• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

cnc1224

Hi! My name is Cristy. I am 28. I will be having my consultation Oct 29. I will decide then, after speaking thoroughly with my Dr, if I will have gastric bypass or sleeve performed on Nov 18. At this time my husband and I are leaning more towards sleeve. I have one friend that has had this done but 4 friends, one being my mother, that has had gastric bypass. I am nervous. I had surgery earlier this year (hysterectomy) and the recovery from it was pretty miserable. I am hoping this will be much smoother.
I have battled weight most of my life. As a child I was in and out of the hospital due to stomach issues and my mother was told after one test that my metabolism for my age was pretty slow and it would probably get worse as I aged. In high school I was pretty active and ate only the bare minimal (sometimes even skipping most meals) just to maintain an 'ok' weight even though I was overweight then. Now, I am a stay at home mom of 4 wonderful kiddos, and my weight is very bothersome. I have really bad knees. My Dr said only low impact exercises and I needed to lose apx 100lb pretty quickly to help my knees last longer. Yo-yo weights, diets, medicines, shakes and exercise... I'm at a breaking point. My hips and knees hurt almost constantly and I'm not having much luck losing or keeping the weight off. So here I am. Next weekend will be my final weigh in for my insurance's mandatory 6mo supervised diet program. I have attended all seminars, support groups, and had the psych eval as required by Dr and insurance. I am excited to get this new life started!!!

Welcome to the board Christy. Take your time and make the best decision for you. I went with RNY because my insurance wouldn't pay for the sleeve. Glad it worked out that way, because I'm addicted to Sugar. With RNY, if you eat too much sugar you will suffer from dumping syndrome, at least the vast majority do. I'm too much of a coward to find out, because once I start, I won't be able to stop. Both surgeries are good for getting to your goal weight, but remember it is only a tool and will work only if you put in the effort and change the way you look at and eat food. Good luck and ask any questions you'd like before your meeting.

Frank

:cool:

Welcome to the board Christy. Take your time and make the best decision for you. I went with RNY because my insurance wouldn't pay for the sleeve. Glad it worked out that way, because I'm addicted to Sugar. With RNY, if you eat too much sugar you will suffer from dumping syndrome, at least the vast majority do. I'm too much of a coward to find out, because once I start, I won't be able to stop. Both surgeries are good for getting to your goal weight, but remember it is only a tool and will work only if you put in the effort and change the way you look at and eat food. Good luck and ask any questions you'd like before your meeting.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you!
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes therefore we TRY not to have sugary items in the home. We've been doing the whole pantry/fridge makeover slowly but we will get there.

The hardest part is finding time for me. I still have that 'I don't want to be selfish.' feeling and it's not so easy to shake. I told my husband the other night that I have considered not having surgery because of the money we have spend that insurance doesn't cover (the co-pays, the shakes for the 2 weeks before, and of course the remaining 20%). I feel like my children need that money and then I am reminded that doing this will help me be around for them. So in a way this is for my children.

I began my 6 month supervised diet (as required by ins) April 29. I haven't had much success in losing weight BUT I have learned a lot and made a lot of changes. We are using more 'less processed' food. Less carbs. More protein. More fruit/veggies. And we have started reading labels! I have also started skipping seconds and allowing myself to indulge every once in awhile so I won't binge. We have also started exercising. Might not be much every day but we AT LEAST try to get in 15min on the stationary bike.

I am also starting to catch comments from 'friends' about how I will forever regret this and I'm cheating and blah blah blah. I didn't realize growing thicker skin would be a necessity! LOL!

Hi Christy.. I think all the insurance requirements, 6 months supervised diet and tests etc. are harder and more time consuming than the actual surgery was. Dont listen to negative comments. Let them go in one ear and out the other. Good Luck!!!

Yeah, I wonder if thicker skin doesn't wrinkle as much. haha. When I started logging my food intake, I quickly realized that there was nothing in a fast food restaurant or other restaurants that was really worth eating because of the fat and calories. Since I stopped going to fast food restaurants, I always have cash in my pocket. I'll carry around the same $20 bill all month. Your kids will benefit too by your new and healthier food choices.
You will have to make exercise a priority in your day, something you have to do, just like taking a shower. Again, your kids will benefit from your lifestyle changes.
I did go into a McDonald's the other day to buy a gallon of tea for a party, and they now have calories counts next to the food choices. All of the food choices. I probably would have eaten fewer sausage and biscuits in the past if I knew they had 490 calories!

I planned on the bypass but had some strange anatomy and ended up with a sleeve. It has been a blessing. I am 54 and wish I had been able to do it 25 years ago. I am sure you will do great and we are all here for you, day or night, rain or shine. Keep moving forward. Both surgeries have great success as long as it is combined with a life style change.

Back