• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the site!

Debrayh

Greetings,
I am new to this site. My name is Debrayh (Pronounced Debra), but my good friends just call me Deb.
I had gastric sleeve surgery on May 19, 2014, in Tijuana, Mexico. My insurance gave me the run-around and the surgeon here in California said that it would take approximately 1 year to get approved for the surgery. I decided that I could not wait another year, my health was going down hill fast.

My life partner and I made the decision that for our 25th anniversary we were going to start a new healthy lifestyle and we decided to go outside the US to have the surgery. She has different health issues and less weight to lose then I do, but we decided to take this step together as a team.

We flew to San Diego on the 18th the people form the clinic in Mexico picked us up and took us across the border. We had blood test, xrays, etc then had our surgeries the following day. We spent two days in the hospital and one night at the Marriott before flying home.

We are both very happy with our decision and are looking forward to a healthier lifestyle.

Feel free to send me questions regarding our experience in Mexico.

Deb,
Congratulations to you and your partner. Wow, you had the surgery together! How was that? Also, was it difficult to travel only 3 days post-op?
How are you doing today? Are you feeling full from just drinking? How is trying to relearn how to eat?
Thanks for any tips, help or advice. I am 106 days pre-op.:rolleyes: I wish I didn't have to jump through insurance hoops.

Hi Deb, Welcome to the site. Congratulations to both you and your partner on your surgeries. You are both so lucky to be going through the process together. That is so awesome. You can encourage each other. I am 4 months post op on the 10th. I had a few problems post op and I will be going to see the surgeons PA tomorrow to discuss the problems that I have been having with my stomach. Come back often there is always new info on the site.

TillieS

:)RedMama,
I am doing great and yes I am not hungry. We have advanced to soft foods and it is amazing to be eating such small amounts and feeling full. Traveling 2 days postop was fine, the flight is only 90 minutes from San Diego to San Jose. And I had lost enough weight from the pre surgery liquid diet that I did not need to ask for a seat belt extender on the plane.

As for relearning to eat, I don't find it to be a problem, I am committed to this life style change and I have so many goals on my bucket list that I just think about all the things I want to do before I am really old and I put down the fork.

Also we found out as soon as we started eating food that if you take one bite too many, it is bad news. Your stomach feels like you swallowed a rock and if you take another bite you feel like vomiting. My surgeon warned me that vomiting is not a good thing. Not only does it fell bad, but it can stretch the stomach and it the early weeks after the surgery it can rupture the suture line, which would be really bad.

It will be interesting to see how things progress as the healing process continues. I am excited to be on this journey. I have battled my weight all of my adult life and I have tried every diet, lost weight and regained it after a few months.

Good luck with your process and feel free to message me with any questions that you might have about my experience.
Deb

Tillie,
I am sorry to hear that you are having issues. I understand how frustrating it can be when things do not work right. I hope the PA can give you the answers that you need,

I do feel luck that we have each other and her support and encouragement is priceless.
Deb

Well I went and saw the PA today and she is ordering an upper gi series and then we will go from there. I had an upper gi done but she said with the series they will be able to see the size and shape of my new stomach and make sure that nothing is going on. Then from there I will probably be going back to the psychiatrist because she said that a lot of people have a hard time dealing with the new them. So in other words she is trying to say that it is all in my head as far as my stomach problems are concerned. I am getting physically ill so I know that there is a problem somewhere. Oh well I will keep everyone posted.

TillieS

Tillie,
Don't be offended when she wants you to see the therapist. As a nurse I can say with confidence that there is an clear connection between the emotions and the body. Not that your emotional state is the cause or part of the cause, however the PA would be remiss in her duties if she did not address the mind body connection. Good luck and keep after them until you find the answers.
Deb

Well I went and saw the PA today and she is ordering an upper gi series and then we will go from there. I had an upper gi done but she said with the series they will be able to see the size and shape of my new stomach and make sure that nothing is going on. Then from there I will probably be going back to the psychiatrist because she said that a lot of people have a hard time dealing with the new them. So in other words she is trying to say that it is all in my head as far as my stomach problems are concerned. I am getting physically ill so I know that there is a problem somewhere. Oh well I will keep everyone posted.

TillieS

Tillie, I know how much you were looking foward to your surgery. I know how upset you were when they had to postpone your surgery. I think the doctors just want to rule out every cause possible because they don't really know you. We on this forum know how excited you have been to take the plunge into the bariatric lifestyle.

I am back in the hospital because of a stone left behind from my gallbladder. They have a bile drainage tube in me which will be removed in 5 weeks with my stone thats blocking my liver (hopefully) I have been feeling really bad but they can't figure out why my pain and nausea is so extremely bad. The point is one of my surgical nurses told me not to give up even when the doctors can't find the cause because she had problems and it took years of pain to find out her past surgery had caused some of her organs to adhere to her bowels and abdominal wall and that was causing her terrible pain. Don't give up Tillie. Maybe you should get another opinion. Every doctor doesn't know everthing. Even good doctors can miss things.

Good luck and I hope they can find your problem and fix it for you!!!

Cheyenne

Greetings,
I am new to this site. My name is Debrayh (Pronounced Debra), but my good friends just call me Deb.
I had gastric sleeve surgery on May 19, 2014, in Tijuana, Mexico. My insurance gave me the run-around and the surgeon here in California said that it would take approximately 1 year to get approved for the surgery. I decided that I could not wait another year, my health was going down hill fast.

My life partner and I made the decision that for our 25th anniversary we were going to start a new healthy lifestyle and we decided to go outside the US to have the surgery. She has different health issues and less weight to lose then I do, but we decided to take this step together as a team.

We flew to San Diego on the 18th the people form the clinic in Mexico picked us up and took us across the border. We had blood test, xrays, etc then had our surgeries the following day. We spent two days in the hospital and one night at the Marriott before flying home.

We are both very happy with our decision and are looking forward to a healthier lifestyle.

Hi Deb!!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

That was very brave of you and your partner to go to Mexico for surgery! So glad you both had a great outcome!!!

Keep up the great work, looks like you are losing weight at a real good rate! :)

Cheyenne. :cool:

Greetings,

Debrah, congratulations on your surgery and your partner's surgery. Being a nurse I know you know the importance of having follow up exams. Did you arrange with a Bariatric doctor before having surgery in Mexico? Have you gone in for post op surgery and labs yet? I hope this isn't too personal a question, but how much did you save going to Mexico for your surgery? Where in Mexico did you go? How long in Mexico were you before and after surgery? Gosh did I forget anything?
Thanks for sharing, kt

TillieS

Tillie, you know you're my surgery buddy and I got your back. Please listen to your PA and Deb, they are not trying to blame it on your head so don't let that idea get into your head and bother you, it's not productive.

You have been through so much these past six or seven months, that you have shared with us. I cannot imagine how you have coped so well. You are one of the most well adjusted people on this site so don't you worry. Deb is giving you valuable advice you should take it to heart and hang in there. I hope I haven't bee too harsh, I don't mean to. If you want to have a pity party, I'll come, after all you do deserve it. Maybe Cheyenne would like to come, lord know she too has have a rough go of it all too. I've had it pretty easy, but I can always conjure up some woe-is-me action. So we can all have a big Boohoo until we fall down laughing. If that works for you and anyone else, just let me know.
Love you all, and that means you too Debrayh, kt

Back