• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie Here!

Hi everyone, my name is Teresa. I am new here as of today :cool: I will be having Open Gastric Bypass surgery on May 4th, and I am very excited and nervous at the same time. It took about 10 months to get to this point and I have learned so much along the way, and hope to learn more, especially from everyone here. I had a great "team" of professionals along the way, but one thing I found that was lacking was the nutrition/dietician support. I have been searching online, but also I hope everyone here can help along the way with tips. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Teresa-This is the first time I have heard that nutritional support was lacking. Since your surgery date is fast approaching you should have already attended at least one nutrition class and provided with written material with very specific meal plans. YIKES, I don't understand how it's even possible for nutrition not to have been thoroughly explored since this is the single most important thing after surgery. Try calling the surgeon's office to see if maybe something was accidently overlooked. I'm hoping that they just haven't scheduled you for a nitritional seminar yet. I didn't have my class until 2 weeks before surgery.

Teresa, Same thing here I'm scheduled for April 24th and nothing really about what I can have after surgery either??? They gave me a bag with some samples of vitamins etc and some papers telling me some foods and the protein count..but no idea how much protein I'm suppose to have each day? I guess I thought that someone would come in while I'm in the hospital to explain all of this to me? I'm hoping so because I'm looking online to try and figure that out as well??? Good luck to you!

Lori

Reading these posts is incredable to me-Pat99 has it right-post op procedures should be detailed and written as there is no way any patient can know or remember all the stages of eating and what foods go with what stage as foods are introduced back into your system-We were given detailed written instructions when we started our pre op liquid diet but prior to that as far back as the initial introductory meeting before we were even in the program we were provided with a power point presentation that had an overview of the process.At your next contact with your surgery group maybe you can make it a point to ask the Doctor or Nurse about the guidlines for post op reintroduction of liquids and foods.After all,it's something that's vital to your long term sucess.Good Luck Teresa
Ron

Ron, My surgeon didn't have me do the 2 week liquid diet. They told me that they usually do that in patients who were heavier than me and I stayed the same weight my virst visit as I was at my last just a month ago. I know the hospital I'm going to has a limit for what a person can weigh before they will do a surgery. I am worried about the whole not knowing what I can eat. They told me for the first 3 weeks I will be on a liquid diet clear the first week then liquid that doesn't have to be clear on week two? I'm going to ask while in the hospital if I can speak with a nutritionist. Or I'll be on here asking lots as I go thru this.

LOri

Ron, My surgeon didn't have me do the 2 week liquid diet. They told me that they usually do that in patients who were heavier than me and I stayed the same weight my virst visit as I was at my last just a month ago. I know the hospital I'm going to has a limit for what a person can weigh before they will do a surgery. I am worried about the whole not knowing what I can eat. They told me for the first 3 weeks I will be on a liquid diet clear the first week then liquid that doesn't have to be clear on week two? I'm going to ask while in the hospital if I can speak with a nutritionist. Or I'll be on here asking lots as I go thru this.

LOri
Hi Lori
At least they are starting you out ok-the instructions for the liquids right after your surgery are in line with everyone else-the next step is blender foods and that lasts a few weeks,then most likely the solid foods after that stage.I had my second post op doctor appointment at about 5 weeks and he told me I could eat anything I "could tolerate" at that point.I had different written instructions in a booklet from the clinical weight loss center and followed those.I did well by doing that.The sleeve surgery has a longer staple line to heal but not the re routing and cutting of the small bowel so maybe your eating schedule will be different than someone with an RNY,like me.
I remember the confusion of what comes after-we were all that way to one degree or another-after a while your eating and drinking schedule will be just like any other thing you do-you will develope your own system-we all did.
Good Luck-Be Well
Ron

I was given a binder at my pre op appt. I was the week before I started the 2 week liquid diet. It explained the clear liquid diet, then the full liquid diet, and then explained that the 3rd and 4th week would be pureed food and then 5th week would be soft. What it doesn't tell me is, what I can puree. I am hoping that comes with my follow up a week later. It does tell me all my water and protein goals. Tells me when to start my vitamins and which ones. I remember being overwhelmed at that point because we had covered this in about 40 minutes, before I met with the surgeon.

When I saw my surgeon on April 16 he told me he wanted me to try for at least 80gms a day of protein. Make sure when you are in the hospital you ask for a dietician/nutritionist consult before you leave, thats my plan. I hope all goes well for you!

Thanks Tram, we have no surgery groups that I know of, but I plan on drilling my doctor before I go home. I have a notebook with questions I have, been writing them down as I think of them.

Thank you Ron! By looking at your stats you have done amazing!!! WTG! I'm having such a hard time l sleeping as my time is nearing for the procedure. I'm thinking I won't need anestesia by the time I have it I'll be that tired. What you said about not knowing the difference in the two surgeries is what I wonder to is if it's the same. I'm not going to do anything other than what they tell me. I've heard horror stories about people eating things to quickly. Thanks again for the reply!

Lori

I also did not have much nutritional class pre op. I just had surgery Wednesday 4-18. I met with nutritionist 3 weeks ago, day before and while I was in recovery. I am still in so much pain that I find it difficult to consume more than 20 to 30 oz a day right now. Every time i swallow it feels like my heart is going to stop. This NOT how I wanted to lose weight. I haven't been able to pull my pants up since having surgery, I can't even bend over.

Yikes! This scares the crap out of me now. I don't even know what to say? I was wanting to hear from someone who had the sleeve done, but I wasnt' expecting it to be bad. My surgeon told me my pain level and recovery time would be the same as when I had my gallbladder out and that was a piece of cake for me I didn't even take a pain pill after that and was back to work on the 5th day. Hoping for the best and I hope you get back to feeling normal or at least the new normal. So sorry you're going thru this. I will pray for your quick recovery!

Lori
please keep me posted on how you're doing.

I did not mean to scare anyone at all. I mean I know this will all be worth it in the end, but from what I read the initial recovery wasn't this bad. I wish I would have had a broader idea of what could happen after. Scale says I'm down 15 lbs already so that will help get me thru this I'm sure. I am so excited for this new journey and i don't regret which surgery I chose are all :)

15 pounds in 4 days....that's insanely wonderful! :) I've been watching tons of youtube videos with people who have had the sleeve and I feel good about the one I've chosen. Hopefully what you are going thru will pass quickly!

Lori

Back