• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

valjac51

Hi Everyone. I just had my appointment with my surgeon, and am now in the process of getting all of the clearances for the rny. This is my third attempt, and the doc says it's the "charm". I have many medical issues, but the ones that made me get serious are the uncontrollable diabetes, and the back and ankle pain from a herniated disc. I use an insulin pump U-500 insulin, and it still isn't really helping my levels go down. My endo said I have such insulin resistant diabetes that there's really nothing else he can do for me but keep increasing the dosage, which is making me gain even more weight! So, this resulted in my neurologist recommending a WHEELCHAIR! OH NOOOOOO! I work, and a college professor, so I need to be mobile and a wheelchair is not something I need to be restricted to.
I love all of the comments so far that I have read. I need support in this new lifestyle, and will be going to the support group here. But like today, I can't sleep from the apnea, so I'm online, looking for success stories and advice. After 7 years of using a CPAP, I still manage to remove it in my sleep. Weird.
My hope is to share my journey with you, and learn all I can to lose weight and become a fit person, something I have never been. My first doctor supervised diet was at age 6, and I have been fat all of my life. I don't know what it would feel like to wear regular sized clothes, cross my legs, or fit in every chair and be able to get up with no problem. I long for this, and to be able to enjoy life more, run around with my grandson, and go places I haven't been.
My name is Valencia, and I would love to hear from you!

Peace and Blessings to you all

I feel your pain! hi my name is Jenny I am 35yrs old and I have been huge my whole life! I am happy to say my surgery is this coming friday! this is my third attempt all my others I chickened out! well this time I made it. I am so glad you are trying again I wish you nothing but the best and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

Valencia-Try not to despair. You are on the right track by trying to get yourself together enough to have the surgery. I guess I am lucky that I am able to control my type 2 diabetes with metformin. I have had 2 back surgeries to repair herniated disks and I also have degenerative disk disease, DISH, obstructive sleep apnea, high blood pressure, edema, sciatica, nerve damage in both legs and spondylosis. As if that is not enough, I also need a total hip replacement-right side. I am scheduled for RNY on 2/27/12. Hopefully a lot of my symptoms will be alleviated once I lose a significant amount of weight and eventually I will be able to have hip replacement surgery.

By the way, I have been in a wheelchair since March 2010 and it isn’t the end of the world. It took me a while to accept the fact that I needed a wheelchair but it’s allowed me to keep my independence. I can’t do everything I used to do but that just gives me more incentive to have the RYN and get healthier. Please, use the chair if it lessens your pain, increases your independence, helps you get around better and lessens your chances of falling and further injuring yourself. Just consider the chair a temporary minor inconvenience.

By the way, I have been in a wheelchair since March 2010 and it isn’t the end of the world. It took me a while to accept the fact that I needed a wheelchair but it’s allowed me to keep my independence. I can’t do everything I used to do but that just gives me more incentive to have the RYN and get healthier. Please, use the chair if it lessens your pain, increases your independence, helps you get around better and lessens your chances of falling and further injuring yourself. Just consider the chair a temporary minor inconvenience.

Well said!!!

I feel your pain! hi my name is Jenny I am 35yrs old and I have been huge my whole life! I am happy to say my surgery is this coming friday! this is my third attempt all my others I chickened out! well this time I made it. I am so glad you are trying again I wish you nothing but the best and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

Hi Jenny! It's so nice to hear from you! I'm so excited for you, and my prayers are with you for a successful and pain-free surgery. Please stay in touch and when you can let me know how it all went. Of course, I am a little scared, but your experience will strengthen me! God bless you.

Valencia

Hi Pat!
I'm sorry to hear of all of your problems, and I thank you so much for your encouragement. I found out that it takes months for me to get a wheelchair, because of the insurance restrictions. It was disheartening, since I need one immediately, but thank God for Vicoprofen and Neurontin! LOL
I too have edema, which is also painful, as you know. I found out that one of the blood pressure meds was the main culprit, and now I don't take it. So far, my blood pressure has been good. But I can relate to the pain you are in!
When I do venture to stores, I use the Amigos and whatever motorized carts are there. Sometimes it's unbelieveable how much it hurts to just move. I dread winter with the ice and snow, since I work, and have to walk into my building, which sometimes hasn't been shoveled by the time I get there. And finding shoes has become an issue with the swelling of my feet! I can't wait for this surgery if it indeed will help all of these problems.
My prayers are with you for a successful surgery! God knows we need it, and I'm so grateful for the medical ability to help people like us at this time in our lives. I look forward to grinning with delight at your successes and milestones!

Love and Peace...

Valencia-Yes, it can take a while for insurance to approve a wheelchair but it shouldn't take much more than 6 to 8 weeks. It helps if you keep calling your insurance provider and the company that will be providing your wheelchair. I have a power wheelchair which my medical insurance covered at 80%, I also bought a manual wheelchair this past fall as a backup unit. The power chair has had its share of mechanical issues and needs battery replacement often (due to me not charging properly) so I decided to get the manual one so I wouldn't be without. I found it on Craig's List. It was never used and was only $120, well worth it.

Thank you for your kind words and good luck with completing your pre-surgical testing and approval. You will learn to love your wheelchair as soon as you adjust your attitude toward having to use it. And don't worry about what other people think about you being in a wheelchair. If they have an issue then it's their problem, not yours. I have learned to say "why walk when you can roll". LOL

Pat,

How is it with getting the wheelchair in and out of your car? I am so weak I'm afraid it would be too heavy, anyway. I really need it at work when I have long distances to walk across the campus, for meetings. But my everyday office area is contained in one building, so I really don't need it there.

Also, has anyone on this site had problems with constipation before surgery? I have had chronic constipation for years and am laxative dependent, so I wonder how that will affect me after surgery. Will I still have this issue (or non-issue, LOL)? Any comments I greatly appreciate. :)

Valencia-Since I don’t know if you are going to have a manual or power chair or a power scooter I will cover all 3 scenarios.

A power wheelchair is by far the heaviest, especially the heavy duty models that we require. Mine weighs about 250 lbs.; the 2 batteries are the heaviest components. Most power chairs do not come apart for transport in vehicles. I had to purchase a lift for my vehicle so I could take my chair with me when needed. There are MANY models and manufactures of lifts and I can PM you more information if you want. If you decide to buy a lift you do not and probably should not purchase it from your wheelchair provider because the choices are limited and probably will cost more than you really need to spend. Insurance WILL NOT pay for a lift or the cost of installation. Lift models vary from interior styles that you would use inside a van and exterior models that can either be mounted from a trailer hitch or attached inside the back “hatch” of an SUV that allows you to lift the chair up and swing it inside of the hatch. The hitch mounted models can be motor assisted or manually operated. The hatch style models that I have seen are all motor assisted.

A manual wheelchair is by far the lightest in weight but the heavy duty models are heavier than the regular models. I’m guessing here but I think 70 lbs. and up would be close. Some manual chairs break down into smaller components to make them easier to get into your car. If the chair will fit into the back seat of your vehicle it will probably be easier for you to get it in there instead of into your trunk or hatch. I say this because you can sort of lift and slide it into a back seat but you have to physically lift it off the ground to get it into a trunk or hatch. They also make carriers that attach to the rear of a vehicle on the outside, much like a bike rack.

A scooter that breaks down into lighter components would be a better overall choice in my opinion. Not all scooters break down so you need to ask the question before you buy. The other questions to ask are if tools are required and how heavy is the heaviest piece one it’s broken down. I think most scooters, once broken down, will fit into most trunks. Again, ask the question based on your vehicle. My insurance WOULD NOT pay for a scooter even though they cost less than a chair. Insurance carriers do not care if you need to use your chair or scooter outside of the house. They are only obligated to make you mobile inside of your home. That is why they will usually not pay for a scooter and will definitely not pay for a lift, or ramps, or anything else related to getting your chair or scooter in and out of your house or vehicle. It’s sad but true! And heed this warning-DO NOT tell your insurance carrier that you use your chair or scooter outside of the house or they WILL NOT cover any repairs or battery replacements. I speak from experience!

Another thing I thought of based on your work circumstances is that you might consider storing your chair or scooter inside of your office so you don’t have to transport it back and forth daily. This would also save you money on purchasing a lift. You would only need to transport it one time to your office and then back to your house when it needs to be serviced. All you need is a couple of strong guys and a friend with a van and you're all set. As I mentioned above, insurance will not pay for repairs if they know you use it outside of your home.

I hope this helps you out. I wish I had this information available to me before I chose my chair lift. I ended up with one that mounts to a trailer hitch outside of my SUV. Not a wise choice for Michigan weather *LOL* I often have to cancel appointments due to rain. If I had to do it over again I would buy one of the models that mounts in the rear hatch area and swings inside. I would still have to be aware of the rain but at least the chair would stay dry inside the car until I got to where I was going. They usually give you a cover for a chair or scooter but they only do so much good. Speaking about rain, if you damage your chair or scooter electrical system because of rain (or snow) your insurance will not pay for repairs and you will also void your warranty.

Thanks, Pat!! Wow, I had no idea this was such a chore. Well, I'm back to work, and it has been hard, but I don't have money yet to buy a new van! OMG! I work between 2 campuses, so I couldn't really benefit from storing the chair in my office. Plus, it could get stolen, considering where I work! I found out that our security office will give me a ride to meetings in a golf cart, since I am disabled, so I will do that for the time being. I really look forward to losing the weight and relieving my joints of this pressure! I see the neurologist tomorrow for the FMLA paperwork completion, so if need be, I will take any days off I can't manage. My job is subtly pressuring me by denying me overtime classes, so my income is reduced for this semester. I am already in financial distress, since I am the sole financial support of my disabled daughter and grandson. She is waiting on disability, and has been since 2006, and it is a ridiculously long process. At least now she has a lawyer, which I see is needed for anyone applying for benefits.

Again, thank you for the valuable information. Have a blessed and wonderful day, on the "roll" LOL.

Back