or another that tastes good ?

Sandie-I'm not sure who you're asking your above question to but I'll aasume it's me and anyone else who wants to answer :) I don't use Carnation Instant Breakfast on a regular basis. I think Carnation's instructions are to add 6 ounces of milk but you can use as much as you want. You can make it temporairly thicker by blending in a blender using ice along with the milk. I use Unjury protein powder available at unjury.com and at some surgeon's offices. I also use EAS low carb protein pre-made shakes that I buy at Walmart for about $4.88 per 4 pack. I also buy Atkins pre-made shakes when they have a 6 pack for the price of a 4 pack at Walmart which runs around $6.

Yes, protein drinks are expensive but you get what you pay for. Also, think about it this way: how much are you currently spending on food? How much will you be spending on protein drinks and calcium citrate chews after surgery? Even adding in the cost of the vitamins and other supplements you will need to take I'm thinking none of us are spending any more after surgery than we did before surgery and probably are spending less, everything considered.

You can get great tasting calcium citrate chews from the store on this forum but you will need to pay shipping. Although I have seen calcium chews in stores they have sugar in them and they are not calcium citrate so we can't use them.

Sandie, the nutritionist at my Center said DO NOT use Instant Breakfast, even the sugar free. She was adamant about it. I am sure it wouldn't hurt anyone but I think the nutritionist wanted you to eat and drink the most protein for your buck. I think that 8 ounces of fat free milk runs about 9 Grams of protein (that is what my directions say and what I seem to remember from many years ago in my nutrition class).

Pat, how do the Atkins shake taste.

I think if you order $75.00 worth of things from the site on this Forum the shipping is free. I like the fruity concentrate protein drinks they have here. I wish the calcium citrate chews were higher than 250 mgs because I am supposed to take 2000 per day which means a bag of 60 would only last 15 days.

I still don't understand why it has to be calcium citrate. I have talked to several pharmacists and they say it shouldn't make a difference. I do, however, use the calcium citrate most of the time as instructed but no one has ever satisfactorily explained why. I have even researched this on the internet and the big difference seems to be whether you take it with food or not as to how it is absorbed.

Thanks Pat99
Javajoy Calcium citrate needs less stomach acid to be absorbed and since those with gastric bypass and sleeve have much less stomach they have much less acid available to break down the Calcium and Calcium Carbonate needs lots of stomach acid to be absorbed. The bigger question is why is Calcium Citrate much more expensive than Calcium Carbonate. My nutritionist and the book they give us all says Carnation Instant Breakfast blue box, Diabetitrim, EAS Advant Edge Carb Control, Syntax,Matrix Atkins Advanatage, Designer Whey and Workdwide Pure Protein Shake are the ones they suggest IF you are not Lactose Intolerant. Our Protein Goal is 60-70 grams/day in stage 2 amd possibly into all stages of the diet. In addition to the 5 8oz servings of Protien drinks(low to no sugar) we have to drink 64 oz of no calorie drinks like Crystal Light, sugarfree popcicles, Sugar Free jell-o etc. If I drink 16 oz of fluids in a day it is a lot for me so this will be an adventure!!!
I woke up last night slightly nauseated, which is not unusual for me, and I thought, do I want to feel like this for weeks or even months?? I am about 5 weeks away from doing this surgery and have wanted it for a while but now that I have the date and such, it is starting to get to me, I know in my head I am doing the right thing but then I think, why not just go on a protein drink diet for 6 mos and get down to my weight I want and be done with it but know I will not be able to lose it that way for one reason or another. the people who talk about gaining it all back SCARE me, I do not want to go through all this and rearrange my insides to have it all come back, I do not understand how that can occur if you forever can only take in small amounts of food.
I know when I have had it done and it is all over with, I will be grateful for having done it!

Well thanks Sandie, that is the most reasonable explanation I have heard which ties into "taken with or without food". I have almost the same requirements but my fluid intake of 64 ounces includes my shakes, popsicles, jello, tea or coffee or my crystal lite drinks. I would think a fluid overload might be possible for some people depending on kidney function etc. Also at this point in time and in fact even from the beginning I have not been allowed to substitute a shake for a meal. I have always been instructed to eat three meals a day from day one and then have the shakes in between. Works for me. As I have been able to increase my protein at meals I have been able to cut back on shakes much to the joy of my pocket book. I still do one shake just about every day. Learning to eat healthy has been the journey, low fat, almost no sugar, and a great decrease in the carbs and at least 60-80 Grams of protein a day. My weight loss is slower than many but I expected that with a lap band and it suits me fine. The biggest thing for me was not drinking 30 minutes before a meal or for 30 minutes after a meal and I still forget to chew chew chew and sip sip sip sometimes and I end up paying for it. After all this is for the rest of our lives.

I would ask your doc but given the lapband has NOT taken away any part of your stomach but has reduced the stomach size, you probably could use chews of Calcium Carbonate because your food goes into the small stomach and then drops into the part of the stomach that has the hormones and acides that digest foods so technically you are not missing any part of your stomach and I would think you could have the Carbonate type. BUT ask your bariatric center. It sure would cost you less and you are going to be taking Calcuim for the rest of your life. With Sleeve they cut off 2/3 of the stomach and it is gone forever, with bypass, that part of the stomach is cut off but is not gone, just not attached so not used and those are the parts of the stomach that absorb vitamins and minerals and that is why Calcium Citrate and Iron, B12 are all very important to take extra since it is not going to be absorbed in the far end of the stomach.

Hi Sandie,

I do take two vitamins with iron every day, B12 only once per week because my levels were low, 2000 mgms of calcium every day divided into four doses (has to be taken throughout the day) so I carry it in the car for traveling or day trips, then just a couple of routine meds that I have taken for years. At least they are all so small or chewable that I don't have to crush them anymore. ROFL, the doc will refer me back to the nutritionist in most instances. They did relax the no shakes as a meal by letting me have a smoothie in the morning because they go down so much easier. I am a bit tight in the morning.

I understand the A & P of each of the surgeries and that is why my program is slightly different from the other surgeries.

You can also increase the protein amount a bit in the Sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast by adding protein powder to it as well.
I have been stocking up on sample packets of the different protein powders as from what I have been finding out is that everyone's tastes have changed after the surgery. If you buy a larger amount of one that you like before the surgery-you may not like it afterwards and be stuck with a large amount of something you don't like.
You can also make your own popsicles from the protein liquid and get to chew on a clear liquid with protein in it.
There is also the unflavored protein powder out there that you can add to anything to increase the protein content.

I have been doing alot of looking around for the differant protein products especially for my early stages where I will be trying to get in the fluids and protein.

Carol

Back