• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie, 9 Days Post-Op

Jazzycajun

Hi Everyone,
Had surgery on July 25, 2012 with some complications. Have many health issues and am in my 60's. They kept me in the hospital for 6 days for reasons too many to go into. I came home yesterday and think I am doing fine. It is VERY hard to get enough protein in during this initial phase of liquids. I never had any stomach/pouch pain from day one after surgery, just a bit of discomfort when I move, stoop, etc. so I consider myself fortunate. I'm hoping for some advice on how to make myself take in enough protein, vitamins, liquids, and all my meds (crushed, of course). Am on coumadin, lovenox, plavix, two BP drugs, prednisone, two types of insulin. Unlike most patients, my blood sugar spiked into the high-300's immediately following surgery and it is taking a while to become stable again. Part of that was the dextrose drip I needed for a few days.

I'm trying to stick to a schedule of whey protein shakes a little at a time until I have consumed at least 60 g of protein or more, supplementing with water, low sodium chicken broth (that's for my warmth and comfort:cool:), SF jello. It is WAY too much food for me right now so I'm forcing the shakes. I get full after about three sips but I guess that's to be expected. I'd rather that than the other way around! Please let me have any tips to get all of this into my obviously miniscule pouch so that I can stay healthy.

I'll be so interested in reading your stories and where this exciting journey will take me.

Hi JazzyCajun, Welcome. You are on a lot of meds, with any luck you will be able to drop the BP and Cholestoral medicine. I see you are on prednisone, that is enough to make any dibetics blood surgar spike, I would think as long as your on that you may need to keep using the diabetes meds.

As for protien the best thing to do is sip your shakes until they are gone and remember they count as fluid intake if you can get in 3 shakes a day that will cover your protien and aproxamatly 24 oz of liquid or you can try replacing one shake a day with yougurt as long as you can make sure you are still gettin a total of 60 grams of protien then the rest of you fluid intake can be jello water and/popcicles. I hope that helped a little.:cool: Tom

Jazzy-Welcome to the forum. Since phase 1 is clear low sugar liquids I don't remember being allowed to drink whey protein shakes this early. But if you are tolerating them then I guess that's a good thing. Just make sure to sip slowly throughout the entire day. Like Tom said, the protein drinks and other things like sugar free Jello and popsicles also count towards your fluid goals. You will notice it becomes easier to get more fluids in every couple of days, just make sure to stay hydrated. Don't go anywhere without something to drink. Sugar free drink mixes are my favorite and you can get Hawaiin Punch brand individual packetts at WalMart for $1 (8 packetts) in a lot of great flavors.

TwoMas and Pat, thanks for your replies. I have my first doc and nut appointments tomorrow which is 2 weeks since surgery. I'm doing much better now getting enough protein. It's still very hard for me to choke down all of my crushed meds throughout the day and hope I can come off some of them. I'm so excited because if they deem me doing well, I'll get some things to chew such as scrambled egg, cottage cheese, pulverized chicken and mushy veggies. Not much more than a couple of spoons of each, but I think it will improve my attitude. I've been on shakes and liquids for 37 days now. I'm used to it and could really go on longer like this if necessary but I'd be happy to have an egg or part of one. The small things in life!

Jazzy-So glad to hear you are able to drink more protein shakes than you were before. Protein is critical for your recovery, strength and weight loss. I was only on liquids for 1 week before surgery and 1 week after and by that time I was so sick of everything I couldn't wait to eat an egg *LOL* I made the mistake of hard boiling the egg and it hurt my pouch after only 2 bites because it was so dry so I suggest to eat soft scrambled. Don't push yourself, you probably won't be able to eat a whole egg at one meal for another week or even 2 weeks. Take things slow and easy and fall back on your shakes to get in enough protein. Unjury carries a line of great tasting high quality protein drink powders available at Unjury.com They carry an unflavored protein mix that you can put into things like grits, cream of wheat, oatmeal and other things like drinks and soups to help get enough protein. It really helps to use this in the beginning when you can only tolerate soft and bland tasting foods.

Back