• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new to all of this

Hi my name is Jennifer! I am 35yrs old and have been obese my whole life! 4yrs ago I fractured my hip socket which led them to find a congenital defect in both my hips. The prognosis was not good. Doctors said point blank lose the weight so we can fix you or end up in wheel chair! I have two amzing children who need me fully functional! So here I am!!! I started my journey in the beginning of November and my surgery date is set for January 20th!

Hi Jennifer. My name is Tom. Welcome! A broken hip sounds painful :eek: but maybe a blessing in diguise, the Doc's may not have found the congenital defect had that not happend. You are doing a great job, the more weight you can lose before surgery the better, it helps shrink the liver making syrgery go easier for the surgons they say it also helps with recovery time. You will have to let us know how it is going and attend support groups and ask questions every chance you get. :cool:

Thank you Tom for the welcome! I am very excited but getting nervous! I am also afraid that I am not going to lose the weight I am required to lose!! I see my doc on the 10th so wish me luck!!! keep up the good work!

Being nervous is normal, I was really nervous and had some anxiety, but I just had to keep in mind why I was doing this, what I had tried to do to lose weight and keep it off and to no avail, nothing worked and the yoyo weight loss and gain was getting really hard on my body, I was on high blood pressure and cholesteral meds with an asparin a day, now I am off all that. The day I went into surgery I was really scared but I had my three daughters there with me and all I remember was that after going into surgery was conting backward from 100 and then waking up with the nurse telling me to do something and me saying I dont want to. If you haven't found a support group look around for one, it was a requirement from my doctors, they said I had to go to at least two before surgery and I still go to them, write down questions you have, you can get answers there in between doctors visits. I am sure you will lose the weight you need to, your doing a great job. Tom :cool:

I was so nervous when I had my surgery. My fears were unfounded. It wasn't as bad as I thought and I didn't have a drain which made me happy. In a month I have lost 21 lbs. Sounds slow to me but I lost 72 lbs prior
to my surgery.

I am so glad I found this site!! you are all awesome!!! I am getting more and more excited about my surgery! Yes still nervous but not as bad!!!Thank you for all of the encouragement!!!

Jenny, I'd be surprised if you weren't nervous. The surgery end is just a small part of it. Just think about this amazing new journey and new life you're about to have! You'll do great! I'm a post-op and still attend support group meetings. Ask your surgeon for one. Two support group meetings were also a requirement for me. Best wishes on your new life!!!

Back