• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie to the forums!

ashyash27

This is my first post to the forums. I wanted to find a place to talk about my upcoming surgery and from what i've read you all are wonderful help!! I hope to get to know some of you through my process. Its a 6 month program that i'm going through with the 5% weight loss needed. I've started my food journals and my 2200 calorie diet. Not going to bad but it is hard to sit and count and eat really much slower than i'm used to. Its a big lifestyle change and I'm hoping i succeed in this journey. I'm hoping to have my surgery around the xmas holidays. only 5 more appointments to go and a few tests (sleep study, pft, and labs). I've even started a blog so hopefully i'll get it posted up soon and you all can join me on my story! Anyway just wanted to drop in and say hello! <3 ;)

Hi AshyAsh, Welcome. This is a big lifestyle change and change is not easy but if you have come the descision, and I am sure it came with much thought and soul seaching, you have tried everything else and it just wasn't working and if it did it didn't work for long. I didn't have a long program or weightloss reqirements but along the way at the begining of my journey I did lose a few pounds when I started changing what I ate and how I ate, it did seem difficult at the time but in the long run it helped me out when I started eating post op. Expect a rollercoaster ride of emotions, we all went through them and it is ok. This is a great forum to come to for support and if you are not sure of what to ask you doctors during visits along the jouney just ask and everyone is so very helpful. Do the best you can it can be a wonderful journey to a healthier you. :cool: Tom

ashyash27 welcome this room is amazing & very helpful

hi ashyash27
you've come to the right place to meet some wonderful people, they answer ? we have and everybody shares there stories of before and after w/l surgery.
I started my journey in jan2012 still waiting for surgery date, did all the test etc. Tom is right there are alot of emotions involved,I started out being so hyped up and happy and then crashed cause it's taken so long and still no surgery date, but I didn't gain all this weight over night and I have to accept the insurance co, has it's way of doing things and in the meantime I am suppose to be loosing weight and adjusting my eating patterns, somedays it goes well others well lets just say I need to improve,
welcome the room has brought me much happiness being able to share with others who understand what we are going through and the struggles with food and what to expect once surgery.
come back and share I think you'll like this space
Donna

Hi AshyAsh, good luck with your journey. You will find new friends and get great support here. I am 3 days post op and not feeling too bad, having trouble getting used to sleeping in my bed, as I am unable to sleep on my side yet and I am not handling the cool air in my room very well. I turn down the fan and people tell me it's too hot in here. But since the surgery, I have been freezing.

Do everything the doctor's tell you to do and things will be much easier on you. Start looking around now for protein samples and see what you like. IsoPure is good, as well as Unjury and some of New Life, I'll let you know about others as I taste them. The nutritionist at the hospital who also works in the pharmacy gave me tons of samples to help me get through a few days.

Hi and welcome this is a great site, I'm waiting on surgery and rollercoaster of emotions is right, but in the long run It seems most wind up happy they did it. Walmart sells Premier pure protein shakes that are ok and Muscle milk light shakes. 2200 hundred cals is not bad at all to start with I'm on 1200 cal per day. Try Fitnesspal.com to track your calories its easy to use. Exercise is the hardest thing for me right now because of back and knee pain but I know I just have to try harder. Good Luck and Don't give up reach out there is always someone here to encourage you.

Welcome Ashyash to the forum. I found this to be a wonderful forum, and I looked at many others. I too have started journaling my food intake (MyFitnessPal.com is a good one), but no one told me to count calories. I find that I do OK on calorie intake as long as I stay away from fast foods. The not drinking with meals doesn't seem too hard, but I'm going to have to work on eating slowly and chewing food longer.
I'm hoping for a surgery date at the end of this year, but my doc said it may be 2013 as they are moving offices and surgery locations. Stay focused!

Welcome to the forum, Ashyash27. It's a great place for information, support and friendships. Glad to have you aboard. :)

Back