• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the process

Dianal

Hi Ya'll
Not too sure how to get this posted. I'm really interested in the pain after surgery and how long to real food. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Diana L.

DIANAL-I posted a reply about your pain question in another thread. As far as the food goes, you will be given written material with very specific instructions about what you can eat and / or drink and when you can start having them. Although the guidelines can vary from surgeon to surgeon they are pretty close. There are 4 meal plan phases and each lasts from 5 to 10 days depending on how well you tolerate certain things. The first 5 days (Phase 1) are clear liquids which include clear broths, water, sugar free caffeine free non-carbonated beverages like Crystal Light, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. Phase 2 is full liquids which include thin hot cereals made with skim milk and no calorie sweetener, sugar free pudding, thin instant mashed potatoes made with skim milk, low carb protein drinks, skim milk and tomato or V8 juice, sugar free applesauce plus everything from Phase 1. Phase 3 is pureed foods like cottage cheese mashed up with a fork, pureed lean meats and pureed eggs. You can add a small amount of fat free gravy or even lite mayo to the foods you puree and you can have everything from Phases 1 and 2. Phase 4 consists of very well chewed soft foods which are tender and moist plus everything from Phases 1 through 3. NO PASTAS, BREAD OR CRACKERS. I'm being very general here. Your surgeon or nutritionist will provide more specific instructions which will also recommend when to start adding certain foods until you are back to eating "normal" food but in much less quantity. You probably won't want anything for the first week or so but it's critical to have enough fluids and to have enough protein after the first week. The amounts will be defined in your instructions but is usually 64 ounces of fluids minimum daily and a minumum of 60 grams protein. Ounce for ounce the protein drinks count towards your daily fluid requirements.

Back