• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

no fiber, any suggestions?

jlcrimm

I need some advice, I am so busy focusing on eating protein. I dont think I am eating any (or very little fiber. What do I need to do? I am not regular anymore and I assume that will effect my weight loss.
Julie

I need some advice, I am so busy focusing on eating protein. I dont think I am eating any (or very little fiber. What do I need to do? I am not regular anymore and I assume that will effect my weight loss.
Julie

Hi, Julie,

You're right. You won't be able to eat sufficient fiber for some time to come. Supplementation is the appropriate solution to add some fiber to your diet.

Some bariatric surgeons and their nutritionists regularly prescribe a fiber supplement for their post-op patients. Citrucel or a generic is the most commonly prescribed I know of. If you were not prescribed anything, check with your medicos and see if they will authorize something for you.

Hi, jlcrimm,
Qaterra is right, the only way we are going to get any fiber is to add it to our liquids. Personally I add a little Miralax OTC into my water and sip it each day, it has been a big help. Miralax has no flavor.
KarenLB

Qaterra is right, the only way we are going to get any fiber is to add it to our liquids. Personally I add a little Miralax OTC into my water and sip it each day, it has been a big help.

As I understand it, Miralax is both a stool softener and a laxative. Aren't you concerned about becoming laxative dependent?

I am feeling your discomfort. Since I had the surgery, things have not been right. I take a supplement from the healthfood store. It is clear and mixes easily with water. I also have begun stool softeners. I eat high fiber foods in the amounts I am suppose to be eating. I have to tell you it is not working. I took a laxative on Sunday and Monday and it is not working. It has been 9 days. I see my surgeon on Thursday, but they keep telling me the same thing take a supplement. I'm feeling bloated and I think this is slowing my weight loss. I will let you know how I make out at the docs to see if he can advise something.

Back